Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 05:44 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times

Advertisements

The city will likely not 100% gentrify but I believe a good swath of the city will. There are still plenty of places for the poor. I know it is kind of messed up just "moving the poor around" but a lot less people get displaced from gentrification then anti-gentrifiers would have you believe. There is plenty of room for all. Remember, Philadelphia is a city of 1.6 million, built for a city of 3 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
The city is too big to become what DC and San Francisco are approaching. A huge swath of North Philly has issues that are beyond Templetown's ability to address. If Bridesburg ever somehow becomes the new Northern Liberties, that could signal the end of the reversal of fortune that some feel has befallen the lower Northeast. If SW Philly were marketed more to business travelers who had to fly out of the airport regularly, that could raise the average income level a bit. Other than that...as already said, much of the rest of the city is well on its way to increasing the number of stable, desirable places to live.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:01 AM

36 posts, read 66,929 times
Southwest Philly is in major decline.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJhighlands87 View Post
I would guess the west side of South Philly will gentrify, and Penntrification will extend further into West Philly. It would be nice if Temple could induce a similar process in the lower north. I have a hard time seeing Strawberry Mansion, Nicetown etc. ever gentrifying, I'm sure most would be happy with increased safety and stability in those neighborhoods though.
And Drextrification is helping out the area, not just Penn.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:54 AM

4,507 posts, read 4,046,465 times
I agree with some other posters... Significant gentrification is going to require better public schools. The bread and butter for the majority of the city is going the be the born and raised, and if their schooling is not up to gentry producing par then you simply won't have a majorly gentrified city. This city needs brought up from the ground but a fight from the center is going to make some way too.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:12 PM

882 posts, read 1,671,190 times
Quote:
And Drextrification is helping out the area, not just Penn.
Sorry, did not mean to slight Drexel. Drexel just doesn't "rhyme" the way Penn does.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:35 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I agree with some other posters... Significant gentrification is going to require better public schools. The bread and butter for the majority of the city is going the be the born and raised, and if their schooling is not up to gentry producing par then you simply won't have a majorly gentrified city. This city needs brought up from the ground but a fight from the center is going to make some way too.
Completely incorrect. Families do not gentrify. Young professionals, singles, hipsters, etc. gentrify. IDK why everyone on this forum thinks schools are the end all be all. It is not.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:15 PM

35 posts, read 71,650 times
My Background: I am a 25 year old African American male. I was born and raised in north Philly (29th Cecil B Moore). When I was 19 years old I moved to the Holmesburg section of Philadelphia. I am currently attending ESU, yet I have many friends and associates that attend (Temple, Drexel, Upenn, and La Salle). With that said, I know people from every race and economic background.

Regarding SCHOOLs: Philadelphia public school have always suck, and parents were aware of this. So decent parents either got their children into public high schools such as central, girls high, or FLC. Some parent spent money and sent their children to catholic schools (St. Hubert, Father Judge, Roman, etc), or the parents just used another relative address outside the city. By that way, the public schools suck by design, the public schools produce the poor uneducated class to serve the system. Sadly they are disposable and are easily managed as we see.

SW and NE are seeing temporarily declines. This is because the poor uneducated class is being pushed out of the inner city area. However, there are certain neighborhood that will maintain due to there home market values; for example, in the far NE the poor uneducated class will not able to penetrate such neighborhoods such as East Torresdale and Parkwood because the homes price range is 150k-300k. So the poor uneducated class is being push to lower buck for example Bristol and Bensaleum. In SW they are being pushed into Darby and Upper Darby, even Sharon Hill.

Oh yea, Philly isn't too big of a city to make the complete transition. The problem is that Philly has no order because it profitable to the criminal justice system. However, if Philly adapted and enforced NYC gun & stop and frisk laws the poor uneducated class implode in 2-3 years. I know many guys who have been in jail 3-6 times and are walking the streets. However, when the poor uneducated class began targeting white college students the Philly elites will be fore to act. It's all a game of chess.

Old 06-19-2013, 04:48 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr19136 View Post
By that way, the public schools suck by design, the public schools produce the poor uneducated class to serve .
I've been suspecting this for a while now. The needy districts are vastly underfunded - everyone knows it - nobody fixes it.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:08 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjr19136 View Post
I know many guys who have been in jail 3-6 times and are walking the streets. However, when the poor uneducated class began targeting white college students the Philly elites will be fore to act. It's all a game of chess.
In that case, we should make it harder on people who choose to commit violent crimes. People who commit crimes with firearms should be forced to serve their full sentences with no parole, and they should be denied plea bargaining before the cases go to court. And the sentences should double for any offender who already has a criminal record. I'll bet you dollars to donuts that these kinds of measures alone would dramatically reduce the amount of violent crime, especially involving firearms, because the vast majority of violent crime in any city is committed by the same people.

People already know what the laws are. Instead of enacting prevention measures (ex.: "stop and frisk"), which can be very invasive for law-abiding citizens, the punishment should be more severe for more severe crimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia