Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 11:15 AM

4 posts, read 4,603 times

Advertisements

Greetings. I'm having a tough time figuring out my best rental option and I'm hoping you can help. :-) I'm moving from Florida to Philly for a new professor position. I want to live nearby culture, coffee shops, etc. (maybe Center City), but I'm worried it will be too loud and rowdy.

Here are some things I'm interested in finding:
-Laid back but close to culture and activities
-Walking friendly
-Max. 1,500 for an apartment
-I won't know a soul, so the availability of social outlets would be great
-Can anyone tell me the cost of renting a parking space?
-Is there a good apt. leasing company out there?

Or, maybe there's a suburban option that fits my needs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :-) I'm basically at your mercy since despite my research, I still can't fully determine what would be best.

Thank you, thank you!

KJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 AM

212 posts, read 611,004 times
If you're going to be working in University City, neighborhoods of interest for you in Philadelphia could be Fitler Square, Rittenhouse Square or Graduate Hospital. If you're thinking of looking in near suburbs Narberth or Ardmore could be good options. If your position is somewhere other than University City, other neighborhoods could be better.

Old 05-13-2013, 01:04 PM

Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll be working in Glassboro and was told many of the faculty commute from Philly. (Not the typical 8 to 5 job, and I'll be going against traffic.)

Fairmont looks nice. But is it in walking distance to other places (i.e., coffee shops, restaurants, taverns)?

Old 05-13-2013, 01:56 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,714,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by profkj View Post
Thanks so much for the feedback. I'll be working in Glassboro and was told many of the faculty commute from Philly. (Not the typical 8 to 5 job, and I'll be going against traffic.)

Fairmont looks nice. But is it in walking distance to other places (i.e., coffee shops, restaurants, taverns)?
Do you want to pay the Philadelphia wage tax & bridge tolls?

Old 05-13-2013, 03:38 PM

212 posts, read 611,004 times
If you're going to be working in Glassboro you may want to look at Haddonfield or Collingswood (both walkable towns with lots of the amenities you seemed to be looking for). You can drive or take PATCO into Philadelphia easily (it runs 24 hours a day/7 days a week) and save yourself a lot of wear and tear. You will also get a lot more apartment for your money, not have to pay extra for parking and probably save a considerable amount on car insurance.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:33 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,050,768 times
Looks like Fairmount / Art Museum / Logan Square would be great. Should be able to get a place with street parking to offset the $5 one way toll on the bridges. Otherwise center city parking can be up to $250 per month.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:04 PM

Wow, I didn't realize the toll is five bucks each way. That would easily amount to over $160 since I need to be on campus four days a week. I'll take a look at both places. Thanks!

Old 05-13-2013, 05:09 PM

4,521 posts, read 4,050,768 times
Quote:
Wow, I didn't realize the toll is five bucks each way. That would easily amount to over $160 since I need to be on campus four days a week. I'll take a look at both places. Thanks!
Pretty sure it's only one way

Old 05-13-2013, 05:35 PM

33 posts, read 51,583 times
Quote:

Keep in mind an additional 4% of your wages will be taxed as well if you live in the city(Philadelphia County). Philadelphia City Wage Tax.

I second the recommendations for Haddonfield and Collingswood NJ. Cherry Hil NJl is more typical autocentric suburbia but its a nice area as well, probably where you will find the best housing opportunities.

You can always visit the city in your spare time. And keep in mind the Bridge Toll is $5 but it covers a round trip.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:46 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,710,087 times
You could live in the city if you want. Bridge tolls are only one way (leaving NJ), and there will be an almost 4% Wage Tax living in Philadelphia (3.8% I believe), but the Wage Tax will start lowering again next year, and Philadelphia is typically has less property taxes than NJ. However, the commute time will also be more than a half hour. I would suggest, as the others have, Collingswood or Haddonfield. They have walkable downtown areas, and both are serviced by the PATCO train line, which will take you right into Center City Philadelphia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia