Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 02:11 PM

7,500 posts, read 7,202,162 times

Advertisements

Partner and I, early 40's, are looking to possibly relocate from Northern VA to Philadelphia. Lived here and only here all our lives and finally decided if we don't do it now, it might not ever happen. While we love the area, there are many pros and cons and lately the cons seem to be outweighing the pros. Looking to move from rural to urban living.

Have heard the following might be of interest:

(1)Washington Square West section of Center City(Downtown) would be worth considering give the number of nearby LGBT-friendly establishments

(2) Areas within a mile of Center City, but not sure what this might include; maybe Queen Village, Bella Vista, Fairmont, GradHo and University City?

(3) South Philly (such as East Passyunk and Newbold)

(4) University City (West Philly)

(5) Mount Airy and Chestnut Hill (both in NW Philly)

Our careers are in defense contracting and social services, and we are interested in feedback, particularly from other gay couples, on suggested communities to take a look at when we visit in a couple of weeks. Also, would appreciate any suggestions on hotels that might be nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 03:54 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,119,599 times
All the areas you mentioned are fine and welcoming. I've lived here 20+ years in Center City, South Philly and Bella Vista problem free. My partner and I are moving in to a place in West Philly in June and I don't foresee any problems as it's a crunchy area.

Keep in mind there are bad sections in South and West, but you'll know them when you see them. Bad areas in Philly actually look bad, so there's not much guesswork involved.

Old 05-14-2012, 04:36 PM

How would you compare Center City, South Philly, and Bella Vista?

Can you elaborate on your interest in moving to West Philly over the above 3 areas?

Any feedback on the other areas I have mentioned, particularly Washington Square West section of Center City? Curious how they compare as well as Society Hill, Rittenhouse Square and Olde City areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
All the areas you mentioned are fine and welcoming. I've lived here 20+ years in Center City, South Philly and Bella Vista problem free. My partner and I are moving in to a place in West Philly in June and I don't foresee any problems as it's a crunchy area.

Keep in mind there are bad sections in South and West, but you'll know them when you see them. Bad areas in Philly actually look bad, so there's not much guesswork involved.

Last edited by movin2Reston; 05-14-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Honestly it really depends on your personal preferences. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It depends on the surroundings you prefer and your budget.

I'm moving to West Philly just because I have a house waiting for me to move into. All other things being equal I'd choose Center City west of Broad (where I live now) or possibly Bella Vista.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 PM

434 posts, read 1,313,899 times
I hope this doesn't sound like a cop out, but your best bet is to come see these areas (which it sounds like you've already got planned). They're all close in proximity and the differences between some of them is almost too subtle to capture in message board format. All are nice choices (with the possible exception of the South Philly ones), so it will probably come down to what just feels best to you when you see it.

That said, if you want urban and can afford something in Center City, that would be my recommendation. The places you list in (2) are good, but on the whole the Center City box -- from Race St to South St and between the rivers -- is more highly regarded.

WashWest is fantastic with a nice community vibe (inclusive of gay/straight/singles/couples/families etc.). It's the most central spot you listed to to a wide range of shopping/restaurants/bars. And, yes, it's certainly the more traditional LGBT-friendly area, but I don't think this will be a problem anywhere in or around Center City. (I'm straight so I suppose I can only guess.)

Mt. Airy & Chestnut Hill are nice, but a step down from Center City in terms of urban (which may be good or bad?). Definitely more urban than Reston, though.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:06 PM

Most definitely, just always like getting general feedback on how one place compares to another. We are looking for either a condo or townhouse. Looking to have everything conveniently in walking distance, so tires of suburb living LOL.

some
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Honestly it really depends on your personal preferences. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. It depends on the surroundings you prefer and your budget.

I'm moving to West Philly just because I have a house waiting for me to move into. All other things being equal I'd choose Center City west of Broad (where I live now) or possibly Bella Vista.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 PM

Actually I know exactly what you mean.

Just trying to narrow things down a little and get some preliminary comparisons. It does sound like Center City is what we are looking for.

Are the following within the area you referenced:

Fitler Square
Market East
Old City
Rittenhouse Square
Society Hill
Spring Garden
Washington Square West

Also interested in Club City, but not sure how it compares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
I hope this doesn't sound like a cop out, but your best bet is to come see these areas (which it sounds like you've already got planned). They're all close in proximity and the differences between some of them is almost too subtle to capture in message board format. All are nice choices (with the possible exception of the South Philly ones), so it will probably come down to what just feels best to you when you see it.

That said, if you want urban and can afford something in Center City, that would be my recommendation. The places you list in (2) are good, but on the whole the Center City box -- from Race St to South St and between the rivers -- is more highly regarded.

WashWest is fantastic with a nice community vibe (inclusive of gay/straight/singles/couples/families etc.). It's the most central spot you listed to to a wide range of shopping/restaurants/bars. And, yes, it's certainly the more traditional LGBT-friendly area, but I don't think this will be a problem anywhere in or around Center City. (I'm straight so I suppose I can only guess.)

Mt. Airy & Chestnut Hill are nice, but a step down from Center City in terms of urban (which may be good or bad?). Definitely more urban than Reston, though.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:49 PM

If the "everything within walking distance" lifestyle is what you seek, then the above mentioned Center City box is where you need to be. This would include Old City, Washington Square West, Society Hill, Rittenhouse Square and Fitler Square.

Market East isn't residential and isn't currently very nice. Spring Garden is a bit on the fringe.

You can also enjoy that lifestyle in the northern blocks of Bella Vista, Graduate Hospital (or whatever they're calling it now), and perhaps even Queen Village.

I've never heard of Club City.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:46 PM

36 posts, read 47,668 times
I think a condo by Rittenhouse Square be your best choice.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:51 PM

36 posts, read 47,668 times
For hotels in center city Philly . I always use Priceline and bid on a room. I pick 3 1/2 stars , center city location and bid $60 or $65. I always get a nice hotel in center city. Sometimes you may need to increase the bid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia