Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:54 PM

421 posts, read 835,003 times

Advertisements

I read this gem of a paragraph in a rather long article about the PLCB privatization being debated right now:
Quote:
Anyone traveling outside Pennsylvania knows how refreshing it is to enter a grocery store and, remembering you need a bottle of wine, browse the plethora of vino at your fingertips. Since others accomplish this feat with little difficulty, it’s incomprehensible that the nation’s sixth-largest state can’t — or, more accurately, won’t — do the same.
http://www.delcotimes.com/articles/2...b936509390.txt

Actually, no supermarkets in Delaware sell alcoholic beverages. Nor can most supermarkets in New Jersey or the parts of Maryland remotely close to Philadelphia. First of all, Maryland liquor laws are by county, not at state level. New Jersey restricts each grocery chain to ownership of two liquor licenses, meaning Acme for example can only pick two of their stores in the whole state to sell alcohol at. Also, Delaware allows supermarket chains to own liquor stores, but they must be entirely separate (so they might as well be across the street or at the far other end of the shopping center) from the supermarket itself. Most Southern states, California, Illinois, and most other states of all political persuasions are more relaxed than NJ, DE, and, MD, not to mention PA. While this may sound ridiculous, I like the PA system better than what any of our border states have, because while sales are far from convenient in PA, seedy liquor stores (except for some beer distributors and the worse state stores) are mostly shut out of our lives. And while making a separate trip to a state store is not convenient for grocery shoppers, I look at it this way... what is going to have a bigger selection, one half aisle of wines and one half aisle of spirits in a supermarket, or either a whole store dedicated to beer or a whole store that is dedicated to wine/spirits?

Last edited by toobusytoday; 04-11-2013 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: added LINK. PLease do not post quotes without a link!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 07:16 AM

3,307 posts, read 9,384,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
what is going to have a bigger selection, one half aisle of wines and one half aisle of spirits in a supermarket, or either a whole store dedicated to beer or a whole store that is dedicated to wine/spirits?
Most grocery stores I've been to in VA have way more than a "half aisle" of wines.

For any wines you can't find at the grocery store, you go to a specialty shop like Total Wine, which has far better prices, better service, and better selection than a PA state store.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:20 AM

41,967 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wardwhirlboromarlpool1955 View Post
Actually, no supermarkets in Delaware sell alcoholic beverages. Nor can most supermarkets in New Jersey or the parts of Maryland remotely close to Philadelphia.
The only thing inaccurate here is your interpretation of the article. Pennsylvania is more than Philadelphia, and borders states other than New Jersey, Maryland and Delaware.

Quote:
While this may sound ridiculous
It does indeed.

Here are some of my favorite "seedy" wine and liquor stores:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-village-...ellars-lebanon
http://dillycafe.com/
https://www.thepartysource.com/
http://www.arrowwineandspirits.com/
http://www.hydeparkgourmet.com/

Old 04-11-2013, 07:47 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,010 times
There may have been an inaccuracy printed in a newspaper? OMG....what's next, sliced bread? Seriously, newspapers get it wrong more often then they get it right because the reporters aren't familier with their subject. If you are ever involved personally in an incident and then read about it later you will see what I mean.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:49 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,654,477 times
Buying wine in NY is SO much more of a pleasant experience than in PA. The PLCB is one of the things I miss least about PA, and this might be the only idea Corbett's had that I'd get behind.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
There may have been an inaccuracy printed in a newspaper?
The article was not inaccurate.

The OP is mistaken in thinking that "outside Pennsylvania" includes only Delaware, New Jersey and Maryland. Other states do indeed allow beer and wine sales in grocery stores; some, like California and Michigan, allow liquor sales in grocery stores.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:42 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,263,903 times
I've lived in states that have great liquor stores and also allow the grocery stores to sell sprits. It is a great convenience. We used to run to a warehouse style liquor store for large volume liquor purchases, yet while grocery shopping, could pick up a six pack or special bottle of wine to go with that evening's meal. The fact that the warehouse could sell wine, liquor and beer meant for one-stop shopping. In fact, the "warehouse" store we frequented also sold cheese, gourmet food, cookware and lots of different items. I did not see "seedy" liquor stores as a result of allowing the free-market system to operate in this manner. In truth, the PA state stores seem considerable seedier to me than those where I used to live. That, along with poor selection, high price and staff attitude contribute to why I try to avoid them as much as possible since I'm lucky to live near the borders of two other states.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,486,382 times
PA liquor laws are ridiculous and the post-prohibition state store / beer distributor model needs to be eliminated immediately. will also generate more $ for the state via licensing and taxes, since it would be run better.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:40 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
The article was not inaccurate.

The OP is mistaken in thinking that "outside Pennsylvania" includes only Delaware, New Jersey and Maryland. Other states do indeed allow beer and wine sales in grocery stores; some, like California and Michigan, allow liquor sales in grocery stores.
I appreciate your point but that doesn't diminish the accuracy of my comment.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I appreciate your point but that doesn't diminish the accuracy of my comment.
I'd challenge you to compare the number of inaccurate statements to the number accurate statements in any newspaper on any day.

You'll be proven inaccurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia