Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 01:00 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times

Advertisements

I loved the article. Its nice to see positive news.

As an art major its very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 01:22 PM

287 posts, read 341,090 times
I think New York is jealous that people are finally realizing that Philly has better museums.

Old 04-29-2013, 10:51 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
To me it sounds like the article is saying in a indirect way............"Art is the only reason to go to philly"

Old 04-30-2013, 08:32 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Long Island is super NYC centric - kind of makes sense with the ocean/sound on Three sides, and NYC on the 4th. But there's also all the people who consider themselves "New Yorkers" who just moved from Oklahoma last month, and have no clue about the east coast in general. I think this is a big part of it.

Also, I went to undergrad at a college just outside of Philly, but not many of the kids there were from the Philly area, as they were from all over the country.
Not only did those kids as a group know relatively nothing about Philly, but they would take trips in to NYC about as often as they did to Philly (which was like 20 mins away!). I remember a girl from North Dakota who was excited about going to school there, because it was "so close" to NYC.
So...there's that.

Haha that's pretty funny, especially considering that many Philadelphians themselves take no advantage of being so close to NYC.

I think I more than made up for Philly's relative anonymity by bringing a huge group of friends (like 10 New Yorkers haha) for a weekend in Philly. Everyone was pretty much blown away and some of my friends have actually moved to the region for jobs after graduation.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:34 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGeo08 View Post
I think New York is jealous that people are finally realizing that Philly has better museums.

There is absolutely nothing New York needs to be jealous of Philly about. NOTHING

Old 04-30-2013, 08:41 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,938,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
There is absolutely nothing New York needs to be jealous of Philly about. NOTHING
The beer and food scene here, affordability, more spacious housing, breathing room, more green space, relatively small manageable core that has anything you could want in a city, local culture/food and food markets, future growth and potential, more organic and less pretentious art and music scene, relative ease of getting around in and owning a car, location, people are more entrepreneural and less corporate, less taxes, healthier middle class.... just off the top of my head.

But no city needs to be jealous of any other city.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 04-30-2013 at 09:14 AM..

Old 04-30-2013, 09:48 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Haha that's pretty funny, especially considering that many Philadelphians themselves take no advantage of being so close to NYC.
For real. It is true that Philly is a pretty self-centric place itself (despite the insults we love to hurl at New York for being the same way). I guess it's natural. I didn't visit NYC much at all growing up (until I was older), and I remember it seemed SO far away in my mind compared to how close I think the two cities are today.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Negadelphian alert!

Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 AM

48 posts, read 66,113 times
NYC vs. Philly arguments are the worst. NYC is one of the largest cities in the world, that already means comparing Philly and NYC is apples and oranges. NYC has more of everything, and I mean everything...people, restaurants, museums, nightlife, parks, etc.

Having said that, so what? Philly has amazing restaurants, green space, bars, museums, nightlife, etc. Philly can offer you many of the things that NYC, albeit on a much smaller scale. This is what I love about Philly, it's so manageable and walkable and still offers exciting, urban living.

If I want to experience NYC, it's a quick trip north and I can easily make a weekend out of it. At the end of the day, NYC is too expensive and overbearing for me to live there, and I actually prefer to live in Philly for the above stated reasons. I do love making trips up to NYC though!

Old 04-30-2013, 06:37 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Philadelphia View Post
NYC vs. Philly arguments are the worst. NYC is one of the largest cities in the world, that already means comparing Philly and NYC is apples and oranges. NYC has more of everything, and I mean everything...people, restaurants, museums, nightlife, parks, etc.

Having said that, so what? Philly has amazing restaurants, green space, bars, museums, nightlife, etc. Philly can offer you many of the things that NYC, albeit on a much smaller scale. This is what I love about Philly, it's so manageable and walkable and still offers exciting, urban living.

If I want to experience NYC, it's a quick trip north and I can easily make a weekend out of it. At the end of the day, NYC is too expensive and overbearing for me to live there, and I actually prefer to live in Philly for the above stated reasons. I do love making trips up to NYC though!

Philly is a great city but not on the level of NYC

The End
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia