Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2024, 05:03 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I think smaller niche brands won't / don't do well in Center City for a variety of reasons, and lack of a customer base may be one. A brand like Outdoor Voices probably does well in Austin (their HQ) or New York because there are so many people. I also think the brand is not doing great, they closed their LA store too.

Whether rent or space allows, main stream retailers (home and clothing) are what works in Center City. I could even see a luxury store like Gucci doing well on Walnut because its a favorite splurge brand for many people, but good luck getting them to consider Center City.

The disorganized / lazy "Ritt Row" marketing approach also doesn't help Walnut/Chestnut, which plays into your first sentence and my comment above.
Gucci had a boutigue in the Bellevue for about 15 years or so; Williams-Sonoma replaced it.

The entire Bellevue shopping center is getting a total makeover, so we will see what happens when it's done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 05:06 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
There is PLENTY of foot traffic out there right now.

I think cpomp has it right about marketing. Ritt Row (and Philly, in general) does a terrible job selling this town as a destination.

It literally is a destination. People come here to see Philly. They need to start putting it out there better.
Actually, Visit Philadelphia (the region's tourism promotion organization, funded by a tax on hotel rooms) has been doing a pretty good job of getting more people to visit here. Getting them to do so from overseas has been the tougher nut to crack.

(Full disclosure: I count the former chief of staff to Visit Philadelphia's executive director as one of my closest friends. For some strange reason, this guy thinks the world of me.)

Old 02-06-2024, 04:57 AM

386 posts, read 265,768 times
I heard Outdoor Voices is closing in Nashville too and is considering closing other stores. It may be more of a national thing than Philly specific.

Old 02-07-2024, 12:26 PM

1,027 posts, read 445,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
I could be wrong but I thought it was always supposed to be seasonal and will be back when it gets warmer again.
Well, if the George Floyd Beer Garden was open until early January and closed, yet again, for more zoning violations (that actually existed from day 1) not seeing the seasonal business here.

Old 02-07-2024, 12:32 PM

1,027 posts, read 445,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It beats a parking lot or rubble.

I suspect Teddy Sourias will address the violations (I think he runs this beer garden).

The fate of the lot probably depends on the outcome of a bunch of insurance claims and lawsuits. 1708 and 1710 are owned by the same LLC, which acquired them in nominal transactions at the end of 2020, while 1706 is owned by a different LLC that paid $4.5m for it after the building got torched, in December of 2022.

Recall that it took something like three years for the dust to settle after One Meridian (nee Three Girard Plaza) burned. The three-year mark for these lots comes up this summer.
Rather have parking than the current eyesore condition this place is currently in. The violations recently posted existed the entire time so not sure what's up with the city on this.

The four-year mark for the arson over a scam is this summer; so we went from burned out historical structures for a year to 3 years of empty lot with some kinda hazardous-to-shady beer garden. At least it's consistent.

Old 02-14-2024, 01:19 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
A big deal for Walnut Street.

Nike bringing its new Jordan-branded World of Flight store to Philadelphia
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ladelphia.html

Nike Inc. is bringing a new store focused exclusively on its Michael Jordan-branded sneakers and apparel to Philadelphia, documents filed with the city show.

The retailer plans to open a Jordan World of Flight store in the 7,000-square-foot building at 1617 Walnut St. in Rittenhouse Square, according to documents submitted to the Philadelphia Historical Commission. Nike debuted the retail concept in Milan, Italy, in December 2022, dubbing Jordan World of Flight stores "the future of Jordan retail: a destination to celebrate the legacy and future of basketball culture."

The second Jordan World of Flight opened in Tokyo last March.
No U.S. locations for Jordan World of Flight stores have been publicly announced, making the planned Philadelphia shop one of — if not — the first store in the country.

Old 02-14-2024, 02:09 PM

386 posts, read 265,768 times
Quote:
A big deal for Walnut Street.

Nike bringing its new Jordan-branded World of Flight store to Philadelphia
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ladelphia.html

Nike Inc. is bringing a new store focused exclusively on its Michael Jordan-branded sneakers and apparel to Philadelphia, documents filed with the city show.

The retailer plans to open a Jordan World of Flight store in the 7,000-square-foot building at 1617 Walnut St. in Rittenhouse Square, according to documents submitted to the Philadelphia Historical Commission. Nike debuted the retail concept in Milan, Italy, in December 2022, dubbing Jordan World of Flight stores "the future of Jordan retail: a destination to celebrate the legacy and future of basketball culture."

The second Jordan World of Flight opened in Tokyo last March.
No U.S. locations for Jordan World of Flight stores have been publicly announced, making the planned Philadelphia shop one of — if not — the first store in the country.
Now this seems like a destination store that will bring people to shop from outside the city. This along with the confirmation from Philly Chit Chat about Aritzia still coming gives me some optimism about the long term future of Walnut Street.

Old 03-01-2024, 07:41 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Not clothes, but another Walnut Street vacancy filled!

Levain Bakery from New York plans first Philadelphia store in Center City
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...e-cookies.html

Levain Bakery plans to open its first location in the region at 1516-1518 Walnut St. in Rittenhouse Square. The ground-floor space has been long-vacant and was most recently home to custom suit, shirt and tuxedo maker My.Suit.

Old 03-05-2024, 05:36 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Not clothes, but another Walnut Street vacancy filled!

Levain Bakery from New York plans first Philadelphia store in Center City
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...e-cookies.html

Levain Bakery plans to open its first location in the region at 1516-1518 Walnut St. in Rittenhouse Square. The ground-floor space has been long-vacant and was most recently home to custom suit, shirt and tuxedo maker My.Suit.
Ah, the old Circa space!

Old 03-06-2024, 10:07 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
I think GoPuff use to sell the boxes of the Levian re-heat bakery stuff, always enjoyed them. Look forward to the new store.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia