Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 02:43 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times

Advertisements

Some advice: don't move here. I am moving out as soon as possible. Let the anti-social problem people inherit the city.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:29 AM

9 posts, read 23,145 times
Default I love your honest post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
I know, it is so weird. For a big city with all the potential in the world, if the people were diff., sophiscation is lacking. I was amazed how a city with an Ivy League Uni like Penn, and art museums of world class, and awesome restaurants---how filthy the city is, the parks with trash in them, people (of all races) throwing trash on the streets, old women walking down the street in Center City(i live down here I know) cursing like thugs and spitting in public like this is Dickensonian England.

I was so amazed when i first moved here(only because my wife was living and working here)how the north philly area looked from the train--like Beirut and all the Dem politicians have done nothing about it. How One party is so entrenched for 50 + years, you would think people would wake up and say,"Lets try something different for a change", where Private corporation has to take over the public schools and we still lose millions of dollars and the education of the children is getting moral abysmal.

What am I missing? I know other cities have major problems, I am not oblivious to it as my neigbhors seem to be--but gosh, dont people see how overtaxing, lack of affordable housing for middle class, lack of city planning and land use, lack of civic responsibility and accountability and the Crime and filth of the city made us a scourge?

I live here and if it were run better maybe would stay but the people seem content with mediocrity or worse.
I've been feeling this way for months as well. The final kicker was the last mayoral election when the discovery of bugs in City Hall actually increased the support for the Mayor. Unbelievable. This city will never, ever improve because of the deeply entrenched City Hall corruption. It had it's one chance when Katz ran but I am afraid that it will never elect a reformer. A few hip and trendy neighborhoods with over priced bars, restaurants and stores is not enough to sustain a city. It's about the population demanding more from itself and government and Philadelphians never do. Christ, if they can't even throw their own trash into a can how can we expect them to do that to disgraced and corrupt leadership. No, instead they are celebrated. I'm outta here in three years and think about it everyday.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:01 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
same here, outta here in 3 years when the kid gets school age--back home to Charleston, Charlotte or Austin.

It is sad that not only is the gov so corrupt(if it were the federal govt people would be marching in the streets, butthey do nothing at the corruption in the city and just bury their heads) but the lack of passion for change

Old 02-05-2007, 05:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
ahh 2 good stories, yesterday in the city of Brotherly Shove!! A Penn Law Student attacks two foreign students from Drexel University with a Glock and shooting into their apartment in West Philly NOT IN THE BAD AREA but around the great Ivy league institution!!

Can someone say, WAKE UP!!!!????

2nd, we have elections for Mayor coming up and a cast of characters that look like a Million man march.

We had a chance with Sam Katz and flushed it to keep it Chocolate

The Penn student was foreign as well(korean), not to mention psychotic.Bottom line we went nuts, these sort of things tend to happen in every city in the country.Unfortunately it was in Philadlephia on this day.

What a blatantly racist comment referring to Philadlephia as being a chocolate city.?????

Old 02-05-2007, 05:41 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times
i know, the Mayor saying the city belongs to the brothas now, was a sad day

Old 02-06-2007, 09:20 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,728,669 times
Stay on topic or the thread will be closed. Stop racist comments.
Please.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:11 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yac View Post
Stay on topic or the thread will be closed. Stop racist comments.
Please.
The mayor did make that comment about the brothers and sisters running the city. That's not just a racist comment on the part of a poster. It was a very polarizing remark for Mayor Street to make:

Quote:
It was April 2002, and John Street had just made one of the more bizarre speeches of his tenure as mayor. Before 700 people gathered for the NAACP’s Northeast regional training conference at the Convention Center Marriott, Street rambled on for 25 minutes. He boasted about fixing schools and neighborhoods; he bragged about the opportunities he’d given to African-Americans — how he’d hired a black police commissioner, a black fire commissioner, a black finance director, a black treasurer. “The brothers and sisters are running the city,” he said. “Running it! Don’t you let nobody fool you, we are in charge of the City of Brotherly Love.”
http://www.phillymag.com/articles/th..._of_corey_kemp

Old 02-06-2007, 06:28 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack
2nd, we have elections for Mayor coming up and a cast of characters that look like a Million Man March

We had a chance with Sam Katz and flushed it to keep it Chocolate
I believe this is what Yac is referring to, and Yac is absolutely correct. There is no place for this type of behavior on city-data forum. This forum was meant to help people not evangelize their racist views.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:43 PM

39 posts, read 141,992 times
Exclamation YAC I started this Tread Please Close it

YAC I started this Thread Please Close it

This person Rainrock was banned for their harassing, rude arrogant Problematic Posts. Then why is this person aloud once again on the city-data forum

YES RAINROCK There is no place for this type of behavior on city-data forum
your behavior

YAC I started this Thread Please Close it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
I believe this is what Yac is referring to, and Yac is absolutely correct. There is no place for this type of behavior on city-data forum. This forum was meant to help people not evangelize their racist views.

Quote:
The Penn student was foreign as well( korean), not to mention psychotic.Bottom line we went nuts, these sort of things tend to happen in every city in the country.Unfortunately it was in Philadlephia on this day.

What a blatantly racist comment referring to Philadlephia as being a chocolate city.?????

Quote:
You need to go live in Salt Lake City or Portland. Bottom line, You are in the wrong place and are never going to be happy on the east coast. There is going to be crime in the big cities of the east, that is our fate. 50 years ago, with the mass migration of the poor minorities settleing into the big cities the futures of Philadelphia,Bal,NYC,wash were sealed.

The only city that withstood the poor was Boston but if you are bitching about the high cost of living in Manayunk you certainly wouldn't be able to cut it in Boston.

In short instaed of bitching about all the problems Philadelphia has, either get off your duff and try to improve your neighborhood, or move.

Be a leader or be a follower. Don't be a malingerer.
Quote:
Guys, for the last time, You chose to live in Philadlephia. No one ever said or pretends to believe that this is Beverly Hills. This city has probably been hit harder by the southern integration of poor than any other city in the country. Stick a fork in it please.

For the last time there are many incredible great things that this city still has to offer. Perhaps your circumstances don't allow you to benefit from them but they do exist, take my word for it.Shut the heck up.

Last edited by PhilaForNow; 02-06-2007 at 08:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia