Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 04:06 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
Philadelphia is the largest city in the state by quite a bit, so other pennsylvanians (fairly or unfairly) tend to get judged by what Philadelphians do by those who aren't from here. Geographically within the state Philly isn't all that large, but it's fiscal and political influence IS- Pittsburgh tends to get overlooked as "that other city in pennsylvania" rather than it's own unique thing, and that vast area in the middle of the state in particular has a distinct loathing for everything in the southeast- there's some pretty deep resentment about any of their tax dollars going to fund anything to do with Philadelphia.

Philadelphians on the other hand don't think about the rest of the state at all- unless we happen to be playing the pirates, steelers, or penguins that week. We're more likely to concern ourselves with what New York or DC is doing- and rightly so because both of those municipalities are 2 to 3 times closer than pittsburgh is.
Although, you would probably be surprised to learn that only about 75% of tax payer money generated in the Philadelphia region is returned to the region. The rest goes elsewhere in the state. Nearly 0% of the rest of the states money is returned to the Philadelphia region. It's quite disgraceful actually. Taxpayers hilariously think their tax dollars are being spent in Philadelphia, but it's not.

Most people who tend to bash Philadelphia are really the ones who know nothing about the city, have never been here, or haven't been here in a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 09:40 PM

62 posts, read 97,877 times
After growing up outside the Pittsburgh area one thing that I have noticed after living outside Philly for over 2 years is that people seem to move at a faster pace and seem less trusting of others than people in the Pittsburgh area. I think it reflects in the culture of Philly being on the East Coast, and Pittsburgh (while still in Pa) is right next to the Midwest and has some aspects of Midwestern cities. Also I think that financially Pittsburgh is better off than Philadelphia, and the stats show that Philadelphia has a much higher crime rate than Pittsburgh. Then again Philadelphia is larger and has more things for people to do and has a more diverse culture than Pittsburgh. Each area has its own pros and cons, it's really up to the individual to figure out what suits them. If you like smaller cities where people seem a little more relaxed and more friendly then you might like Pittsburgh, but if you like large cities where you can feel more anonymous and move at a faster pace then you might like Philadelphia.

Old 10-30-2015, 05:51 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,920,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Hmmm some good points. I also want to add that I feel like its not just from Pittsburghers but Pennsylvanians in general. Hell the whole US!
Its very strange to me.
This may be a little off topic but recently I had some friends come into town for a party who were interested in seeing the city. I showed them the great,good, bad and the ugly. Overall they still left with a positive view of the city. I explained to them that Philly really is a city of neighborhoods that really has it all. From urban to suburban style neighborhoods, blighted to intact,noisy to quiet.
When I first moved to Philly I didn't like it. But it has changed so much from when I moved here. Overtime I got to know the personality of the city and explored its many hidden gems, and it has definitely grew on me.
Sounds like you need to think less about what people say on the internet. In reality if it's outside of hockey season, nobody in either city cares what the other city is doing. If anything I get alot more disdain in real life going to Philadelphia and telling people I'm from Pittsburgh than the other way around (GF is from Somerton/Buselton and we live in Pittsburgh).

Old 10-30-2015, 06:25 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,727,011 times
Philadelphia is a typical East Coast city, while Pittsburgh is a very midwest city. I love midwestern cities, but there tend to be some folks there (especially folks who do things like hang out on City Data all day long) who never go to the East Coast cities and buy into the stereotype that they're scary, mean, and full of crime.

Bigger cities tend to get more attention overall, which causes resentment from the smaller cities. You even see this in relationships between NYC and others -- I've seen it in both Boston and Philly, where they're always shouting about how much better they are than NYC, whereas NYC doesn't really pay much attention to them at all. Kind of like the big brother/little brother relationship referenced elsewhere in this thread. NYC'ers know in their hearts they're "better" than Bostonians and Philadelphians, and don't feel the need to shout it. Bostonians and Philadelphians have a bit of an inferiority complex in that comparison, and therefore feel the need to shout it. It's the same thing with the Pittsburgh/Philadelphia relationship.

As with the other cities, well-traveled people who are secure in their likes don't feel the need to say these sorts of things. They can appreciate the good qualities of each city and believe that theirs' is best, without having to make disparaging remarks about the others. (Really, Chicago is the best one out of all of them.)

Old 11-10-2015, 07:37 PM

12 posts, read 15,028 times
I have to say that Pittsburgh is my favorite city period. I used to dislike Philadelphia a lot, but since I have been working a lot in both cities this year, I have begun to really like Philadelphia a lot!!! I appreciate both cities and their differences!

Old 11-11-2015, 05:08 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissClutterbuck View Post
People just like to bash Philly. We don't bash back because we know better.
Hmm. That must be why I never heard the term "Pennsyltucky" until I moved to Philadelphia.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:14 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,056,173 times
People bash Philly because they are just jealous

Old 11-12-2015, 08:50 AM

633 posts, read 640,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Hmm. That must be why I never heard the term "Pennsyltucky" until I moved to Philadelphia.
Probably because you weren't paying attention. That term has been around forever, but was popularized by a statement from James Carville, a democratic strategist that isn't even from this state- he's from New Orleans.

Philadelphia had nothing to do with the term, but it's VERY common to hear the rest of the country refer to rural PA that way, especially when you're talking about politics.

edit: isn't there also a woman with crazy teeth and a jesus fetish on that netflix prison show that goes by that name? Pretty sure the author/showrunner isn't from Philadelphia either.

Old 11-12-2015, 08:55 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
Probably because you weren't paying attention. That term has been around forever, but was popularized by a statement from James Carville, a democratic strategist that isn't even from this state- he's from New Orleans.

Philadelphia had nothing to do with the term, but it's VERY common to hear the rest of the country refer to rural PA that way, especially when you're talking about politics.

edit: isn't there also a woman with crazy teeth and a jesus fetish on that netflix prison show that goes by that name? Pretty sure the author/showrunner isn't from Philadelphia either.
Netflix show is Orange Is The New Black.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:02 AM

633 posts, read 640,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Netflix show is Orange Is The New Black.
That's the one. The wife likes it, but I rarely watch TV and couldn't be bothered to google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia