Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 03:20 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonKnight View Post

Based on stats Doylestown isn't too diverse. While we are 100% Americanized, we of course "look" foreign due to skin color. Do you think we'd be somewhat welcomed? (No offense taken no matter what you write)

Thanks again...
I think you need to stop obsessing about this. Everyone keeps telling you you'll fit in just fine in this area. Be proud of your origins and stop worrying!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 04:41 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonKnight View Post
Casadegirlie....

Based on stats Doylestown isn't too diverse. While we are 100% Americanized, we of course "look" foreign due to skin color. Do you think we'd be somewhat welcomed? (No offense taken no matter what you write)

Thanks again...
Absolutely you will be fine..

Old 02-08-2012, 07:21 AM

60 posts, read 115,780 times
Thanks for the replies and yes, I have been asking this same question on different threads.

Funny part is, I NEVER thought about this stuff until I had a baby. Certainly, I grew up at a time when "Dora the Explorer" wasn't being drilled into young people's heads and attitudes were a little different. For a brief time I lived in Wisconsin where the demographics were similar to Bucks. I remember being called names, being picked last for sports teams, etc. That was a long time though, and since then I've just considered myself "American", no hyphen nonsense.

But now, all of a sudden I think about my daughter and us relocating and I really want to make sure I'm not putting her in a bad situation so I guess that's why my paranoia.

Appreciate the replies everyone, keep em coming!

In 6 months if you see a somewhat fat guy walking around Bucks in a Washington Capitals hockey jersey, well, feel free to come say hi

Old 02-08-2012, 02:49 PM

149 posts, read 324,132 times
Unfortunately no, my name is based off of the school, Villanova. Sorry for the confusion .

As you can probably tell, there is very little difference between the two areas. I have lived in Northampton Twp (just across the Neshaminy Creek from Newtown) for the past 15 years. Went to school & taught in CR schools & subbed in CB schools. My fiance has worked in a bunch of elementary schools in CB & has family in Buckingham (the area between Doylestown & New Hope). There really is very little difference between the two areas. You will find snobs in both, but also some very well-grounded families. From my time as a student to my time teaching, I definitely get the feeling that there is a growing Asian population in CR & I'm sure its similar in CB so you will have NO issue assimilating into the community.

I think it really comes down to proximity vs. the town itself. Doylestown is bigger and I would LOVE to live in the borough itself. However, I work in the city and there is NO way I would put myself through that commute every day. If you like a more rural/Norman Rockwell-esque country setting, Doylestown might be for you. (Newtown does as well, it's just not as large an area and depending on which way you go, you can quickly move into higher density suburbs). If you prefer being nearer to your job, the city, shopping malls & other attractions, Newtown's def your best bet. Its not as big as Doylestown (not that D-town is that huge), but what you can't do in town, you can do close by. Both have cute older homes & seas of McMansions so that shouldn't be a problem. And if you're REALLY picky about schools, I would give the slight edge to CB.

Otherwise, it should all be about what you're willing to tolerate as far as distance to things & the comfort level you feel with your new home &/or neighborhood.

Oh & PS, be careful wearing that Caps jersey around. If you try to buy a cheesesteak wearing that, these Flyers fans might beat you up .

Last edited by NovaDragon; 02-08-2012 at 02:59 PM..

Old 02-09-2012, 08:06 PM

13 posts, read 20,123 times
My husband and I will be moving back shortly....we have a 3 year old and a 3 month old. My hubby is asian also and he feels more comfortable down there than he does where we are now (maine). He grew up in Maine and I grew up in Newtown. We are moving down to that area because of the schools and the amount of opportunities that there would be for our children. We are in the same boat...doylestown, buckingham, and warrington area or Newtown/Upper Makefield/Washington Crossing. New HOpe is also nice....schools are much smaller

Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 AM

692 posts, read 2,351,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecan5939 View Post
My husband and I will be moving back shortly....we have a 3 year old and a 3 month old. My hubby is asian also and he feels more comfortable down there than he does where we are now (maine). He grew up in Maine and I grew up in Newtown. We are moving down to that area because of the schools and the amount of opportunities that there would be for our children. We are in the same boat...doylestown, buckingham, and warrington area or Newtown/Upper Makefield/Washington Crossing. New HOpe is also nice....schools are much smaller
New Hope is a great area that people don't mention as much as they should on these boards. Although thats partially due to home prices being high, and sales being fewer and far between.

Old 02-25-2012, 04:02 PM

60 posts, read 115,780 times
Sorry for late reply.

Currently live in Clifton. It's between Fairfax and Centreville. Right off braddock and union mill road. thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM

43 posts, read 77,808 times
I am a little late on the subject, but I would say Newtown. Newtown has some of the top schools in Bucks County. There are always things to do and going on. Camps all over the place and classes for kids at night. Local meeting to keep Newtown looking its best. I live in Newtown and really do enjoy it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia