Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 02:06 PM

9,373 posts, read 13,040,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Come back into fashion?

There's fashion and then there's practicality.
It all boils down to renewable energy and if/when it can be used to run quality, affordable automobiles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 02:14 PM

2,943 posts, read 4,138,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
It all boils down to renewable energy and if/when it can be used to run quality, affordable automobiles.
Agreed.

The general and growing consensus over the last 15 years is that over the next 20 years we won't be able to produce enough energy to be able to afford to run cars (even an all electric fleet) at present rates of use.

It's one of those situations that the market has been handling pretty well. Almost as soon as gas topped $2 VMT started dropping. As the price continues to climb the fleet becomes more fuel efficient but the technological advances won't be able to keep up with price for long enough.

Not trying to say that cars are going to disappear but I think 20 years from now is going to look a lot more like the 1950s in terms of the number of cars per household. They're just going to be more expensive to buy and more expensive to operate.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:15 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,883,773 times
Quote:
Here in the stone age we call those taxis.
Think for a second. I'm talking about the people who currently take commuter rail into the city.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:15 PM

9,373 posts, read 13,040,819 times
Quote:
Not trying to say that cars are going to disappear but I think 20 years from now is going to look a lot more like the 1950s in terms of the number of cars per household. They're just going to be more expensive to buy and more expensive to operate.
I think that's a fair prediction.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:19 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,996,209 times
Maybe 95 should be moved and buried in the inner lanes of the Blvd - then extened as an elevated highway down broad with a cloverleaf partially below ground at 676 then down Broad open with one ground level lane remaining on broad for local traffic and off ramps to all the stadium lots before re joining the current 95 and extending south

Old 10-23-2012, 04:17 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,121,507 times
I'd rather keep the highway. There aren't enough adequate roads around here as it is.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:46 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,448,484 times
[quote=Nexis4Jersey;26633117]Alot of Cities are capping , Removing or burying there highways...

Under Construction , Proposed or Planned

[color="Indigo"]Freeway Capping without Transit

I-290 - Chicago
I-90 & 94 in Downtown Chicago
I-90 & 94 in South Chicago

There are no serious plans in place for capping these roads in and around Chicago. Right now it's all a bunch of talk being driven by the residents of the affected cities hoping to get some new land create by the caps.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,886,950 times
[quote=JacksonPanther;26641885]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Alot of Cities are capping , Removing or burying there highways...

Under Construction , Proposed or Planned

[color="Indigo"]Freeway Capping without Transit

I-290 - Chicago
I-90 & 94 in Downtown Chicago
I-90 & 94 in South Chicago

There are no serious plans in place for capping these roads in and around Chicago. Right now it's all a bunch of talk being driven by the residents of the affected cities hoping to get some new land create by the caps.
I said proposed didn't I?

Old 10-24-2012, 11:59 AM

283 posts, read 608,122 times
Quote:
Where should it have gone when it was being planned for back in the 50s? How about Route 1? Most of the houses along its route in Bucks & Philadelphia County hadn't even been built yet. It would've been far less destructive.

Just because you tear down a 1 or 2 mile stretch of I-95 that not many people are using as a thoroughfare anyway doesn't mean the rest of the road disappears or becomes useless.

Almost all of the port activity is south of Snyder Ave. and that was true back when 95 was being built. Most freight should be leaving the port by rail anyway but the local trucks would still have the same access to I-95 and 76.

Replacing I-95 in Center City with a different style of roadway capable of handling the capacity that exists there wouldn't kill interstate commerce. The bridges aren't going anywhere.

PA isn't building the I-95 connector - the FHWA is - and it's so Philadelphians can get to NYC (and vice versa) with out having to traverse 3 different local roads to get to the NJ Turnpike.
It was actually planned back in the '30's as the Delaware River Expressway. The river usage back then was commercial (hence the thought that the design wouldn't be that much of an impact to the waterfront) and the space near Society Hill used to be a train line, then later a bus line. Small parts of then-delapidated Washington Square East were lost to 95. Your proposed alternative route along Route 1 wouldn't buy anything but aesthetic. The route selected is most efficient for the area. Also interesting is that the sunken part near Society Hill was sunken to allow it to be capped later. It sounds like this could be resolved around Center City at a future date if the funding was available. Check out phillyroads - there is a lot of history on there and wikipedia - an interesting read.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:51 PM

19 posts, read 12,376 times
Dems destroyed the cities when they pushed for public housing. People who live in public housing destroy neighborhoods and schools with crime. The Gimmycrats then force the middle class to move to the burbs where they need cars.

Back in the day when Rs were running the city we were building the parkway, bridges, tunnels, subways and regional rails. Today the Dems build public housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia