Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 12:20 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,237,297 times

Advertisements

Which is more affordable for a renter. Passyunk Square or Graduate Hospital area?
(will likely grab a 2 or three bedroom rowhome with basement next spring/summer)

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 12:21 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Passyunk Square is more affordable. The closer you get to Center City the more expensive it will get.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:01 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Passyunk Square is more affordable. The closer you get to Center City the more expensive it will get.
Besides anything in Gradho is probably going to be new construction and that is usually more expensive.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:49 AM

240 posts, read 557,941 times
but grays ferry is just south of g-ho and it can be super cheap.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voilalaura View Post
but grays ferry is just south of g-ho and it can be super cheap.
I can't really say I like the area based on it being separated from Broad Street subway by Point Breeze. Plus it seems not to have very many amenities. Please correct me where I am wrong. Thanks.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:39 AM

240 posts, read 557,941 times
It depends on where you are in Grays Ferry and your level of comfort with the city/vs price range. Affordable housing there can range from just that: affordable to what I like to call "too affordable to possibly be in an okay place." Passyunk Square is still not a "cheap" place to live even though it is cheaper than g-ho. I was shocked at the price vs size of places I found in south philly east of broad. Maybe you will get lucky though, I did (found a cheap fixer-uper in g-ho). My budget was $900 a month and I had trouble finding a place in passyunk square or many other south philly neighborhoods (although I've been told I was looking to rent at the wrong time of year). Examples: Small one bedroom at 10th and federal: $895 per month not including any utilities. Studio at 11th and wharton: $850 a month not including any utilities.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voilalaura View Post
It depends on where you are in Grays Ferry and your level of comfort with the city/vs price range. Affordable housing there can range from just that: affordable to what I like to call "too affordable to possibly be in an okay place." Passyunk Square is still not a "cheap" place to live even though it is cheaper than g-ho. I was shocked at the price vs size of places I found in south philly east of broad. Maybe you will get lucky though, I did (found a cheap fixer-uper in g-ho). My budget was $900 a month and I had trouble finding a place in passyunk square or many other south philly neighborhoods (although I've been told I was looking to rent at the wrong time of year). Examples: Small one bedroom at 10th and federal: $895 per month not including any utilities. Studio at 11th and wharton: $850 a month not including any utilities.
Thanks for the well thought out post. May I ask the best time to move? I am thinking spring/early summer but am unsure.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:34 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,573 times
I grew up in Grays Ferry. I am sorry to say that it may be affordable but it is getting worse and worse with quality of life. It will be a long time before gentrification sets in. If you want to be a pioneer, you can get cheap in the area called "south of graduate" which goes under Washington to maybe Wharton? It is rapidly developing but still has a ways to go. In 3 years you could double the money on a fixxer upper if you choose wisely.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:02 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
I grew up in Grays Ferry. I am sorry to say that it may be affordable but it is getting worse and worse with quality of life. It will be a long time before gentrification sets in. If you want to be a pioneer, you can get cheap in the area called "south of graduate" which goes under Washington to maybe Wharton? It is rapidly developing but still has a ways to go. In 3 years you could double the money on a fixxer upper if you choose wisely.
Long time before gentrification sets in? Think again. Gentrification is already spilling over Washington Ave from G-Ho into Point Breeze, Newbold and Grays Ferry. On top of that, CHOP and UPenn have major redevelopment plans for the old Industrial area behind Toll Brothers new Naval Yard Development in Graduate Hospital along Schuylkill Ave that include three 30-40 story towers which will surely spur development in the area big time. On top of that the city has a long term comprehensive and master plan to turn the old Industrial Yards West of I-76 into a high tech business hub which they are dubbing the Schuylkill Yards. Plus the expansion of the Schuylkill River Trail. This will surely generate renewed interest in the area and will probably bring about new transit options.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:50 AM

681 posts, read 1,512,573 times
I hope you are right but Grays Ferry proper shows no signs of that. I am talking the residential areas between Moore to Washington and 25th to 33rd. They are atrocious with drug wars. 27th & Dickinson being about the worst area. They are getting more money for homes on the edge by 26th & Federal and, hopefully, that will creep south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia