Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:32 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
Eh, I wouldn't be so quick to get offended. DC/Boston was his "east coast" blurb. Chicago was his "city in the middle", and LA in the west.

And remember, the superbowl has typically been hosted either in warm weather cities, or in a place with a dome, simply because it's played in the dead of winter. It's not a power ranking of cities in any way.
That's why it's usually hosted in places like NOLA, Miami, Jacksonville, San Diego, etc. The only cold weather cities it's ever been played in before were Detroit (dome), Minneapolis (dome), and Indianapolis (dome).

This superbowl in NYC was the first of it's kind in that regard. It was an anomaly.

Well I lived in the Boston area 15 years ago and it gets much colder up there in the winter so I don't think it would be a good option anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2014, 10:14 PM

1,449 posts, read 2,185,800 times
You must be joking. Just because some guy from ESPN made a quick example by mentioning two other cities in the corridor without referencing Philadelphia, you come to this conclusion? Boston is not more powerful than Philadelphia.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:17 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
You must be joking. Just because some guy from ESPN made a quick example by mentioning two other cities in the corridor without referencing Philadelphia, you come to this conclusion? Boston is not more powerful than Philadelphia.

I actually hear it all the time and last night made me create this thread

Old 02-04-2014, 10:34 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,650,325 times
IMO the first step towards Philly kicking it's "inferiority complex" rap is Philadelphians not being so insecure about silly things like this! 'More powerful city'? Really?

Old 02-05-2014, 05:27 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabottom View Post
I wanted know what the guy meant when he referred to Boston as a powerful east coast city
You'll have to ask that guy then. I really wouldn't worry about anything a sports talking head has to say. Angelo Caltaldi, Skip Bayless, etc, I can't really think of a bigger group of morons.

Old 02-05-2014, 07:33 AM

4,512 posts, read 4,040,975 times
Any conclusion that depends on information from the mass media is a fallacy. The question should really be, why is ESPN intentionally censoring out philly?

Old 02-05-2014, 07:47 AM

149 posts, read 324,065 times
Because Boston's just better. Duh .

In all seriousness, it was just a list. You didn't expect them to list every city. If you're talking about a general consensus about the "ranking" of East Coast cities and why Boston gets more pub than Phila, I think a lot of it has to do with Clark Park's point. IMO, Boston, New York and DC stand out because they represent different regions or have unique characteristics (DC is the nation's capitol, NYC is... NYC, Boston is that quaint city up with those quaint New England states). Cities like Phila & Baltimore, which have their own unique characteristics, just don't stand out as much to the rest of the country for some reason and just get blobbed together as another East Coast metropolis. All of them are pretty much interchangeable in a general discussion but I think those 3 stand out when speaking with someone outside of the northeast.

Also, speaking as a Patriot's fan myself, Phila would be much more suited to hosting a Superbowl than Boston... mainly because their stadium is actually in Philly & not 30min outside on Rt. 1! I actually think Philly would be perfect for it... as long as visitors stay away from those projectile-vomiting Philly fans

Old 02-05-2014, 10:18 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaDragon View Post
as long as visitors stay away from those projectile-vomiting Philly fans
I still don't understand why everyone thinks of the guy who vomited on the Phillies fan as the representative of Philadelphia fans and not the half-dozen Phillies fans who beat the crap out of the guy immediately after. Violence is more our thing. The vomiter was just one guy from South Jersey who got upset that a little kid Phillies fan told him to stop cursing so much.

Old 02-05-2014, 10:56 AM

149 posts, read 324,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I still don't understand why everyone thinks of the guy who vomited on the Phillies fan as the representative of Philadelphia fans and not the half-dozen Phillies fans who beat the crap out of the guy immediately after. Violence is more our thing. The vomiter was just one guy from South Jersey who got upset that a little kid Phillies fan told him to stop cursing so much.
Because who vomits on people?

Old 02-05-2014, 12:26 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,926,582 times
ESPN is based in Connecticut between NYC and Boston FYI.

Philly also isn't a targeted market city for ESPN like NYC, Boston, Chicago, Dallas and LA (probably because of Comcast).

And the only reason people think Boston is more powerful than Philly is because Bostonians themselves think they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia