Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 6,767 times

Advertisements

Help! My family is moving to Philadelphia next summer. I've been there three times in my life and never outside of the city. We need to find a place to live. We have four children and a good public school district is the most important factor. We can spend about $350K for a house/condo/apartment. My husband and I are both working in the city so it would be great if we could live somewhere with public transportation via train, but not required. We're not house people, so we really don't care about lot size, charm, etc. Right now, we rent a townhouse in the DC suburbs. Our rent is about $3,000 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 04:36 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
The first question is where in the city will you guys be working? That will give us the borders and the nearest suburban area for you.. IE.. If you are working in Somerton, it would not make much sense to be looking at Delaware county or if you are working at the airport it would not make sense to look at Bucks county

Old 03-12-2012, 05:56 AM

5 posts, read 19,407 times
The main line suburbs of Philadelphia have excellent schools, a few of them nationally recognized (T/E, Radnor, Lower Merion) I have a nice list of school rankings I can send you if you want, email me. pfrscott at yahoo.com. The R5 train line travels through the entire main line to Philly. I was born and raised here and know a lot about all the towns surrounding Philadelphia. If you want further help, please don't hesitate to email me your questions. Scott.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,483,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfrscott View Post
The main line suburbs of Philadelphia have excellent schools, a few of them nationally recognized (T/E, Radnor, Lower Merion) I have a nice list of school rankings I can send you if you want, email me. pfrscott at yahoo.com. The R5 train line travels through the entire main line to Philly. I was born and raised here and know a lot about all the towns surrounding Philadelphia. If you want further help, please don't hesitate to email me your questions. Scott.
If i had to find a house for a family of six on a budget of $350K, i wouldn't be looking on the main line. more likely either the outer-ring suburbs or some of the less expensive inner-ring suburbs. I would look at the SEPTA map and look at what you can get on your budget along the various train lines. Most of the suburban school districts are excellent, but this will give you a reference point. Generally, the top 50 districts on that list are all very good.

http://www.phillymag.com/articles/th...istricts_2008/

Old 03-13-2012, 06:11 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
Bucks County is a good area to look with a $350k budget. Yardley/Lower Makefield offer some great places to live for that price and within the Pennsbury School District.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:43 PM

958 posts, read 1,197,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
The first question is where in the city will you guys be working? That will give us the borders and the nearest suburban area for you.. IE.. If you are working in Somerton, it would not make much sense to be looking at Delaware county or if you are working at the airport it would not make sense to look at Bucks county
This is a great point. If you're working in Center City or parts of West/Southwest Philly then I would suggest anywhere along the 101 trolley line past Upper Darby township or even better anywhere along the Media/Elwyn Regional Rail line past Secane. Everything after that has great schools. There's also the Paoli/Thorndale line or even the Norristown High Speed Line from 69th street, which goes through plenty of Main Line places.

Here's something you might find helpful SEPTA | Clickable Regional Rail & Rail Transit Map

Old 04-05-2012, 02:58 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,872,134 times
I guess louguy left the building

Old 04-09-2012, 02:23 PM

43 posts, read 77,780 times
Bucks County PA would be a great place to look for a house. Lots of different public transportation to get you to Philly likes trains and bus. Lots of major highways go right through Bucks to Philly. Also Bucks has a excellent selection of schools to choose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia