Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 06:23 AM

1,041 posts, read 1,522,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanie Beanie View Post
Thanks for the video clip. I had forgotten how much I hated Rizzo. The reason the press was staked outside Rizzo's house was to document the fact that the Philly cops were private security guards for a private citizen - Frank was an ex-mayor, ex-police chief but had cops on guard on the Philadelphia taxpayers' dime. It was a legitimate story. Frank was above the law in his mind. The video shows that petty well.

I was a suburban kid when Frank was mayor, and I must say Frank's rule was borderline gestapo for teens & 20 somethings, too. No lie: the police would walk down Sansom Street or South Street on a Saturday afternoon, hands on billy clubs, and tell groups of 3 or 4 to "Move along, move along" and push people off the sidewalk. The stated purpose was to keep the hippies and dope smokers out of Philadelphia. I was there and it was a hostile environment, believe me. I love Philadelphia, but I hated Rizzo. I would have moved out of the city, too. The man had an arrogance... he just felt above the law. Ugh.
Who wants hippies and dope smokers around?

Old 07-20-2013, 01:30 PM

429 posts, read 719,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bowa View Post
Who wants hippies and dope smokers around?
If one harasses every teen wearing a paisley shirt or bellbottom pants because they MIGHT be a hippie, then you will alienate every teen; that was Rizzo's attitude as mayor. Does every youth wearing a hoodie sweatshirt today equal a thug? Too broad a brush to paint everyone with, then and now. Rizzo was a bully.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:38 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
If one harasses every teen wearing a paisley shirt or bellbottom pants because they MIGHT be a hippie, then you will alienate every teen; that was Rizzo's attitude as mayor. Does every youth wearing a hoodie sweatshirt today equal a thug? Too broad a brush to paint everyone with, then and now. Rizzo was a bully.

If it's snowing and cold......NO but if it's a nice clear day and the guy has on a hoodie than means he is a thug since that is the look of the criminals you see on the news

Old 07-20-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
How you dress is portrayed by most human beings as to the lifestyle you may lead. We all judge a book by it's cover. All of us.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:48 PM

1,165 posts, read 1,515,217 times
Obviously you people have not been to the suburbs of Michigan... lordy. A good number of white teenagers walk around in hoodies, even when it isn't "snowing and cold". I don't think that wearing one necessarily implies you are a criminal.

Oh and, Larry, while one may judge a book by its cover, one judgement isn't as good as the next and some are outright bad in terms of being anywhere near accurate.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Obviously you people have not been to the suburbs of Michigan... lordy. A good number of white teenagers walk around in hoodies, even when it isn't "snowing and cold". I don't think that wearing one necessarily implies you are a criminal.

Oh and, Larry, while one may judge a book by its cover, one judgement isn't as good as the next and some are outright bad in terms of being anywhere near accurate.
They're usually not accurate, but humans still (and will continue to do so) judge. Although, a lot of times you CAN tell where someone's "coming from" based on how they dress.

And I don't think people worry so much about a hoodie. Hell, I where them all fall and winter. It's more a matter of how they were them and how they carry themselves.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
They're usually not accurate, but humans still judge.
Of course! How would we survive with out it? Too bad that our ability to judge has been far surpassed and cannot typically cope very well with society today. Also too bad that people tend to glorify things like age, intuition, etc. as a means of attempting to give vitality back to their judgement.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cnote11 View Post
Of course! How would we survive with out it? Too bad that our ability to judge has been far surpassed and cannot typically cope very well with society today. Also too bad that people tend to glorify things like age, intuition, etc. as a means of attempting to give vitality back to their judgement.
How old are you?

Old 07-20-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
How old are you?
Old enough to be a psychology researcher, run a philosophy and psychology journal, work with the top minds in my field, and understand a good deal about humans, logic, statistics, among many other things. My age, whether it is in the teens or in the nineties, has nothing at all to do with what you are replying to.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:41 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
They're usually not accurate, but humans still (and will continue to do so) judge. Although, a lot of times you CAN tell where someone's "coming from" based on how they dress.

And I don't think people worry so much about a hoodie. Hell, I where them all fall and winter. It's more a matter of how they were them and how they carry themselves.
People do like to stereotype, although I have never noticed it much based on dress other then maybe a female dressing provocatively. But in general impressions based on stereotypes often end up being wrong. I would like to hear some examples of how you would maybe judge someone based on dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia