Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 09:33 AM

36 posts, read 112,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I drew over the map of Delaware County. Below the red line is Delco, above is not. The further South you go from the line, the more Delco it gets. Some towns are actually split, most notably Boothwyn, as you get close to the Garnet Valley border the township is a lot different than the southern half, same with Brookhaven toward Middletown and Aston.
Generally speaking I think your map is a pretty good representation... there are definitely things on the other side of the line that are definitely "Delco" though... Havertown and more of Springfield should be included, Barnaby's Havertown not to mention the rest through WC Pike definitely puts off some Delco vibes, plus the Springfield Mall and a lot of Baltimore Pike... then you definitely have Delco on the other side of the line at DCCC and Penn State Delco.. if Granite Run was still open that'd be another enclave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 09:50 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dab13 View Post
Generally speaking I think your map is a pretty good representation... there are definitely things on the other side of the line that are definitely "Delco" though... Havertown and more of Springfield should be included, Barnaby's Havertown not to mention the rest through WC Pike definitely puts off some Delco vibes, plus the Springfield Mall and a lot of Baltimore Pike... then you definitely have Delco on the other side of the line at DCCC and Penn State Delco.. if Granite Run was still open that'd be another enclave.
I wouldn't consider DCCC to be Delco at all. That campus borders some of the most well to do neighborhoods in Newtown Square and Upper Providence, far from my version of Delco.

Penn State not really either, as you get out toward Glen Mills and Edgemont its the same story as Newtown Square and Upper Providence, wooded streets with large private homes.

Baltimore Pike once you get past the Springfield Mall is no longer Delco, especially once you hit Chester Heights/Garnet Valley.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:22 AM

743 posts, read 765,908 times
Isn't "Mr. Blue Collar Philadelphia Eagle" Vince Papale actually from Delaware County? I think because of the Italian last name, a lot of people think he's from South Philly. Anybody know for sure?

Old 03-25-2016, 01:30 PM

36 posts, read 112,942 times
Quote:
I wouldn't consider DCCC to be Delco at all. That campus borders some of the most well to do neighborhoods in Newtown Square and Upper Providence, far from my version of Delco.

Penn State not really either, as you get out toward Glen Mills and Edgemont its the same story as Newtown Square and Upper Providence, wooded streets with large private homes.

Baltimore Pike once you get past the Springfield Mall is no longer Delco, especially once you hit Chester Heights/Garnet Valley.

That's why I referred to them as enclaves.... the students and by extension the campuses are very much "Delco"

As for the Springfield Mall, it's essentially at the end of Springfield so if that's your boundary pretty much all of Springfield has some degree of Delco, although obviously its more diluted than other areas in the county...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steinish View Post
Isn't "Mr. Blue Collar Philadelphia Eagle" Vince Papale actually from Delaware County? I think because of the Italian last name, a lot of people think he's from South Philly. Anybody know for sure?

I think he's an Interboro alumni, so yes.

Old 03-25-2016, 01:52 PM

312 posts, read 268,195 times
Do people consider Radnor part of Delco? I know it is in Delco. But is it considered true Delco?

Old 03-25-2016, 01:58 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
Do people consider Radnor part of Delco? I know it is in Delco. But is it considered true Delco?
In my experiences, not really. I would say the least "Delco" of any area in the county would be Chadds Fords/Thornbury/Glen Mills area.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:36 PM

54 posts, read 86,836 times
Most of radnor does not have the delco look. Alot of the township seems heavily wooded with big houses which is much different than delco. I think haverford township has looks like the rest of delco though. Not sure about the people.

Old 03-25-2016, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dab13 View Post

I think he's an Interboro alumni, so yes.
Yeah, I just watched the movie and they mentioned him being from South Philly four times. Hollywood ... sheesh. Good story, good movie either way.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:51 PM

Quote:
In my experiences, not really. I would say the least "Delco" of any area in the county would be Chadds Fords/Thornbury/Glen Mills area.
Do solid middle class African-American families gravitate towards Thornbury?

Old 03-26-2016, 06:27 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdiKony View Post
Most of radnor does not have the delco look. Alot of the township seems heavily wooded with big houses which is much different than delco. I think haverford township has looks like the rest of delco though. Not sure about the people.
Since some of Haverford Twp is on the Main Line those parts(sections of Wynnewood, Ardmore, Haverford and Bryn Mawr) don't look so Delco. But most of Havertown is absolutely Delco.... look, feel, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia