Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 04:49 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times

Advertisements

And get Steves cheese fries too. They are perfect good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
And get Steves cheese fries too. They are perfect good

Their fries didn't look too appealing

Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Then close your eyes and eat em..

Old 06-08-2013, 06:57 AM

5 posts, read 5,756 times
We get our steaks from Burbage's in goose creek. But believe it or not, we also found some really awesome meats at Costco. My boyfriend was very impressed as well...

Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 AM

5 posts, read 5,756 times
burbages goose creek - Google Search

Old 06-08-2013, 08:14 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times
Maybe Steves and Pats are similar because they have the same percentage of horse meat in them?

Old 06-08-2013, 10:08 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Maybe Steves and Pats are similar because they have the same percentage of horse meat in them?

Well I enjoy both places

Old 06-08-2013, 11:55 AM

512 posts, read 1,018,462 times
Horse Meat?!!!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:08 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,765,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
...but seriously, folks, enough about the employees...

Old 06-09-2013, 05:22 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
I was speaking from personal experience... where I grew up in Bucks County, that's the way it is. We visited the city from time to time, but not regularly. It wasn't until I attended Temple when my friends, family and other contacts started visiting the city more often. Still to this day I meet people regularly who have never really been down here and don't know what they're talking about or even their way around! When my parents come down for a night to get dinner, my mom always talks about it at work and she always tells me peoples responses... "what's it like down there?" "what is there to do?" "is it safe?"

Mind you, my parents only live 30-35 minutes from Center City. It shows you how segregated and cut off some of this area is.
The extreme insularity and exaggerated fear so many Philadelphians exhibit towards their own hometown (writ large here to encompass the entire region, though I'd heard the same thing about Northeast residents who apparently have heard that visas are required for travel to Center City*) astounds this non-native who lives in a neighborhood rougher than many of those now being gentrified.

*And vice versa. I know plenty of Gayborhooders who seem to regard travel north of Spring Garden Street as a hazardous trek requiring Sherpa guides. Travel west of the Schuylkill isn't hazardous, but they still pack their passports.

Wherever I've lived (and the cities where I've lived number three), I have taken the attitude that the whole of the city is my oyster. I may not get to some parts frequently, but I never rule out venturing into unfamiliar territory. There have been only two exceptions to this rule: South Boston and Fishtown before the hipsters invaded. Anyone who knows the socioeconomic and ethnic makeup of those two neighborhoods and their racial history may be able to figure out why.

Quote:
Steves uses a better quality meat with less gristle(fat) then Pats
I was waiting for someone to point this out.

I accompanied Chris Cognac, the Food Network's "Hungry Detective" (in addition to a foodie, he is an actual detective with the LAPD), local greasy-spoon connoisseur Holly Moore and local mixologist nonpareil Katie Loeb on Chris' inspection stop at Steve's original location on Bustleton just below Cottman in the Northeast several years back. While the steaks may look alike at Pat's and Steve's, the similarity ends there - Steve's are of much higher quality while Pat's is resting on its laurels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
My call is it's gonna gentrify in the next 20 years. That part of UD/Millbourne has an eclectic mix of cultures. That plus the low rent will draw bohemians in someday. It's already happening to Lansdowne.
IIRC, most of Millbourne's residents are (South Asian) Indian now. Like Castor Avenue, 69th Street has become a little United Nations - a development I applaud. But both areas definitely look downscale, which probably frightens some folks.

I think just about everyone who has laid eyes on Lansdowne Avenue recognizes Lansdowne Borough's incredible potential the moment they see it. What puzzles all of us is why it remains largely unrealized still. I think the schools have something to do with it - the borough shares with neighbors Yeadon and Darby the worst-performing school district in Delco.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
I just meant for my personal enjoyment, they should make it more friendly for pedestrians. Trying to cross the street when I'm halfway between the terminal and H-Mart on Market is not a lovely experience I enjoy. There are a lot of great things out that way in Upper Darby though, and I wish people would get out and see it. 69th street itself definitely has a lot of potential, and I've heard that it used to be a pretty nice place, so no reason they can't do it again.
See above. Making that little stretch of West Chester Pike more pedestrian-friendly would be nice, but I think it would also be tricky.

Quote:
Steves has a store near Oxford mall. The one in RTM is Ricks
Rick's Philly Steaks (which did business as "Oliveri Prince of Steaks" until Steve got word Rick was using his trademarked phrase) got booted from the RTM three years back. Rick's fight to reverse the RTM's decision not to renew his lease nearly split the Market's merchants in two.

If you want a cheesesteak in the RTM today, you have three options: Carmen's, By George and Spataro's (the last an RTM fixture since 1947). While both Carmen and By George serve very good steaks (I've yet to try Spataro's), I'd recommend you skip all three, however, in favor of one of the following:

--a roast pork Italian from DiNic's
--the "Train Wreck" at Beck's Cajun Cafe, which is a cheesesteak with a Lousiana twist - the meat mix includes andouille sausage and it's highly seasoned
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia