Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:07 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,895,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawk1 View Post
Thanks for all of the info. I guess my only "concern" with the subway is getting off of it at night and the station being very lonely. Are there typically many people that get off of the subway at some of the major downtown stations following a night game?

Honestly if you leave after the game there will be many people getting off at the main Center City stops - the stations are fine and honestly i always feel pretty safe in the CC stations even at night without crowds but there will be many other people with with (in cities there is a safety in numbers component) and as soon as you pop up to the street there will be many people out and about.

As far as hotels go I have recomended before and know that good rates can be had on weekends at the Sofitel and Palomar which are great locations in Center City and would put two blocks from the Walnut Steet Station for the Broad Street line - the subway ride is ~10 mins to the stadium
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 01:14 PM

32 posts, read 105,885 times
I'm a female (from Iowa originally) and there is nothing to worry about. I have ridden the subway to and from Phillies games probably 75 times (solo, with husband, and just me and my kids) and have never had any bad experiences, except for being really crowded! The subways will be packed going to and from games and many people will be getting out at the various CC stops. Many stay to party, eat or drink in CC after the games. It will NOT be a problem. Thousands of people take the subway to and from games--it's the best way to go!

If you are looking for relatively inexpensive and close CC hotels, I would recommend the Doubletree. It's right at Broad and Locust. You could literally get out of the subway and be at the hotel in 30 seconds. They have some good deals there and I usually put my Iowa relatives up there when they come for a visit. The Holiday Inn Express at 13th and Walnut is also relatively inexpensive (as far as CC hotels go) and would be one block from the Broad and Walnut subways stop.

In my opinion, you should DEFINITELY stay in CC and take the subways to and from games. Center City has a lot to offer and you would enjoy yourself so much more!

EDIT: Just as FYI, I used the term CC to denote Center City, which is what Philadelphians call their downtown core.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:50 AM

69 posts, read 147,355 times
Thanks again to everyone who responded to my question and concerns. I think that staying in the CC is the way to go!!

Old 06-28-2011, 04:55 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iowahawk1 View Post
Thanks for all of the info. I guess my only "concern" with the subway is getting off of it at night and the station being very lonely. Are there typically many people that get off of the subway at some of the major downtown stations following a night game?
Yes.

I concur with everyone else - stay in Center City and ride the Broad Street Line to the stadium complex. (For whatever it is worth I did that last September and plan to do it again this coming September.)

Another hotel that is a possibility is Club Quarters, which I think is between 17th and 18th on I think Chestnut or Walnut. Be aware that the economy rooms there are REALLY small. It caters to a business crowd (i.e. mid-week stays), so good rates can sometimes be had on the weekend only 2-3 months in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia