Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2018, 06:43 PM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Bala never had a small town, walkable vibe like Ardmore or Media, so you think people would applaud development, but it all comes down to cranky neighbors who do not like change.
No, but it did have a neighborhood business strip along Bala Avenue. It even had a theater, and there are fitful efforts to reopen it.

But thanks for reminding me that I should pay a visit to the NoBa project sometime soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2018, 07:00 PM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
No, but it did have a neighborhood business strip along Bala Avenue. It even had a theater, and there are fitful efforts to reopen it.

But thanks for reminding me that I should pay a visit to the NoBa project sometime soon.
They are in the process of renovating that strip right now but I didn’t see a movie theater.

Old 08-16-2018, 06:59 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
So I’ve been driving around Bala Cynwyd / City Ave lately because my care dealership is up here and I needed to get recalls on my car resolved. Wondering who goes to Saks and Lord and Taylor? The area doesn’t seem large enough to support two huge stores like these and I noticed the parking lots are pretty empty. I may go to L&T when the car is done though. St. Joseph’s has a nice campus .

Once upon a time, back in the 70s, there was a developer(southbound may remember this person's name) who speculated that that area would be the perfect spot to put very high end shopping. This was years before KoP was anything but a strip mall/shopping center. It made sense, in a certain respect, for many of the same reasons that KoP became what it is now: next to the Main Line( including one of the most affluent towns in the entire Phila. region(Gladwyne)) and the convergence of major traffic arteries(City Ave/Belmont Ave and the Schuylkill Exp). End result though: Saks was built and nothing else was.

L&Ts predates everything said above( as does Bala shopping center) and has been there for 50+ years.

I didn't know you had a car, btw. Since you do if you go out there again drive west on Belmont Ave and take any side street. Or any side street off of Montgomery Ave, westbound. It will give you an idea of why those stores have been there and continue to be there.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I am actually surprised that Lord & Taylor hasn't closed yet. That is the only Saks in the area and there are a lot of wealthy people who lived not too far from it, which is why it is still around.

Other posters can chime in, but I think Bala had a plan or becoming a more dense shopping districts decades ago, and that never really materialized.

I am glad those stores still there though, spreads the retail a bit rather than have it solely at KoP. But those stores could use some sprucing up.
Correct. There were plans to beef out the shopping in that area. Basically an extension of Bala shopping center, northward, along City Ave/City Line toward NBC10(which was originally a CBS affiliate). Too bad it didn't happen.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I’m in LT right now and it’s surprisingly busy. At least in the shoe dept 😀. There’s a lot of construction on Bala Ave. Guy at the dealership said they’re renovating that whole street so maybe there’s more to follow.
Oh, that's very good news!

Old 08-16-2018, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
No sales tax on clothes.
Plus being just past the city border, with MontCo, Hannah would only pay 6%. on other stuff.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:23 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,546,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Once upon a time, back in the 70s, there was a developer(southbound may remember this person's name) who speculated that that area would be the perfect spot to put very high end shopping. This was years before KoP was anything but a strip mall/shopping center. It made sense, in a certain respect, for many of the same reasons that KoP became what it is now: next to the Main Line( including one of the most affluent towns in the entire Phila. region(Gladwyne)) and the convergence of major traffic arteries(City Ave/Belmont Ave and the Schuylkill Exp). End result though: Saks was built and nothing else was.

L&Ts predates everything said above( as does Bala shopping center) and has been there for 50+ years.

I didn't know you had a car, btw. Since you do if you go out there again drive west on Belmont Ave and take any side street. Or any side street off of Montgomery Ave, westbound. It will give you an idea of why those stores have been there and continue to be there.
I had the car shipped earlier this summer. Too many weekends when I waited till the last minute and rentals weren't available, buses were full and trains prohibitively expensive. I have done that drive btw. Homes are awesome .

Old 08-16-2018, 07:51 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Correct. There were plans to beef out the shopping in that area. Basically an extension of Bala shopping center, northward, along City Ave/City Line toward NBC10(which was originally a CBS affiliate). Too bad it didn't happen.
The land next to WCAU originally belonged to the station, when the station belonged to the Bulletin. I worked with men who moved with the station from the original site in Center City. That land is where they did Action in the Afternoon.

Old 08-16-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The land next to WCAU originally belonged to the station, when the station belonged to the Bulletin. I worked with men who moved with the station from the original site in Center City. That land is where they did Action in the Afternoon.
Lol.... You and I are the only ones here who remember Action in the Afternoon!

Old 08-16-2018, 08:35 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Lol.... You and I are the only ones here who remember Action in the Afternoon!
I know. I worked with guys who were near retirement who had worked on it as techs when they were young men. They did it live, long before satellites. It went out to the country via phone lines. I imagine young people will be surprised that a western was done across the street from Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia