Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:39 PM

41,994 posts, read 75,295,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Over the past several years alone, there has been remarkable progress in station/infrastructure repairs and renovations,
It seems remarkable only because SEPTA had been mired in its own inertia and cronyism for so many decades. Compared to transit systems elsewhere in the country, SEPTA is stuck in the 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 03:24 PM

7,273 posts, read 10,619,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It seems remarkable only because SEPTA had been mired in its own inertia and cronyism for so many decades. Compared to transit systems elsewhere in the country, SEPTA is stuck in the 60s.
Have you ridden transit on other major metro systems on a regular basis? I have, and I can tell you that a lack of "inertia" and "cronyism" has not been unique to SEPTA. I'm not making this up: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...0aa_story.html

Once again, this same old song and dance about all-things-SEPTA being so uniquely terrible gets tiring. Get out and live in other cities, folks. It's not all roses and ponies elsewhere, as a "grass is always greener" mentality would have you believe.

Last edited by Duderino; 10-01-2015 at 03:34 PM..

Old 10-01-2015, 06:23 PM

82 posts, read 82,784 times
Quote:
Have you ridden transit on other major metro systems on a regular basis? I have, and I can tell you that a lack of "inertia" and "cronyism" has not been unique to SEPTA. I'm not making this up: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...0aa_story.html

Once again, this same old song and dance about all-things-SEPTA being so uniquely terrible gets tiring. Get out and live in other cities, folks. It's not all roses and ponies elsewhere, as a "grass is always greener" mentality would have you believe.
I've lived in other cities and been dependent on public transportation in them. I don't think SEPTA is "uniquely terrible" but they do have problems, they do seem stuck in the past, and they don't stack up well to some other cities.

Old 10-01-2015, 07:36 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,229,381 times
Quote:

I've only seen SEPTA being run by Joe Casey, and it never seemed poorly run, although there was/is plenty in poor shape. People find reasons to gripe about public transit everywhere - it's definitely nothing specific to Philadelphia. My complaints in this thread - perhaps the only complaint I ever had about SEPTA service (although there are other things I'm suspicious of - such as the amount in their proposed capital budget that they plan for car storage as opposed to improved service, as if an important mission of theirs is providing discount parking).

Minneapolis' Metro Transit, the only other city I've lived as a carless adult, compares pretty neutrally with SEPTA. I am a rail fan, so SEPTA gets a lot of points for having a large rail system, suburban Twin Cities are served by express buses (which do seem to be fairly popular, and get to use the shoulders of the highways to bypass traffic). But when I moved to Minneapolis, Metro Transit was but a bus network based on the old (and great) streetcar system - and since then they've planned a bunch of light rails, built two of them, started a commuter rail line with more in the works, are implementint BRT lines. Most excitingly the city of Minneapolis is starting to come around to embracing public transit in a way that hasn't happened here - the doing away of parking requirements well outside of downtown if the development is properly served by transit.

It's been exciting to watch it grow and change - and with SEPTA's newfound funding, perhaps the same will be able to be said about here.

As for everyday riding it was probably just as easy, interesting, frustrating, or whatever you can come up with to be transit dependent in both places. When things aren't working out for you, and it's completely out of your control, you can either get angry or read a book/listen to a podcast/take a nap. I've gotten a lot better with the latter over the years.

A good general rule is that whatever transit system you have to live with is the one that's uniquely terrible - and grand narratives like inertia and cronyism without specifics aren't very constructive. SEPTA has a pretty responsive customer service team - and they send supervisors out to investigate complaints if you give them specific information about specific vehicles or crew people. If there are actual complaints, people should get in touch with them.

The pope plan was still silly though - now that it's over, I'm glad I'll have the memories, and the example to use in case anywhere else I ever live proposes a stationless railroad, even if only for a couple of days.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:52 PM

7,273 posts, read 10,619,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I've lived in other cities and been dependent on public transportation in them. I don't think SEPTA is "uniquely terrible" but they do have problems, they do seem stuck in the past, and they don't stack up well to some other cities.
Then it may come as a surprise to you that SEPTA has been named by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) recognized SEPTA as the best large transit agency in the US in recent years: How Philadelphia's Transit System Became the Best. Of course, as the article indicates, this has occurred over time.

I think we need to acknowledge that there is a difference between frustrations with lack of service or old infrastructure, versus behind the scenes administration. And the latter, which the general public often takes for granted, is much better than I think many people realize.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:40 PM

82 posts, read 82,784 times
Quote:
Then it may come as a surprise to you that SEPTA has been named by the American Public Transportation Association (APTA) recognized SEPTA as the best large transit agency in the US in recent years: How Philadelphia's Transit System Became the Best. Of course, as the article indicates, this has occurred over time.

I think we need to acknowledge that there is a difference between frustrations with lack of service or old infrastructure, versus behind the scenes administration. And the latter, which the general public often takes for granted, is much better than I think many people realize.
I've heard that before so it's not surprising to me, but it certainly does make me curious how anyone would come to that conclusion.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:55 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,658,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janszoon View Post
I've heard that before so it's not surprising to me, but it certainly does make me curious how anyone would come to that conclusion.
It's an achievement award they give to a different place every year. It's not one of those ranking lists. The year before SEPTA got it, the Santa Monica 'Big Blue Bus' system got it.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:01 AM

743 posts, read 767,527 times
I thank God every day that I don't have to sit amongst SEPTA riders.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:48 AM

744 posts, read 777,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
I thank God every day that I don't have to sit amongst SEPTA riders.
And we are glad we don't have to sit next to you. Win/win I suppose.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:13 PM

743 posts, read 767,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KansastoSouthphilly View Post
And we are glad we don't have to sit next to you. Win/win I suppose.
So you're against polite people who bathe, brush their teeth and don't talk to themselves? Masochist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia