Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:42 PM

3 posts, read 18,612 times

Advertisements

I've read over other threads but would love some input from someone who knows the area on the specifics I'm looking for!

My mom (newly divorced and in her 50s) is moving to Philadelphia. She wants to buy a 3 BR rowhouse (or maybe a condo) for under $300K. Schools, etc. not important anymore, but she'd love somewhere with trees, a nice downtown, and a little "character" if that makes sense? GENERAL safety, rather than "just be on guard" safety is important because she's lived her entire life in the middle of nowhere so I'm not sure she'd know what that means Proximity to Center City is also nice.

I really appreciate any help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,697,111 times
Trulia is the best website.

I included all areas I think would best fit your mother, given the requirements listed. Most of the places I included are in or border Center City. I also included some areas of the Northwest Section of the city because they are gorgeous and tree-lined neighborhoods.

http://www.trulia.com/for_sale/5766,...0_price/x_map/

Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
You still aren't too specific about what she wants. Does she want to live in Center City and if so is a highrise ok? If not Center City then the best parts of Philly with the nicest people are in the far Northeast like 19154 and 19114. Does she have a lot of cash to invest in real estate? What is her income? Is she keeping a car? Will she need to look for work? Why is she choosing Philadelphia? What is her ethnic group?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:35 AM

283 posts, read 607,289 times
Philadelphia proper is doable, but rowhouses are going to be tough to come by at 300K. She will be limited mostly to condos in Old City and maybe smaller units in Center City proper. She may want to check out the Lumberyard condos in Collingswood, NJ or houses in Collingswood, NJ. Collingswood gets you much more house for your money and you have 15 minute 24/7 PATCO access to Center City. Downtown Collingswood has tons of restaurants and boutique shopping. It also has plenty of parking and affordable car insurance rates so you can easily keep a car for shopping, weekend getaways, or whatever.

Alternatively, in the city proper, she may be able to find something smaller just outside of the core in Graduate Hospital or expand her search south into some of the "up and coming" neighborhoods in South Philly. East Passyunk Square or maybe even a more quiet neighborhood like Marconi Park may do. The center of the city is very expensive. Small condos can be found in the 300 range, but they are very small, old, and may not be how your mom is used to living. My best advice is to visit in person.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:40 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,878,330 times
I agree with Tom. Much more house for the $$ in Collingswood and safer then in the city too. Id rather see my Mom there..

Old 01-29-2013, 10:58 AM

187 posts, read 350,345 times
Collingswood visitors bureau in full force today, I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_567 View Post
Philadelphia proper is doable, but rowhouses are going to be tough to come by at 300K.
I don't believe this statement is right. Maybe in Center City and some of the nearby neighborhoods like Queen Village and Graduate Hospital, but there are many nice areas in the city where you can buy 3 BR rowhomes for well under 300K.

Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,126,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scosm View Post
there are many nice areas in the city where you can buy 3 BR rowhomes for well under 300K.
Exactly - this would include most of Mt. Airy.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:10 PM

244 posts, read 747,583 times
You could find a few properties in Chestnut Hill. Nice walkable area not far from Center City Philadelphia.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 AM

3 posts, read 18,612 times
Thanks everyone! She is nervous about Center City, though I think she'd grow to love it. I'm driving her around there this weekend so she can see it, but I think she's better suited to a smaller place with access to Philly proper. She's choosing Philly somewhat at random but also because I'm likely relocating there for a job within the next year (I personally will be in Center City). She's wants to be in a diverse place (and I don't just mean racial diversity)-- she's somewhat of a hippie and looking for someplace fun after yeeeaaaarss of living in the middle of nowhere in the south. She's keeping a car but as long as there's street parking it's okay. No, she will not be looking for a job.

I will look into what was mentioned above but after a little research I'm also wondering about Wayne, Narberth, Gladwyne, Ardmore, or Bryn Mawr?

Old 01-30-2013, 09:09 AM

283 posts, read 607,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scosm View Post
Collingswood visitors bureau in full force today, I see

I don't believe this statement is right. Maybe in Center City and some of the nearby neighborhoods like Queen Village and Graduate Hospital, but there are many nice areas in the city where you can buy 3 BR rowhomes for well under 300K.
You are correct. I misspoke - I meant the core. Rowhouses in the core are tough to come by at 300K. There are tons of neighborhoods outside of the core that you can get into for under 300K, many of which you mentioned and are safe; however, they are more distant from the core (e.g. Manayunk/Roxoborough, Greater NorthEast, etc.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia