Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 07:36 AM

19 posts, read 24,977 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I've been planning to move from Orlando, Florida to NE Philadelphia for about 10 years now. (Or had a thought to)

I'm 27 and live with my mother and grandmother here in Orlando. I have been here since 2 years old.
We will be moving to Bensalem, PA which is close to NJ and about 1.5 hours to NY on a Train.

My biggest concern is that I will not like it. Can anyone enlighten me about the social scene, young professional community, sight seeing, perks of living in Philly? I have cousins my age and many family members there so I am not going blindly since I have visited and love the fact that in 1.5 hours I can be in NY.

In addition, I want my mother to enjoy family and other social events, and I am told there are more perks for elderly such as "day care" and doctors that can communicate with grandmother (Russian language).

So, overall I see many PRO's, but I am afraid of the Cons of higher taxes, expenses, SNOW, lack of employment since I am the only one who works (I am a legal assistant).

Any information and insight would be greatly appreciated, I either make this change now while I can or just stay in Orlando.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 06:54 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuskieKukla View Post
Hi there, I've been planning to move from Orlando, Florida to NE Philadelphia for about 10 years now. (Or had a thought to)

I'm 27 and live with my mother and grandmother here in Orlando. I have been here since 2 years old.
We will be moving to Bensalem, PA which is close to NJ and about 1.5 hours to NY on a Train.

My biggest concern is that I will not like it. Can anyone enlighten me about the social scene, young professional community, sight seeing, perks of living in Philly? I have cousins my age and many family members there so I am not going blindly since I have visited and love the fact that in 1.5 hours I can be in NY.

In addition, I want my mother to enjoy family and other social events, and I am told there are more perks for elderly such as "day care" and doctors that can communicate with grandmother (Russian language).

So, overall I see many PRO's, but I am afraid of the Cons of higher taxes, expenses, SNOW, lack of employment since I am the only one who works (I am a legal assistant).

Any information and insight would be greatly appreciated, I either make this change now while I can or just stay in Orlando.

Thank you!
I fully understand the draw of wanting to be near your family, but being in Bensalem will put you pretty far away from where lots of millennials, like you, tend to congregate in Philly.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:12 AM

236 posts, read 251,143 times
There is a decent size Russian population in northeast philly, as I recall, and certainly excellent medical resources for your mom and grandmother. PA is also a good place for the aged, in my opinion, with fairly robust social and medical day programs as well as subsidized prescription programs (for some people). I don't know what is available in FL so I can't compare.

But the question is will you be happy there, and I think it depends what you are looking for in a place to live, which you haven't shared. You should have no trouble getting work in your field, but you may have to commute to center city. You will probably want to, as that is the social hub.

Is it your mom and grandmother who want to move, and they are trying to convince you?

Old 02-04-2016, 07:18 AM

While Orlando does provide a nice social atmosphere, I have been here so long that I do not enjoy the local bars or Ale Houses. They don't show any character or entertainment. So, I stick to working and hitting the gym which gets old too. But, I am mainly moving (and persuading my mother) because nothing has changed in the last 10 years for us and maybe a change of scenery, climate, entertainment might do me some good.

In all honesty, I am a 27 year old single woman, it would be nice to meet someone and explore the city and surrounding areas.

Old 02-04-2016, 07:42 AM

236 posts, read 251,143 times
Do you all have to move? Maybe you should try it out on your own and make sure you like it first?

Old 02-04-2016, 07:46 AM

No I do not have to move, I have friends in Orlando, my own car, live in a nice house. But, I'm kind of a package deal with my mom because we "help" each other financially and just in general. I want my mother to enjoy something different also, so as a unit we found a place actually and it will be built in July 2016. I just know when you have money you can fix almost any stupid move you make, literally. But, I guess it is a leap of faith. I have family in both Philly and in New York it would be nice to see some history, culture. Here in Orlando there's a gas station or CVS on every corner.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:56 PM

32,923 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Your heating bills are going to be enormous because your mother and grandmother will never feel warm from fall through spring. I moved from the NE when I was in my twenties, and moved back in my late thirties. I was young enough to adapt. It still took a couple of years to get used to the cold again.

Old 02-05-2016, 05:09 PM

82 posts, read 95,248 times
Trying to do the reverse.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:49 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,314,129 times
We moved to the Philadelphia metro from Georgia. We only have positive things to say about our decision to relocate here. For us, snow is not a deal breaker (and we had no prior snow experience). Once you are here, and know what to do and not to, I think you will figure it out. Plus snow can actually be some fun at least for the young or young at heart - with fun, free activities like sledding on simple to sometimes steep slopes. Also, people here know what to wear (jackets, gloves, ear muffs, ...) during winter.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:49 AM

Thank you for your response. I have moments where I am excited about the possibilities and other times where maybe I think the grass is greener on the other side but isn't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia