Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 08:05 PM

434 posts, read 1,313,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
-Philadelphia has more colleges and more college students both within in the city and surrounding area.
America's Leading College Towns - Arts & Lifestyle - The Atlantic Cities
Actually, this article talks about the number of students in a metro area (not just the city itself) but then, strangely, it never defines that area. For example, did they include West Chester University or Swarthmore or Bryn Mawr or Lehigh? Because, though they may be colleges in the Philly metro area, it's hard to imagine they have much of a bearing on the vibe of Philadelphia itself. (On the other hand, neither MIT or Harvard are actually in Boston, but they've got big sway on the culture & economy.)

Boston is more of a college town than Philly. (I'm not sure that makes it better or worse. Just sayin'.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
The big difference is that Philadelphia has a lower cost of living so you can live better for less. That is pretty much the secret of Philadelphia's success. This applies to the city itself although not the suburbs.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:38 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
boston is easy, i'm not white

Old 10-23-2012, 06:52 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Regarding Boston and Philadelphia.

One thing I've noticed reading the Boston threads, is there is this occassional reference to local Bostonites who are rude, not friendly on the surface, etc. But, it seems like Philadelphia gets the same references.

Additionally, both have their own accents. I've never found the Boston accent particularly interesting. Do others find it enduring? What do Philadelphians think of the Boston accent, or even their own Philadelphia accent?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
Boston vs Philly, off the top of my head...

Boston is cleaner and safer, and it's harder to accidentally wander into the badlands in Boston. Boston has a better subway system. Boston doesn't suffer or have an inferiority complex from comparisons of nearby large cities (NY, DC, Baltimore, etc) since there aren't any. The Boston Public Garden is larger & nicer than Rittenhouse Square. The Charles River is a better place to hang out than the Schuylkill or Delaware River. Boston sports teams and their fans are better and less obnoxious than Philly's (really). Cape Cod beaches are a lot nicer than New Jersey beaches (really). Shopping along Newbury St is better than along Walnut Street. Faneuil Hall is better than Reading Terminal Market, though annoyingly more touristy. There is no city income tax in Boston. Perhaps because of the huge number of colleges, Boston seems more transient than Philly, and doesn't view "outsiders" with as much skepticism. The Boston dialect doesn't add the word "at" unnecessarily to the end of sentences. The summer weather in Boston is better than in Philly.

Philly has a better regional rail system. Philly is far more diverse, both racially & economically. Philly isn't always trying to be "intellectual." Growing up in Philly puts you in a club that is impossible to enter otherwise. Center City has better restaurants than Boston proper. Philly has bars suitable for various age groups, whereas Boston caters to "young/college" and then "after work" with little else. The Please Touch Museum is better than the Boston Children's Museum. Philly's historic sites are centralized (Independence Mall area) for easy viewing, and Boston's Freedom Trail takes a more effort. You can get more direct flights from PHL than BOS, but there is less chance you'll be on time. Philadelphia has Wawa and Swiss Farms, nothing like either in Boston. Philly is easier to navigate in a car if you don't know exactly where you're going. Philadelphians pronounce Rs in words. The winter weather in Philly is better than Boston.
Mostly fair (even if a little bit of the Boston roots show through) with regards to the comparison but to me one glaring exception. Faneuil may be cleaner but the Market aspect of RTM to me is far superior. This one was the only one I personally could not rationalize when trying as best I can to be objective

On the adding "at", think Philly is king for adding prepositions where they are not needed (at)

Where are you (at)?
That is where I am (at)

etc. and I even catch myself doing it (at)

Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Regarding Boston and Philadelphia.

One thing I've noticed reading the Boston threads, is there is this occassional reference to local Bostonites who are rude, not friendly on the surface, etc. But, it seems like Philadelphia gets the same references.

Additionally, both have their own accents. I've never found the Boston accent particularly interesting. Do others find it enduring? What do Philadelphians think of the Boston accent, or even their own Philadelphia accent?

Accents are odd in that you become accustomed to them. The thing that surprises me is that many people from outside this region think the Philly accent sounds like or can be misstaken for NYC - I just dont personally see that - to me they are as different as Boston is in this sense

Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
I have to disagree that Boston's subway system is better. It's exactly the same as the one in Philly. The only real differences are that they connect differently and that the green line in Boston has much higher ridership than our green line (which is mostly to do with the fact that our green line uses lower capacity streetcars, doesn't have exclusive right of way for most of the route, and serves lower income areas).

Seriously though, if you swap colors, red line for blue line the lines serve the same functions, go to comparable areas of the city and have similar ridership.

It's really a shame for Boston, with all of the money spent on the Big Dig, that the one component to get axed was the rail tunnel that would've connected North and South Stations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
Because, though they may be colleges in the Philly metro area, it's hard to imagine they have much of a bearing on the vibe of Philadelphia itself. (On the other hand, neither MIT or Harvard are actually in Boston, but they've got big sway on the culture & economy.)

Boston is more of a college town than Philly. (I'm not sure that makes it better or worse. Just sayin'.)
It's kind of hard to compare the two places in that regard. If you took Philadelphia and broke it up into 5 or 6 different cities with the Center City/University City core as "Boston" I think the comparisons would be a lot easier.

Still, Temple, Penn, Jefferson, etc. have a huge influence on the city. Penn is Philly's largest employer.

Being in South Philly I don't feel the influence of Penn as much and I get the same feeling when I'm in Boston proper (as opposed to hanging out in Cambridge).

Old 10-23-2012, 02:08 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Accents are odd in that you become accustomed to them. The thing that surprises me is that many people from outside this region think the Philly accent sounds like or can be misstaken for NYC - I just dont personally see that - to me they are as different as Boston is in this sense
It's because of Rocky.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:05 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Boston = Philadelphia if it were scrubbed top to bottom and had curvier streets.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:17 AM

725 posts, read 1,211,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
Boston = Philadelphia if it were scrubbed top to bottom and had curvier streets.
And a little more history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia