Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 06:41 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times

Advertisements

Where do I see Philly 20 years from now?

I see a huge surge in population ... over 2.25 million people living here - posing a threat to Houston as the 4th most populous city in the US (because everyone is driving electric cars now and Houston's oil industry has gone bust). Pennsylvania as a state has overtaken Illinois in population and is in 5th place. I see at least 4 or 5 new "super-tall" (over 1,000 feet in height) skyscrapers completed here, making Philly's skyline third only to NYC and Chicago. I see large regions of northeast Philly being revitalized and gentrified - places like Mayfair, Tacony, and Bridesburg are fashionable residential neighborhoods the way Northern Liberties and University City are now.

Well I can dream can't I?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 08:37 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,349,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

I see a huge surge in population ... over 2.25 million people living here - posing a threat to Houston as the 4th most populous city in the US (because everyone is driving electric cars now and Houston's oil industry has gone bust). Pennsylvania as a state has overtaken Illinois in population and is in 5th place. I see at least 4 or 5 new "super-tall" (over 1,000 feet in height) skyscrapers completed here, making Philly's skyline third only to NYC and Chicago. I see large regions of northeast Philly being revitalized and gentrified - places like Mayfair, Tacony, and Bridesburg are fashionable residential neighborhoods the way Northern Liberties and University City are now.

What a dream. I think PA will overtake IL in population though.

Old 05-18-2016, 03:19 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,459,497 times
Quote:

Bridesburg is part of the River Wards, not NE Philly.

Old 05-18-2016, 09:44 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:

Yeah, dream on... although, being a native, I like your dream.

However I simply do not see that kind of surge in population. You're suggesting that it could be as large(or larger) than it was 60 years ago. But without the jobs materializing, no, it won't happen.

I could see Philly maybe getting to 1.8 million. That's a stretch too without the jobs.

Old 05-24-2016, 06:43 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,331,437 times
This is of course would happen right after the Eagles win the Superbowl and the 76's win the NBA Championship and the Phillies win the World Series in the same year or there about! Either way it is all fine with me but what's going on in NY or DC while all this gold is dropping down to Philly?

Rizzo's head of HUD and who is president again??? Tomey.. right!

That's about the only way that this would come about and the federal indictments would have to be chasing them right up to inauguration day! Oh well.

Old 05-25-2016, 11:43 AM

7,271 posts, read 10,607,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yeah, dream on... although, being a native, I like your dream.

However I simply do not see that kind of surge in population. You're suggesting that it could be as large(or larger) than it was 60 years ago. But without the jobs materializing, no, it won't happen.

I could see Philly maybe getting to 1.8 million. That's a stretch too without the jobs.
Agree that economic factors are crucial, but I think we're all under-estimating other factors like climate change that will cause a need, or at least a strong desire, to shift living patterns pretty substantially in the next 20-50 years. Severe flooding, drought, hurricanes, earthquakes--none of us can predict how bad these things may become in much of the world, but the trajectory is not looking good.

Income inequality also shows no signs of stopping, and the imbalance in the income to cost-of-living ratio I suspect will create more and more "refugees" from metros in the coastal Northeast and the West Coast.

Not that Philly is immune to all of this, nor do I at all desire any city's demise, but Philly, being as stable as it is, appears to be fairly buffered by a lot of potentially dooming scenarios compared to many other cities/metro areas and thus a very good long-term bet for growth.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:44 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,767,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Agree that economic factors are crucial, but I think we're all under-estimating other factors like climate change that will cause a need, or at least a strong desire, to shift living patterns pretty substantially in the next 20-50 years. Severe flooding, drought, hurricanes, earthquakes--none of us can predict how bad these things may become in much of the world, but the trajectory is not looking good.

Income inequality also shows no signs of stopping, and the imbalance in the income to cost-of-living ratio I suspect will create more and more "refugees" from metros in the coastal Northeast and the West Coast.

Not that Philly is immune to all of this, nor do I at all desire any city's demise, but Philly, being as stable as it is, appears to be fairly buffered by a lot of potentially dooming scenarios compared to many other cities/metro areas and thus a very good long-term bet for growth.
Some of the predictions I've read indicated that rising sea levels will impact Phila. river and creek systems enough that portions of Center City, S. Philly or Kelly Drive could be under water. But I don't think Phila. will face what Miami will.

Old 05-26-2016, 04:26 PM

617 posts, read 539,120 times
Phila will become even more dirty and dangerous, newer generations will be wanting more but willing to do much less, and diversity will eventually force all decent people to leave to burbs.
Basically Phila will become a giant jail, but with a lot of diversity.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:01 PM

283 posts, read 464,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Some of the predictions I've read indicated that rising sea levels will impact Phila. river and creek systems enough that portions of Center City, S. Philly or Kelly Drive could be under water. But I don't think Phila. will face what Miami will.
I've actually read the opposite, that Philly is actually pretty well situated for rising sea levels. At the very least, it will be easier and cheaper for us to mitigate the effects as compared to Miami, NYC, Boston, and Baltimore.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:08 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civis View Post
Phila will become even more dirty and dangerous, newer generations will be wanting more but willing to do much less, and diversity will eventually force all decent people to leave to burbs.
Basically Phila will become a giant jail, but with a lot of diversity.
nah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia