Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 PM

24 posts, read 33,932 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

It's looking like my husband and I will be relocating to the Philadelphia area from DC within the next couple months. He will be working at CHOP, my location is TBD - I'm a speech therapist so I'm hoping I won't have too hard of a time finding something in the area. Anyway, we have family in Southampton and Huntingdon Valley but we would like to find something a little closer to the city with more going on (we're both 25). We're currently living in Arlington, VA right outside of DC and there is tons of stuff to do (bars, restaurants, shopping, etc). That being said, we would like to be in an area with young professionals/young families, not just party goers. We were looking at Fishtown and the Art Museum area. Someone else mentioned Manayunk. We also have a dog (a boxer) so some space for her would be really nice! We are currently living in a high rise and we'd really like more of a duplex or rowhome type with some character. We'd like to stay under $1400 but if it was for the right place we'd be willing to pay a little more. How is the parking situation in the downtown areas? Have any of you recently relocated to the area? How is it? All suggestions and information is more than appreciated! Thank you Philly forum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 04:46 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
Fishtown, NoLibs and Manayunk would be your best bets. You're not going to find much in the way of personal space in NoLibs of Fishtown, but plenty of public parks. Owning a car in those areas can be expensive and frustrating as well.

Parking in Center City can be a chore, but if you're willing to pay to park in a garage, it's not too bad.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:25 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
You could consider a rowhome in some parts of South Philly although I'm not certain about whether your budget would meet that. You'll probably spend a lot of time around the Passyunk (PASS-e-yunk) Avenue corridor; it's not quite as "Orange Line Arlington" as Northern Liberties and Manayunk - you'll be sharing space with long-term residents and increasingly diverse mix of Hispanic and Asian families - but there are also interesting restaurants and shops as well. Look east of Broad Street at neighborhoods like Queen Village, Bella Vista, Pennsport and the aforemention Passyunk Ave. area. It would be a reasonable commute to CHOP although you may have to purchase a resident parking permit for the limited on-street parking.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:33 PM

932 posts, read 1,944,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
Passyunk (PASS-e-yunk) Avenue
You should keep your pronunciations to the accents thread

Also, I agree, PASS-e-yunk.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:44 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
You should keep your pronunciations to the accents thread

Also, I agree, PASS-e-yunk.
LOL Just trying to help out. We wouldn't want the unsuspecting couple to say "Pass-yunk" to a local, would we?

Old 12-09-2012, 06:05 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Also the Graduate Hospital area is a quick walk to CHOP and a quick walk to Rittenhouse

Really any nabe in the general Center City area (this is a decent link with some description of the areas) or even U City itself
Center City District: Neighborhoods - Neighborhood Profiles

Just be conscious of Philly, nabes change here more quickly than present day DC so make the time to ensure the area is ok. And OK is relative depending upon your own desire and to me a bit of city quotient.

Also IMHO unless you want a college age feel Manyunk may not be the best choice, but I may be in the minority, to me it is also far more isolated with less effecient PT options and fewer going out (walkable) options more limited to the nabe itself whereas Center City has each nabe right on top of one another.

Best of luck in your search

Old 12-09-2012, 06:13 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
LOL Just trying to help out. We wouldn't want the unsuspecting couple to say "Pass-yunk" to a local, would we?
What happened to Pash-unk?

To the OP, forget Manayunk. It's all hype and you will be disappointed although I suppose you will need to take a quick look at the residential streets off Main. This website gives you a brief description of each of the neighborhoods and may be helpful. www.4wallsinphilly.com
except they hype Manayunk as well. I guess you will have to see for yourselves.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:35 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,860,524 times
I'm guessing you might live near Pentagon City/Crystal City. Fairmount/Grad Hospital/Rittenhouse may be good areas for you. Easy access to everything (shopping, museums, restaurants, bars, etc) and very accessible to SEPTA. Those areas also have decent parks for your dog to roam around

Old 12-10-2012, 01:48 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
I would suggest Fitler Square, Fairmount (Art Museum Area) and Graduate Hospital. These neighborhoods will all be right across the river from where your husband will be working and he will be able to walk to work on nice days.

Manayunk could certainly work... it has FANTASTIC night life along Main Street, and your husband could take the train into work (roughly 20 or so minutes).

Also, try looking at the neighborhoods that surround University City (area of West Philadelphia where CHOP is located). There are plenty of gorgeous neighborhoods, look at Spruce Hill and the Clark Park area in general.

Remember, the Google Maps images tend to be a couple years old, and like D.C., Philadelphia has been RAPIDLY gentrifying and changing over the past few years, so neighborhoods will likely be completely different than what you see on Google Maps, but at least you can get a good idea of what the areas will look like.

Graduate Hospital (also called G-Ho, South of South or So-So or Southwest Center City)
philadelphia - Google Maps

Fairmount (also called the Art Museum Area or District)

Fitler Square

Manayunk

Spruce Hill

Clark Park

If you live in the Spruce Hill/ Clark Park area, your husband could again walk to work or take the Trolley on cold/rainy days.

Two more neighborhoods to add to the list just to give you more options would be Rittenhouse Square and Washington Square West. Rittenhouse is one of Philadelphia's wealthiest neighborhoods, but you can still find some cheaper great places there. In both of these neighborhoods, your husband could take the train, subway or trolley to work (in Center City, the trolley's run underground).

Rittenhouse (highrise district)

Rittenhouse (lowrise district)

Wash West (highrise district)

Wash West (lowrise district)

Take a look around google maps of the areas I showed you (even though some areas have drastically changed for the better). Pick your top spots and come visit Philadelphia and check them out. There is top nightlife, parks, amenities and attractions all over the city, and none of that will be an issue with any of the neighborhoods I suggested. When you pick some places let us know, and we will let you know if it is in a great area or not. Best of luck

Old 12-28-2012, 04:59 AM

13 posts, read 33,413 times
We moved from Bethesda to Mt Airy a year ago (beautiful but wayyy too quiet with limited access to anything) and just recently bought a rowhouse in Manayunk. Love that we have our own cute, walkable neighborhood with decent dining options and an awesome trail, but are only a 20 min train ride (or drive) into center city. Our neighborhood is a good mix of students, long time yunkers, and other young professionals (20s - 30s). Good luck with the move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia