Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 03:01 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times

Advertisements

The last 10 years is 2005-2014, which had a giant collapse of the national economy right in the middle of it. The United States only has about 8,000,000 more jobs now than it did 10 years ago, which amounts to between 60,000 and 70,000 jobs created per month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2015, 03:44 PM

178 posts, read 258,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
looking at growth over the past 10 years--in Philadelphia or nationwide--is rather meaningless as a benchmark, as we've gone through one of the most pronounced and abnormal recessions in a very long time
I'm not sure where you got your education, but I'm pretty sure as long as you compare apples to apples, i.e. different cities but as same time period, then it just an meaningful as any other comparison.

TLDR; apples to apples = meaningful, apples to orange = not meaningful

Old 03-18-2015, 05:56 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon2014 View Post
I'm not sure where you got your education, but I'm pretty sure as long as you compare apples to apples, i.e. different cities but as same time period, then it just an meaningful as any other comparison.

TLDR; apples to apples = meaningful, apples to orange = not meaningful
No need to question my education. It should simply be recognized that paltry growth was the norm for the past decade. That's all there is to it.

Not to mention, Philadelphia's economic growth, is, as stated for the umpteenth time, traditionally slower than the US due to slower population growth. That's really a Northeastern phenomenon; any place outside of the Sun Belt is most likely going to have statistically significant lower job growth than the US average. It's just a function of being in a more mature/established area.

Old 03-19-2015, 05:35 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan95 View Post
I don't think anyone is really surprised by this, though. It lost a lot of jobs in the recession, mitigating any gains it has made of late. The point of the post is that since the recession, things have looked generally positive! Slow and steady...
Philadelphia has posted fairly weak job growth trailing national averages. It has also become increasingly dependent on eds and meds. The tech sector still has not recovered from the dot Com bubble. As a whole there has been little to crow about except for the fact city jobs have been growing for the first time in decades. Most of that growth has been west of the Schuylkill though.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:26 PM

283 posts, read 463,320 times
Philly is slower than average. But the point of the post in the first place is that job growth is accellerating, not that job growth was high. But that's still something to kind of be happy about. Anyone watching Philly lately has noticed a definite uptick in growth, particularly in Center City.

Old 03-20-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan95 View Post
Philly is slower than average. But the point of the post in the first place is that job growth is accellerating, not that job growth was high. But that's still something to kind of be happy about. Anyone watching Philly lately has noticed a definite uptick in growth, particularly in Center City.
Except that the job growth hasn't been in center city..

Old 03-20-2015, 11:12 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
However you feel personally. It doesn't change that fact that there is 8.5 billion dollars worth of investment taking place in our city. That number is nothing to scoff at.

Yesterday:
https://www.bisnow.com/philadelphia/...ter-city-44013

How can we be not a little excited that two Fortune 500 companies are building massive towers to reshape the skyline. Someone is going to have to work in these buildings you know..

Old 03-21-2015, 08:41 AM

Yeah its personal feelings lol. There is a lot of investment but that's not the same thing as center city job growth. If it's happening I'd love to see it but simply being a cheerleader doesn't change the facts in the recent past

Old 03-21-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
Except that the job growth hasn't been in center city..
You're clearly referring to the fact that job growth in Philly has largely been concentrated in University City, but so what? It's still a huge plus for the city, and for all intents and purposes UC is quickly becoming an extension of Center City.

Old 03-21-2015, 08:48 AM

Although this may have been posted on this board already, please also note that over the past several years, Philadelphia proper is now gaining jobs faster than the suburbs.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/24..._r=0&referrer=
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia