Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 10:24 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,759,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
That's the one. The wife likes it, but I rarely watch TV and couldn't be bothered to google it.
Totally OT. But the best thing about it, imo, is the back stories of how the main characters ended up in fed prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 03:20 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger Fan View Post
Probably because you weren't paying attention. That term has been around forever, but was popularized by a statement from James Carville, a democratic strategist that isn't even from this state- he's from New Orleans.

Philadelphia had nothing to do with the term, but it's VERY common to hear the rest of the country refer to rural PA that way, especially when you're talking about politics.

edit: isn't there also a woman with crazy teeth and a jesus fetish on that netflix prison show that goes by that name? Pretty sure the author/showrunner isn't from Philadelphia either.
I've heard "Pennsyltucky" all over the state. Some even wear it is a badge of pride, like "redneck."

Old 03-17-2016, 07:32 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,936,716 times
I moved to Albuquerque from Philadelphia. Someone I worked with here has family in Pittsburgh and she said something like: "So I've heard about the rivalry between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh." I told her Pittsburgh might feel it has a rivalry with Philadelphia, but Pitssburgh is hardly on the radar for most people in Philadelphia. If a Pittsburgh-Philadelphia rivalry exists, it's a one-way rivalry.

No hatred toward Pittsburgh. One of my greatest regrets in life is a lost opportunity for a one night stand (we were in Harrisburg when we met) with a wonderful young woman from Tarentum.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:43 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
I moved to Albuquerque from Philadelphia. Someone I worked with here has family in Pittsburgh and she said something like: "So I've heard about the rivalry between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh." I told her Pittsburgh might feel it has a rivalry with Philadelphia, but Pitssburgh is hardly on the radar for most people in Philadelphia. If a Pittsburgh-Philadelphia rivalry exists, it's a one-way rivalry.

No hatred toward Pittsburgh. One of my greatest regrets in life is a lost opportunity for a one night stand (we were in Harrisburg when we met) with a wonderful young woman from Tarentum.
As a Pittsburgher who grew up in Eastern Pennsylvania I'd say we have a much stronger rivalry with Cleveland. We sort of acknowledge that city's presence while Clevelanders seem to hate our guts.

Old 03-17-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
As a Pittsburgher who grew up in Eastern Pennsylvania I'd say we have a much stronger rivalry with Cleveland. We sort of acknowledge that city's presence while Clevelanders seem to hate our guts.
Interesting. I work with a couple people with Cleveland connections. I'll have to see if they've heard of such a thing. It makes more sense at least in terms of geography and being in the same region, if you accept that Pittsburgh is basically Midwestern, which is how I see it, but I am not very familiar with it. Actually, the Pittsburgh accent sounds like a very refined Southern accent to me, at least on some people I've met from there. I like it, actually. But maybe there are more varieties of Pittsburgh accent than I think. Certainly some Philadelphia accents are more. . . extreme. . . than others.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:44 PM

12 posts, read 15,019 times
I have since, moved to Philadelphia and like every city it has challenges, but I really believe that the city is better than most 'outsiders' realize. For a city of 1.6 million, it's a good city for it's size considering that only NYC is larger than it on the East Coast!

Old 03-17-2016, 11:31 PM

236 posts, read 251,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
I've always been interested in Pittsburgh. I always thought it to be a medium sized, beautiful city with great neighborhoods and a city that held down the backwards state of PA along with Philly. Lately Ive been thinking of taking a trip across PA so I thought why not take a look at some of the threads in the Pittsburgh forum so that I can get some ideas of what I would like to do when I visit.
I click on a few threads..fine learned some things. Then I come across a thread comparing Pittsburgh to Philly. Out of curiousity, I click on it to read some of the comments. Lo and behold I read a lot of uninformed comments and some pretty nasty ones. I was shocked. I do admit that I am basing this post off of what I read in this forum. It just has me thinking......
Most times when I hear someone from Philly talk about Pittsburgh, its always been in a positive light (with reference to it being smaller but that is it-again this is from my experience). But it seems to be quite the opposite with their view.
Does anyone else notice this or is it just me? IF so, what do you think could be the reason for it? Please let this be a mature discussion, I would hate for it to become a closed thread.
I lived in both cities, one after the other, and loved both for different reasons. But I witnessed way more vitriol from Philly residents towards Pittsburgh than the other way around. Perhaps it was the culture where I worked, or the attitudes of my particular neighborhood. Perhaps it was the superbowls the steelers won during those years, and jealousy amongs Sports fans for what Philly fans crave. I don't know. I just know you can't generalize from a board like this. And I, and others, probably can't generalize from our limited experiences either. Just like any two cities, they are different and people who've never lived in the other city won't ever fully understand the other one.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:44 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,919,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilee View Post
I lived in both cities, one after the other, and loved both for different reasons. But I witnessed way more vitriol from Philly residents towards Pittsburgh than the other way around. Perhaps it was the culture where I worked, or the attitudes of my particular neighborhood. Perhaps it was the superbowls the steelers won during those years, and jealousy amongs Sports fans for what Philly fans crave. I don't know. I just know you can't generalize from a board like this. And I, and others, probably can't generalize from our limited experiences either. Just like any two cities, they are different and people who've never lived in the other city won't ever fully understand the other one.
Couldn't agree more. Id have to say it's nearly 100% based on sports jealously, and nothing else.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:47 AM

33 posts, read 28,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Hmmm some good points. I also want to add that I feel like its not just from Pittsburghers but Pennsylvanians in general. Hell the whole US!
Its very strange to me.
This may be a little off topic but recently I had some friends come into town for a party who were interested in seeing the city. I showed them the great,good, bad and the ugly. Overall they still left with a positive view of the city. I explained to them that Philly really is a city of neighborhoods that really has it all. From urban to suburban style neighborhoods, blighted to intact,noisy to quiet.
When I first moved to Philly I didn't like it. But it has changed so much from when I moved here. Overtime I got to know the personality of the city and explored its many hidden gems, and it has definitely grew on me.

Our relatives and friends from other parts of the country that visited or had to lived hear temporarily for the military, loves Philly.

Old 03-18-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilee View Post
I lived in both cities, one after the other, and loved both for different reasons. But I witnessed way more vitriol from Philly residents towards Pittsburgh than the other way around. Perhaps it was the culture where I worked, or the attitudes of my particular neighborhood. Perhaps it was the superbowls the steelers won during those years, and jealousy amongs Sports fans for what Philly fans crave. I don't know. I just know you can't generalize from a board like this. And I, and others, probably can't generalize from our limited experiences either.
This makes sense. I could see a sports rivalry between the two cities. I try to ignore sports talk as much as possible, so I might simply have filtered it out. I still don't remember my sports-obsessed family, especially on my mother's side (with her Kensington working class roots), ever having anything hostile to say about Pittsburgh as such, but that's a very small sample size! (Still, the same thing has been true wherever I've worked, though the sports obsessiveness was not universal in the places I worked in Philadelphia. It might have been well below the norm.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia