Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2016, 10:30 AM

2 posts, read 2,406 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am moving from Los Angeles (Hermosa Beach to be exact) to the Philadelphia suburb to be with my boyfriend who currently lives in West Chester. We are both 31, professionals and would like to live in an area with like minded people and things to do close to where we are living (restaurants, bars, events, gyms). I have currently been spending a lot of time in west chester and have realized it is either college kids or older families in the area (not anyone close to us in age), and it is also too far from downtown philly with no easy transit. Also things are too far away from each other and require a significant amount of driving. I am expecting this to be a huge transition for me as I am currently living in a young beach town with everything walking or biking distance, and I would like to find a place with a cute and lively downtown area with people more our age and easier access to downtown philly. I currently do not have a specific location for my employment (as i am working from home currently) but my boyfriend works in malvern and we would like to keep it within 30 min transit to his work. He also plays morning hockey 2 days a week in west chester. I read about areas such as chestnut hill but this maybe slightly too far for my boyfriends commute to malvern daily. Looking for any suggestions?

When are you moving? early 2017
Where are you coming from? Hermosa Beach, Ca (los angeles)
Why are you moving? boyfriend
Where will you be working? not sure, but BF works in malvern
Have you been here yet? yes

Will you buy or rent? rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? house or townhouse with small yard as he has a medium sized dog. about 2000$max for minimum 2 bed 2 bath.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? doesnt matter

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA suburb within 30 min to malvern
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, no kids
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets? dog
Do you want or need a yard? preferably
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? inbetween, walkable or short drive to bustling activity

What do you want to be closest to?
Work (30 min of malvern)
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife/restaurants
Train or subway stations to downtown

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? similar in AGE (late 20s to 30s), and education/ professions (college and graduate school grads)

Coke or Pepsi?diet coke
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 04:01 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,779,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicat85 View Post
Hi,
I am moving from Los Angeles (Hermosa Beach to be exact) to the Philadelphia suburb to be with my boyfriend who currently lives in West Chester. We are both 31, professionals and would like to live in an area with like minded people and things to do close to where we are living (restaurants, bars, events, gyms). I have currently been spending a lot of time in west chester and have realized it is either college kids or older families in the area (not anyone close to us in age), and it is also too far from downtown philly with no easy transit. Also things are too far away from each other and require a significant amount of driving. I am expecting this to be a huge transition for me as I am currently living in a young beach town with everything walking or biking distance, and I would like to find a place with a cute and lively downtown area with people more our age and easier access to downtown philly. I currently do not have a specific location for my employment (as i am working from home currently) but my boyfriend works in malvern and we would like to keep it within 30 min transit to his work. He also plays morning hockey 2 days a week in west chester. I read about areas such as chestnut hill but this maybe slightly too far for my boyfriends commute to malvern daily. Looking for any suggestions?

When are you moving? early 2017
Where are you coming from? Hermosa Beach, Ca (los angeles)
Why are you moving? boyfriend
Where will you be working? not sure, but BF works in malvern
Have you been here yet? yes

Will you buy or rent? rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? house or townhouse with small yard as he has a medium sized dog. about 2000$max for minimum 2 bed 2 bath.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? doesnt matter

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? PA suburb within 30 min to malvern
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, no kids
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Do you have pets? dog
Do you want or need a yard? preferably
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? inbetween, walkable or short drive to bustling activity

What do you want to be closest to?
Work (30 min of malvern)
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife/restaurants
Train or subway stations to downtown

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? similar in AGE (late 20s to 30s), and education/ professions (college and graduate school grads)

Coke or Pepsi?diet coke
Media, which like West Chester is a county seat, might suit you. It has a walkable downtown, pretty good restaurants and is closer to Center City Phila. than West Chester. Plus it's easier to reach downtown Philly from Media via public transportation.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:56 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,229,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Media, which like West Chester is a county seat, might suit you. It has a walkable downtown, pretty good restaurants and is closer to Center City Phila. than West Chester. Plus it's easier to reach downtown Philly from Media via public transportation.
Media is nice town but its basically West Chester without the college students. Its a quiet family town with a pretty good weekend scene. Newer apartments are scarce to non-existent

I was just out at the new town center in King of Prussia and I might recommend that for 30's professional. Looks very nice and I believe there will be like 1,000 new apts/townhouses in this project when all is said and done.

Its not completely finished yet but should be by next year.

Look into Village at Valley Forge Indigo 301.

Old 10-12-2016, 06:38 AM

9,388 posts, read 9,370,803 times
There will be a large amount of apartments entering the market within the next 12-18 months in Media (thanks to developers realizing the urban potential), however not soon enough for this couple to move.

Media and West Chester are pretty much the two main options. But as others said you can go from Media to Philadelphia in 30 minutes when you want a livelier time in the city. West Chester is a good bit further out and can be a little too young on your average Friday/Saturday night.

Also, Phoenixville, Conshohocken, and King of Prussia.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:52 AM

72 posts, read 127,651 times
This is a hard one. I've lived in Center City, Chestnut Hill, Media, and Malvern.

I'd tell you to rule Chestnut Hill out. The drive from Chestnut Hill to Malvern is easily 45 min in traffic and Chestnut Hill is not exactly a cool young place. Its a lot of old money families and older people (huge generalization of course but still...). Having spent a good amount of time in California I really can't think of a place more opposite. Its going to feel stuffy. I lived in nearby Mt Airy and it was a great place to be a young family and much more liberal. The commute to Malvern would only be worse though.

If your bf is ok with a 45-60 minute commute I'd vote for Center City bc I think it will be the vibe closest to what you are looking for a young couple without kids looking for walkability and things to do. However, its one heck of a commute on 76. The train would be a lot faster of bf worked close to the station in Malvern. That trip to West Chester would be another long ride.

Between Malvern and Media its a bit of a toss up on what your priorities are. Media is more liberal, closer to CC and has more going on in its downtown. Malvern is growing but its not at the same level of walkability as Media. Having lived in both areas, it definitely leans older and more conservative. Of course the commute for your bf would be a breeze, but when I was in your place in life I'd 100% rather be in Media. Assuming you know Malvern since bf is there now but check out Media.

Old 10-20-2016, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,406 times
thanks for the responses, will definitely check out media and prob king of prussia/conshohocken! Those sounds like our best bet

Old 10-25-2016, 12:23 AM

5,592 posts, read 8,420,212 times
What about Wayne? I know it has a nice little downtown area with some cool restaurants and shops, and wouldn't be far from Malvern plus you can take the train to CC. I think there are a lot of young professionals who live on that Rt. 30 Main Line corridor. I lived in Berwyn for a time and thought living on the Main Line was great -- nice people, safe, and easy commute to the city or anywhere.

Old 12-17-2016, 10:29 AM

72 posts, read 70,160 times
question to the OP:

What have you ended up doing? As I am looking for a similar thing. Yet, I have a young family. 3yrs old daughter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia