Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2015, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,725 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My fiancee and I are moving to Manayunk, but I work down in the University City area. I usually have to be at work by 5am, but I will not have access to a car, and wondered what my commuting options are, if any. It seems that the train won't have started running at that time of day.

Theoretically, if I could shift my hours to start later, what kind of train commute am I looking at, and would that be my best option?

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2015, 02:28 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
The earliest train you could take is at 6:10am getting to UCity at 6:41am
SEPTA | Manayunk/Norristown Line Regional Rail Schedule | Weekday | to Center City Philadelphia

Old 12-05-2015, 07:38 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,091 times
That Manayunk/Roxborough section of Philadelphia is one of the rougher sections for odd commuting times. It goes along with some parts of the NE that lack 24 hour transit service - which really bites because SEPTA seems to pretty slow to start up their non-24 hour routes for a city with a relatively high transit dependency.

The first 9 bus, which runs through Roxborough and stops at Wissahickon Transportation Center - just outside of Manayunk - is supposed to get to 30th Street Station at 5:17 AM. On top of that, in winter weather those buses face all types of challenges and suspensions. Weekends are significantly later too.

The closest thing this section of the city has to 24 hour transit service is the R Bus - which could take you from Wissahickon Transportation Center to Broad and Hunting Park 24 hours per day, where you can catch the BSL to City Hall and transfer to the MFL or a trolley. It's a pretty out of the way way to go though, even if you're luck enough to be close to Wissahickon Transportation Center.

Old 12-06-2015, 04:55 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,607,661 times
Just out of curiosity, why would you move somewhere where you have an impossible commute without access to a car?

Old 12-06-2015, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 2,725 times
Because we're saving over $750 per month in rent compared to our current apartment, and the new place is ideal for our 2 dogs. Based on that, we'd still be saving money even if I had to lease another car and pay for parking in U city.

Thank you for such a helpful reply Miss Clutterbuck. Just out of curiosity, why would you post a reply with nothing productive to say? Are we friends, and I'm simply not aware, so you were just interested in my life? Thanks again, from the bottom of my heart.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:01 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,526,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanthedman View Post
Because we're saving over $750 per month in rent compared to our current apartment, and the new place is ideal for our 2 dogs. Based on that, we'd still be saving money even if I had to lease another car and pay for parking in U city.

Thank you for such a helpful reply Miss Clutterbuck. Just out of curiosity, why would you post a reply with nothing productive to say? Are we friends, and I'm simply not aware, so you were just interested in my life? Thanks again, from the bottom of my heart.
Just because you didn't like her response, doesn't make it any less valid. Commuting via public transit from Manayunk to UCity to be at work by 5am is next to impossible. You're better off getting a car.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:41 AM

840 posts, read 693,286 times
I'm sorry but I totally have to agree with the original poster I'm not sure why that question would be posed as to why you would move there this site is for assistance and advice not for contradiction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia