Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:49 AM

13 posts, read 17,460 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 year old professional working in Center City. I have been looking for apartments that are close to work or at least to the subway to take me to work. I found a few that were in my price range... Please suggest which of them is a better bet. I'll be looking for a roommate to share the apartment with me

1. University City - 40th and Market st - 2 bedroom at $1200+utils (all appliances included with central heat)
2. Northern Liberties - 6th and Fairmount - 2 bedroom at around 700+utils (no central heat, no appliances except stove) - Is this too good to be true?
3. Near Chinatown - 10th and Spring Garden - 2 bedroom at 1200+utils (all appliances included with central heat)

The rent range is ok for me and all these areas sound like the ones that I would like to live in

I've done a fair bit of research and see that all these areas come under green zones (or bordering green and yellow zones) according to this map :
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...e74b887234a62f

My questions are:
1. How safe are each of these areas (walking around in the night)?
2. Are the rent ranges fine for these areas?
3. Is this a generally decent area for a young professional to live in?

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 02:36 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,816,182 times
I'd give the edge to 10th and SG. four blocks from the broad st line, probably a 10-15 min walk from market east regional rail station, walkable to work in cc pretty easily. pretty desolate at night but improving.

Old 08-13-2012, 04:37 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,253 times
I think all of those places are pretty much the same safety-wise.

40th & Market has the benefit of having a ton of restaurants, a big grocery store and a movie theater all within 2 or 3 blocks. If you don't mind all the Penn students it's not a bad spot.

6th & Fairmount is the least convenient location, IMO.

Old 08-13-2012, 05:11 PM

640 posts, read 1,295,209 times
10th and Spring garden actually this area is close to a lot of stuff. Catch the market east line.....close to north liberties nightlife as well. Not bad for a 28 year old.

Old 08-13-2012, 07:52 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,533,309 times
chinatown is fine

Old 08-13-2012, 10:08 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
10th and Spring Garden is not Chinatown. It is technically Callowhill. This area is still a little dumpy since it is an old Industrial District but it is improving. A new park is going to be built on the old Reading Viaduct and there are a few new buildings going up in the area as well as some old industrial buildings being converted into residential. Should be a good neighborhood in 10 years. It's an okay place now but close to the Broad Street line and close to Northern Liberties which has some of the best nightlife in the city.

6th and Fairmount will be inconvenient for work but close to good nightlife and other amenities.

40th and Market would probably be your best bet. Decent location in University City near good amenities and near decent nightlife.

Old 08-14-2012, 08:25 AM

Thanks for all your responses!
I looked at the apartment at 40th and Market Street. The building itself is great! With security cameras all over the common areas and video entry system. However, when I walked around the area this morning, it looked a formerly rough area which is improving. But overall, I'm convinced that this is a decent place to live in. I'm planning to get monthly parking and park my car in the lot nearby (Central Park). Is that recommended?

Old 08-14-2012, 08:57 AM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vparatala View Post
I looked at the apartment at 40th and Market Street. The building itself is great! With security cameras all over the common areas and video entry system. However, when I walked around the area this morning, it looked a formerly rough area which is improving. But overall, I'm convinced that this is a decent place to live in. I'm planning to get monthly parking and park my car in the lot nearby (Central Park). Is that recommended?
You're right, the area is improving. However, if you are going to live here I would suggest not journeying much to the West or North. All the places you will want to go is in University City to the East and South.

Old 08-14-2012, 09:05 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vparatala View Post
If by "walk around the area" you mean you walked north of Market St. then yes. At 40th St. going north of Chestnut St. is pretty rough looking. Going south is generally nicer if a little student ghetto-ish.

People new to Philly are always convinced that they need to bring their car with them then pay to keep it somewhere nearby - only to spend a lot of money to decide a year or two later that they really don't need it. Maybe you're making car payments and you're stuck with it but at 40th & Market you're not going to drive much. It's just not convenient.

Maybe you have family nearby and can store it at their house for much less money?

Old 08-14-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
If by "walk around the area" you mean you walked north of Market St. then yes. At 40th St. going north of Chestnut St. is pretty rough looking. Going south is generally nicer if a little student ghetto-ish.

People new to Philly are always convinced that they need to bring their car with them then pay to keep it somewhere nearby - only to spend a lot of money to decide a year or two later that they really don't need it. Maybe you're making car payments and you're stuck with it but at 40th & Market you're not going to drive much. It's just not convenient.

Maybe you have family nearby and can store it at their house for much less money?
You hit the nail on the head! I bought the car in Atlanta when I was living and working in the Suburbs and yes, I'm making payments on it. My job brought me here, so, I'm stuck with the car .
I looked for parking around the area and it's in my affordable range. I was just concerned about the safety of the car but I found a covered garage where I assume that it'll be pretty safe there. I also like driving out on weekends, so I'd want to keep it close
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia