Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 06:10 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Name a city that does compare to NY(in America) and Ill give you a cookie. I have no idea why people always compare the two cities. Philly gets compared to NY more than any other city in America. Its crazy.
There's nothing crazy about it. They are only 90 miles apart. Even if the rivalry makes no sense to you, the closeness of the two makes comparisons automatic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 06:26 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna101 View Post
Manhattan's population nearly triples during the weekdays because of how many people work/visit there. This is a tiny island that already has above 1.6 million people living on it. During weekdays, it serves 4 million passerbys and residents. On weekends, it's 2.9 million. Imagine Philadelphia's population doubling in a few hours because of visitors and workers! 300,000 workers going to Center City and University City a day is nothing.

And for the traffic, have you ever driven on the BQE?? I have as many as 35 times and it's clogged at almost all hours of the day. It doesn't matter if it's 11pm or 2pm. It will somehow get clogged. There's just too many cars going through an antiquated expressway that's often under construction.
On the other hand, I could be driving at 75 mph on the Schuylkill Exp at 8 pm on a Wednesday if I'm lucky despite the fact that it's known for being clogged.
The same can't be said about NYC
A cool feature you can check out is the Google Maps traffic feature. You can either see live traffic or "typical traffic" at certain hours in the day based on previous data. You can see that typical traffic on Sunday at 10pm in NYC is red and yellow while Philadelphia's highways remain green with the exception of some merge points.
Also, traffic data can be skewed because Philadelphia is a more vehicle oriented city than NYC. Commuters in Philly are more likely to use their cars than those in NYC, thus resulting in more wasted time. More Philly commuters use cars and waste time in traffic while a majority of NYC commuters use public transport.
Think about how many people commute from KOP or Cherry Hill into Philly. Now think about the lack of public transportation options there when compared to places like Queens, the Bronx, or Brooklyn in NYC.

They're just completely different places. It's like comparing a Volkswagen Jetta to a Mercedes S class while asserting that they must be similar in some way since they're both German cars.
Again, I like both cities but you're really comparing two things that should not be compared.

In the end, Philly is a typical "all American city" with lots of people driving their own cars and some urban sprawl/suburban development, while NYC is a metropolis that can compete with some of the world's most vast and populous cities. (The NYC metro area still has a little over half the population of Tokyo metro area though LOL)

I drove the Schuylkill for over a year from Center City to King of Prussia. It was a horrible experience.

All central suburbs (including Cherry Hill) have easy public transportation access into Philadelphia. King of Prussia is one of the exceptions of large suburban centers that does not have direct train access into Philadelphia.

Love it. A metro area with over 6 million people has SOME urban sprawl and SOME suburban development.

Lets throw Washington DC, Boston, Dallas, Chicago and San Francisco into the bunch too since every major US city outside of NYC is a country village.

And I guess that means Tokyo can snuff their nose at NYC since there are less people.

Old 08-14-2015, 03:12 PM

103 posts, read 82,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I drove the Schuylkill for over a year from Center City to King of Prussia. It was a horrible experience.

All central suburbs (including Cherry Hill) have easy public transportation access into Philadelphia. King of Prussia is one of the exceptions of large suburban centers that does not have direct train access into Philadelphia.

Love it. A metro area with over 6 million people has SOME urban sprawl and SOME suburban development.

Lets throw Washington DC, Boston, Dallas, Chicago and San Francisco into the bunch too since every major US city outside of NYC is a country village.

And I guess that means Tokyo can snuff their nose at NYC since there are less people.
Well, Tokyo can gladly snuff their nose at NYC because the streets are clean enough to roll around naked on and the crime rate is incredibly low despite having double the people!
Anyone can snuff their nose at NYC if they please. That includes Philadelphia. Philadelphia shines in it's own way just like how NYC shines in it's own way. They aren't direct competitors though, just like how I discussed earlier. A shampoo bottle vs. a bottle of ranch dressing.. A Benz sedan vs. a VW sedan. Neither are better than each other, they're just for different things that have different perks.
A $120k Benz is essentially the same thing as a VW sedan. BUT, the Benz shines in comfort, quietness, and power. The VW sedan shines in value for money, gas efficiency, and ease of parking.
They're completely different and not comparable despite being essentially the same thing at the core... Just like Philadelphia vs. NYC

I also don't see how population makes things better. It only makes things completely different. Having a bunch of people in one place can't be perceived as either good or bad by everyone, but it can definitely be perceived as different by everyone.

https://www.centercityphila.org/docs...sportation.pdf

Last edited by crna101; 08-14-2015 at 03:26 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 05:38 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
I think you guys mean SNUB their noses (meaning to turn up one's nose). Snuffing would be shoving tobacco up your nose, which is weird.

Old 08-14-2015, 09:20 PM

103 posts, read 82,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I think you guys mean SNUB their noses (meaning to turn up one's nose). Snuffing would be shoving tobacco up your nose, which is weird.
I can't English all that well

Old 08-14-2015, 09:56 PM

746 posts, read 2,248,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
It was a Saturday. With beautiful weather.

If it's not busy on the weekend then when is it busy?
Is all of Philly like the financial district on a weekend in NYC? I covered a lot of ground in 6 hours; where are the people?

Go to NYC on Monday, Tu, We, TH, Fr, Sa, Su and there are a **** ton of people all over.

Philly seemed kind of boring. That doesn't necessarily mean bad. There's just no comparing Philly and NYC.
NYC is just on a whole other level.
really? NO. There aren't. I lived in Westchester for 3 years, worked in Midtown. In times square? Sure. But visit wall street on a weekend? Bowling alley!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Name a city that does compare to NY(in America) and Ill give you a cookie. I have no idea why people always compare the two cities. Philly gets compared to NY more than any other city in America. Its crazy.
Chicago. Even stole the James Beard Awards from NYC -- and has the NFL Draft - and Lolla. Lotsa sports teams (Bulls, Bears, Cubs, Sox, etc.), lots of great restaurants, lots of water, lots of ethnic neighborhoods ... great public transit - tall buildings - gorgeous skylines - the two cities while *entirely* different -- are very similar. Philadelphia owns the midatlantic for history. And you can't beat the brick sidewalks and buildings. And it has its own charm and elegance. It's the big city for people who want a small town. While NYC roars its greatness, Philly only needs to whisper its message to get it across. I've lived in all three.

Each city is an amalgm of its citizens, its leadership, an outcropping of its past. Philly has an incredibly rich history! Chicago had the *fire* -- which gave it an opportunity to rebuild - and really change its trajectory in a way NYC and Philly never can. People from Philly never really want it to be NYC - and people who visit from NYC are always welcome to take the Amtrak home. It sort of reminds me of how people in OR feel about visitors from CA. (you are welcome to come spend your money here. Just not on real estate, TYVM) Anyway. That's my $.02

Old 08-15-2015, 07:46 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crna101 View Post
Well, Tokyo can gladly snuff their nose at NYC because the streets are clean enough to roll around naked on and the crime rate is incredibly low despite having double the people!
Anyone can snuff their nose at NYC if they please. That includes Philadelphia. Philadelphia shines in it's own way just like how NYC shines in it's own way. They aren't direct competitors though, just like how I discussed earlier. A shampoo bottle vs. a bottle of ranch dressing.. A Benz sedan vs. a VW sedan. Neither are better than each other, they're just for different things that have different perks.
A $120k Benz is essentially the same thing as a VW sedan. BUT, the Benz shines in comfort, quietness, and power. The VW sedan shines in value for money, gas efficiency, and ease of parking.
They're completely different and not comparable despite being essentially the same thing at the core... Just like Philadelphia vs. NYC

I also don't see how population makes things better. It only makes things completely different. Having a bunch of people in one place can't be perceived as either good or bad by everyone, but it can definitely be perceived as different by everyone.

https://www.centercityphila.org/docs...sportation.pdf
Anyone who would pay 120k for a Mercedes is stupid. The only sedan model that approaches 120k is the S class, which is boring and dated. More like 60k vs 30k. But I'll take the VW. And philly can be the shampoo, NYC is the ranch.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:11 AM

135 posts, read 175,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
Chicago. Even stole the James Beard Awards from NYC -- and has the NFL Draft - and Lolla. Lotsa sports teams (Bulls, Bears, Cubs, Sox, etc.), lots of great restaurants, lots of water, lots of ethnic neighborhoods ... great public transit - tall buildings - gorgeous skylines - the two cities while *entirely* different -- are very similar. Philadelphia owns the midatlantic for history. And you can't beat the brick sidewalks and buildings. And it has its own charm and elegance. It's the big city for people who want a small town. While NYC roars its greatness, Philly only needs to whisper its message to get it across. I've lived in all three.

Each city is an amalgm of its citizens, its leadership, an outcropping of its past. Philly has an incredibly rich history! Chicago had the *fire* -- which gave it an opportunity to rebuild - and really change its trajectory in a way NYC and Philly never can. People from Philly never really want it to be NYC - and people who visit from NYC are always welcome to take the Amtrak home. It sort of reminds me of how people in OR feel about visitors from CA. (you are welcome to come spend your money here. Just not on real estate, TYVM) Anyway. That's my $.02

It owns the entire country for history. Everywhere on the east coast is second to Philadelphia for history.

Old 08-15-2015, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingeverywhere View Post
It owns the entire country for history. Everywhere on the east coast is second to Philadelphia for history.
you'd get a run for your money on that statement. Boston. (lived there too, met hubby there)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia