Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 11:20 AM

67 posts, read 294,865 times

Advertisements

Moving from Texas. Have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that is rear wheel drive. Have no experience driving in snow, ice, etc. Do I need an all wheel drive or 4WD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2013, 11:54 AM

434 posts, read 1,313,138 times
I would strongly recommend at least front wheel drive. All wheel drive would be best.

I wouldn't take a rear-wheel drive car out in the snow (unless the roads were clear) and I'm from Boston.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:14 PM
LHM

204 posts, read 413,162 times
Typically, rear-wheel drive vehicles don't handle the snow so well.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:21 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbug35 View Post
Moving from Texas. Have a Jeep Grand Cherokee that is rear wheel drive. Have no experience driving in snow, ice, etc. Do I need an all wheel drive or 4WD?
Yes and no.

Start with good all seaon tires or get a set of snow tires. I wouldn't just go out and change to a 4 wheel drive.

Driving in snow, takes some getting used to. Biggest problem in driving in snow isn't always about you. It's dealing with the idiots out there. It may get tricky with rear whell going starting from up hill (espcially without traction control or winter tires).

Driving in ice? dont' even bother. 4 Wheel drive doen't allow you to drive in the ice.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:49 PM

14 posts, read 19,424 times
Get a set of snow tires and you will be fine with rear wheel drive...
Germans do just fine with their MB and BMWs, they just make sure to change the tires on their cars.
I've done the same on my BMW. Makes a world of difference!

Old 12-16-2013, 02:35 PM

154 posts, read 322,622 times
Quote:
do you have 4wd on the jeep? Mine is 2wd with the ability to put it in 4wd full time or 4wd part time.

according to car and driver a front wheel drive car with snow tires is better than an all wheel drive car with low profile summer tires........

no point buying a 4wd vehicle just for snow, it doesn't snow often enough where you would need it. 3-4 days a year and you're stuck paying for poor gas mileage the other 360 days. Unless you go off road, etc.

tires are the most important, snow tires are still better than all weather, if you can afford two sets. throw them on from thanksgiving to easter.

people don't understand how overrated 4wd is. you can't do half the things with it that people think you can and none of the things you see in the commercials. at least not with off the lot stock vehicles.

the best option between 2wd, 4wd, and front wheel drive is to stay the hell off the roads during and right after a storm. period. let the plows and the emergency crews do their jobs.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:53 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Your specific location will be a factor.

South Jersey and Delaware tend to be flatter and warmer- less snow.

The PA burbs you go from coastal plain to the piedmont - more hilly more snow the further you head N + W from the city.

The city itself acts as a heat island in many cases(less snow) but when it stays cold enough the buildings block out the sun, the narrow streets are usually poorly treated and tend to be a nightmare as they ice up.

Old 12-16-2013, 03:55 PM

Thanks so much for the replies. I do not have the 4wd option unfortunately. My jeep is old, but still in good running condition. I could trade it in on an AWD, but I would rather save my money for school. So, if you guys think snow tires will do the trick, I will give it a try. I am terrified of the weather!!

Old 12-16-2013, 04:03 PM

Well... my specific location will be all of those places!! I will have internships in NJ and Delaware. I plan on living close to UPenn. I would like to avoid driving altogether, but don't think that will be possible.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:22 AM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Thanks so much for the replies. I do not have the 4wd option unfortunately. My jeep is old, but still in good running condition. I could trade it in on an AWD, but I would rather save my money for school. So, if you guys think snow tires will do the trick, I will give it a try. I am terrified of the weather!!
Don't be. The roads in the NE is a bit different than roads in the South. Asphalt is less slippery with snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia