Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 PM

33 posts, read 49,651 times

Advertisements

Recently, I've been fascinated by high views and balconies. I've gotten onto a few parking lot roofs, but I was wondering, what's the best building to go to with free access to the roof? Preferably in center city so I can see the skyline from above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 06:15 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Watch for open houses in real estate ads and view the sample apartments at two liberty place. Also the new apartment building at 2116 Chestnut St if the samples are open yet.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:29 PM

364 posts, read 732,358 times
You can get into a lot of Temple buildings fairly easily. Anderson and Gladfelter halls are available until about 7 PM, sometimes as late as 9 because of night classes. You can take an elevator right up to the top. I would not recommend to do this during the day as the top floors are occupied by small departments (philosophy, Japanese, Russian, etc.) who will probably be suspicious.

Wachman Hall is also free to access, and tops out at 12 floors. Great east-west views. Sadly no southern views.

You may be able to get into TUCC (Temple University's Center City building) across from City Hall. It isn't tall but provides a unique view all around.

You can get into the Marriott freely. Just ride all the way up. I've heard that Loew's is more strict but not impossible. Aramark building is impossible (the guards will confirm a guest's presence with tenants and then badge you). Comcast Center is impossible unless you get into a school tour. I've been up to the topmost publicly-accessible floor (the top 2-3 floors are reserved for the CEO and execs only) -- amazing view, of course. The rumor is true: on a very clear day you can just barely make out the Borgata in the horizon.

Don't underestimate parking garages. Some of the taller ones in Chinatown are pretty cool:

(Wachman Hall is the building to the right of center with the Temple "T" painted on it twice).

Old 05-28-2013, 01:47 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
I like the parking garage at 30th and Chestnut. Awesome views of Center City from there.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:50 PM

Other great spots are the Powelton Yards and the Spring Garden St. Bridge. Not elevated but still wicked awesome.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:09 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
South Street bridge has a good view too. So does the Ben Franklin Bridge and obviously, the top of the art museum steps.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:01 PM

96 posts, read 360,496 times
For clarification, does it have to be a roof (outside) or not? Both R2L and the Pyramid Club are open access and provide great views.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:50 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,225,174 times
Just pay the 5 dollars to go to the top of city hall. It'll be money well spent.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltimes View Post
For clarification, does it have to be a roof (outside) or not? Both R2L and the Pyramid Club are open access and provide great views.
For free?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Just pay the 5 dollars to go to the top of city hall. It'll be money well spent.
Your time is limited. If you really want some significant time up high the options I mentioned are better.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:10 PM

96 posts, read 360,496 times
I've gone up to the Pyramid to show guests the view, dressed appropriately of course, at off hours, and not spending more than 5-10 minutes. There are also a ton of events held up there that I've access to non-members. R2L is a restaurant and bar. Spend as long as you like, though buying a drink would seem to be good form. Both of these are significantly higher than other suggestions (though I think R2L is only on 37, so not that high really). Also, I'm pretty sure a comcast employee can bring guests into their dining room. It's also loaned out a lot for fundraisers and networking events, so perhaps you could get on some invite lists around the city for access, particularly groups that Comcast and/or the Roberts support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia