Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 06:17 PM

178 posts, read 258,127 times

Advertisements

Swarthmore is a tiny town of 6000 people. It might be safe in the town, but I personally would never consider a small geographic area as an indicator of the safety of an area. How does crime look like in a 5 mile radius?

I would never purchase a house and put roots down 3 miles from the most dangerous city in the country. That's insane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2015, 06:22 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon2014 View Post
Swarthmore is a tiny town of 6000 people. It might be safe in the town, but I personally would never consider a small geographic area as an indicator of the safety of an area. How does crime look like in a 5 mile radius?
Draw a five-mile radius around Gladwyne, and you'll also hit some extremely high-crime areas. And a lot more than just Swarthmore is nice. Nether Providence, Rose valley, Media, Upper Providence, Edgmont, and a whole bunch of other nearby suburbs are among Philly's finest.

Quote:
I would never purchase a house and put roots down 3 miles from the most dangerous city in the country. That's insane.
Except it isn't, because some municipal boundaries (e.g., City Avenue) are tantamount to twenty-foot high brick walls. Chester died long ago. Swarthmore has only increased in cachet with time.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
because some municipal boundaries (e.g., City Avenue) are tantamount to twenty-foot high brick walls
I'm sorry, but it is not a brick wall, and that's exactly the problem. Old City in Philly is separated by a mile wide river from Camden. That's a barrier. City Avenue is not.

I understand your eagerness to defend your neighbourhood, but I'm just stating facts for the person that is not from the area. They can verify all the facts themselves by just looking at the map.

And the facts are Swarthmore is in extreme close proximity to the airport, the refineries, and is sandwiched between Chester and Upper Darby. You can't argue with basic facts.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but it is not a brick wall, and that's exactly the problem. Old City in Philly is separated by a mile wide river from Camden. That's a barrier. City Avenue is not.

I understand your eagerness to defend your neighbourhood, but I'm just stating facts for the person that is not from the area. They can verify all the facts themselves by just looking at the map.

And the facts are Swarthmore is in extreme close proximity to the airport, the refineries, and is sandwiched between Chester and Upper Darby. You can't argue with basic facts.
I'm not from Swarthmore. Your fearmongering is simply misplaced. "Brick wall" here is a figurative term. Swarthmore shows absolutely no signs of decline. The airport, refineries, and less desirable towns have zero effect on its quality of life.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Your fearmongering is simply misplaced
That's only your opinion.

Quote:
The airport, refineries, and less desirable towns have zero effect on its quality of life.
That's only your opinion.

Quote:
Swarthmore is in extreme close proximity to the airport, the refineries, and is sandwiched between Chester and Upper Darby
That's facts.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
That's facts.
And the implication that they have any effect on the quality of life is only your opinion, and a tiny minority opinion at that. Hopefully others will chime in to that effect. If you have noise pollution, air quality, or criminal activity statistics that show to the contrary, I'm all ears. Otherwise, I have zero interest in your conjecture.

Old 03-04-2015, 09:20 PM

204 posts, read 388,722 times
This whole discussion is ridiculous. The OP is coming from Silicon Valley where multimillion dollar homes sell for cash despite being literally right next to areas of extreme poverty. Look at Palo Alto and East Palo Alto, one is one of the richest and most desirable cities in the country, the other is arguably the most dangerous part of the south Bay Area, and all that separates them is a freeway. I highly doubt the OP will shy away from some of the nicest PA towns because they are several miles from bad areas. Not saying further-out cities like Doylestown aren't lovely, but the original request was to be near the airport and crime should be a non-issue for somewhere like Swarthmore.

Old 03-04-2015, 10:37 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:

Do you somehow think that Chester is more dangerous than Camden?

Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Do you somehow think that Chester is more dangerous than Camden?
About the same. They always trade places at the very top or the 100 most dangerous cities in the nation.

But the difference with Camden is that it is a much smaller area than the huge areas of poverty and crime in and around West Philadelphia, South West Philadelphia, and Chester areas. And the river is a natural barrier. So the south NJ suburbs have to deal with a much smaller hot-spot.

Old 03-05-2015, 08:27 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestcoast View Post
This whole discussion is ridiculous. The OP is coming from Silicon Valley where multimillion dollar homes sell for cash despite being literally right next to areas of extreme poverty. Look at Palo Alto and East Palo Alto, one is one of the richest and most desirable cities in the country, the other is arguably the most dangerous part of the south Bay Area, and all that separates them is a freeway. I highly doubt the OP will shy away from some of the nicest PA towns because they are several miles from bad areas. Not saying further-out cities like Doylestown aren't lovely, but the original request was to be near the airport and crime should be a non-issue for somewhere like Swarthmore.
Agree completely. The concerns about crime near places like Swarthmore or on the Main Line are laughable. If you go far enough from any safe town, you're obviously going to find an area that isn't quite as safe.

Being so alarmist about being "only miles" (the horror!) away from a semi-dangerous area is not a realistic way to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia