Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 PM

10 posts, read 31,271 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know about Lansdowne area? Please recommendation about living there.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 04:29 PM

584 posts, read 1,425,494 times
I really like Lansdowne. There have been a lot of positive changes in the area over the last few years. The school district, however, is pretty poor.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:04 PM

301 posts, read 922,172 times
i bought a house here in 2007 and I love it.

I JUST started going to the saturday-only Lansdowne Farmer's Market and I keep kicking myself for not being a regular. it's surprisingly safe, as I walk my dog at I walk my dog at all hours at night. Though the silence at 3AM is eerie

I also didn't realize that there was a regional rail station at Lansdowne Ave and Baltimore until recently...I STILL refuse to take the EL from 69th st through West Philly...maybe if there was a frequent express train that skipped all the West Philly stops...even at night...more so at night...

There IS the fear of West Philly ratchetness moving into the area as more and more of West Philly and Baltimore Ave is becoming gentrified...

Old 08-28-2013, 01:15 AM

1 posts, read 4,392 times
love it here

Old 08-28-2013, 05:50 PM

3 posts, read 8,926 times
We're a married couple in our late 20's and we bought a house here in 2009. We love it here! We found it to be very quiet, safe, and very convenient to CC. I walk to the Gladstone station to commute to work (Lansdowne has two regional rail stations) and it only takes about 20 minutes to CC.

The good:
-Close to CC, University City, hip places in West Philly, etc...
-Downtown Lansdowne is flourishing. Even since 2009 there have been many shops and restaurants that have opened, and there are even more planned.
Vinyl Revival | Not Your Ordinary Record Store
Argana Moroccan Cuisine - Home
Home
ETC...
-Housing is cheap so you can get a great deal on a nice property. Prettiest sections are west of Lansdowne Ave. like Gladstone Manor, and on Glentay Ave
-Plenty of small parks
-Access to public transportation
-Very quiet
-Lots of 20 and 30+ year old families moving to the area

The bad:

-Getting out the neighborhood is horrible. Due to the lack of major roads in the area it is time consuming to get to I-95, I-76, and I-476 if you need to commute further out to work. People around here are crazy taking every side street through Drexel Hill and blowing through stop signs in the morning.
-The school district is pretty bad. We don't have any kids, but we plan to, so that's gonna be a bit of a problem for us personally. The high school was also set on fire as well due to arson.
- Crime in my opinion is pretty low but it is good to be aware of what goes on. Here is a link to Lansdowne's police blotter: Lansdowne Police Department - Current Blotter
-We unfortunately lost one of our quirkier establishments Cinema 16:9 Welcome

Hope this helps!

Old 08-28-2013, 09:56 PM

301 posts, read 922,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGrumpyGrandpa View Post

-We unfortunately lost one of our quirkier establishments Cinema 16:9 Welcome

was replaced by a potentially quirky establishment, Vinyl Revival

Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,681 times
I would personally stay away from Lansdowne as the school district is just not good, which means it's doubtful the home prices will ever truly rise to gain equity down the road. If you're just looking for a temporary living situation it could be OK, but you can probably do a little better further into Delco. Do you have a price range? That would help me steer you into a direction

Old 08-30-2013, 08:56 AM

103 posts, read 366,376 times
I used to rent there. It is a very nice place and has a small town/small community feel to it. When I was looking for a house it was one of the few places that I actually fell in love with and wanted to live. Unfortunately, the taxes were a little bit too expensive for me with my budget. If in the future my financial situation improves to where I can afford to I would not hesitate to purchase a home there.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:40 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
I would personally stay away from Lansdowne as the school district is just not good, which means it's doubtful the home prices will ever truly rise to gain equity down the road. If you're just looking for a temporary living situation it could be OK, but you can probably do a little better further into Delco. Do you have a price range? That would help me steer you into a direction
Not everybody has kids or wants kids.

I'm considering moving there. Though farther away from my job it's more convenient then where I'm at, esp. with mass transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia