Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 10:50 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what is going with the development of the Village at Valley forge

They started moving dirt but are they ever going to build this?

Village at Valley Forge (http://www.mypinwheel.com/accounts/pw_05132001/links/index2.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 01:08 PM

521 posts, read 1,314,393 times
That looks to be a New Urbanist development-- they're selling it like it's the new heaven on earth, on that web site.

I wonder how many such New Urbanist neighborhoods and developments have been created in Philly area. They are a huge trend here in Texas and many exurbs, and some older inner suburbs as well as within the cities, there have been such developments popping up. I have mixed feelings for them...some of them are full of hype but turn out to be not much more than strip centers.

Old 05-16-2010, 03:13 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,529,885 times
Never heard of that one but Uptown Worthington in Malvern has been under construction for a few years now - the Wegman's is almost open! Don't know about the residential side of things.

Worthington

Old 05-16-2010, 04:47 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,220,702 times
Nothing happening at all in the past year. I go by there 5-6 times a week.

Victim of the economy.Thank goodness.

I wish our suburbs would get away from these tedious, isolated new urbanist developments.

The expanded area west of 202 where this development is could be developed into something very special. Think Portland Oregon not Village at Valley Forge.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:18 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,946,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
Nothing happening at all in the past year. I go by there 5-6 times a week.

Victim of the economy.Thank goodness.

I wish our suburbs would get away from these tedious, isolated new urbanist developments.

The expanded area west of 202 where this development is could be developed into something very special. Think Portland Oregon not Village at Valley Forge.

If they are going to build it should integrate either light or regional rail - perfect opportunity for an area screaming for it - and all the way up 422 too

odd thing is Suburban Square in Ardmore is largely considered the first planned New Urbanist development of the type - look at far these have lost their way

Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,568,203 times
New Urbanism is silly. Creating the ideal living style and accommodations, and the ideal community is a fantasy planners have been chasing for decades. It simply doesn't work that way. Real neighborhoods that are the most successful grow up of their own accord. You simply can't zone and plan for success. It has to happen naturally.

Within the proper framework of course. I'm not bashing urban planning. It just seems like too often they go too far though.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:27 PM

521 posts, read 1,314,393 times
New Urbanism is simply urban-lite development that is meant to attract suburbanites in order to make them feel more "at home" in urban settings. Kind-of a stepping stone to getting truly urban, perhaps. And even so, most New Urbanist developments make plenty of room for the car...they simply put the garage or lots in the rear end or out of the view, so that the development looks and feels urban, but wouldn't work without the car.

As for Ardmore's Suburban Square...last I'd heard, SEPTA and the town were working on a TOD at the station. Did anything come off that plan, or is that still just on the paper?

Old 05-16-2010, 08:40 PM

21 posts, read 75,225 times
I'd love to see more walkability in the King of Prussia area its just way to car centric. I don't know much about this development but the one in Malvern is right next to where I work.

Whats most likely to happen is that the developments will create more traffic and the residents of the square will be the ones to benefit from the walkability.

Old 05-16-2010, 08:55 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,568,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by a75206 View Post
New Urbanism is simply urban-lite development that is meant to attract suburbanites in order to make them feel more "at home" in urban settings. Kind-of a stepping stone to getting truly urban, perhaps. And even so, most New Urbanist developments make plenty of room for the car...they simply put the garage or lots in the rear end or out of the view, so that the development looks and feels urban, but wouldn't work without the car.
I know, its just you still build these things on the roll of the dice. You hope people behave the way the environment is set to make them, and that hasn't worked in the past. Perhaps I'm just jaded though.

Although its nice to see that people want to change that typical suburban lifestyle.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:47 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,220,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofJoePA View Post
I'd love to see more walkability in the King of Prussia area its just way to car centric. I don't know much about this development but the one in Malvern is right next to where I work.

Whats most likely to happen is that the developments will create more traffic and the residents of the square will be the ones to benefit from the walkability.
There are 3200 counties in the usa. Chester Copunty is 19th wealthiest and MOntgomery County is the 40th wealthiest in the country but its a planning nightmare outside of the Eastern section of the Main Line and even that section needs a face lift.

Dekalb Pike thru Upper Merion is a disgrace. They need to knock down that dinosaur of a mall and all of those outdated strop malls and rethink their plans.
Village at Valley Forge /UptownWorthingtom makes me nauseous.

Enough of the BJs/ Home Depot- Lowes/Target Mega centers.

Chestnut Hill and Center City are the best planned neighborhood in the country yet our suburbs keep replicating these isolated town center and mcmansion trends where only the developer prospers. Unbelievable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia