Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:00 AM

51 posts, read 99,395 times

Advertisements

I've been observing for a minute and i think you should be more truthful when people ask for advices about Philly.Here is my stance on whats safe and whats not based on my experience.
According to people on here, North Philly is not that bad and some parts are currently gentrifying. I totally agree with the gentrifying part but still as a whole it is very bad. 80% of it is bad at least.
Also according to you people, Germantown is a good neighborhood. Nope, as a whole it is bad or maybe you all talking about another Germantown i dont know about.
I've also seen a lot of people say most of West Philly is nice. That is completely false. Besides university city plus the surrounding areas clark park,garden court,cedar park... plus parts of overbrook,wynnefield and city line, the rest is all bad (Very bad). All those neighborhoods are listed don't even constitute half of West Philly so i would say it is 60% bad 40% good.
Now i can't speak on South Philly because i don't know nothing about it but according you south philly as a whole is safe. You are probably right but i know for a fact there is some very bad parts too.
I currently live in southwest and 100% of it is bad let's be honest
East mt airy,west and east oak lane,logan, olney, parts of overbrook are all decent neighborhoods but it is still not 100% safe. Murders happen there sometimes

Now Let's be honest, Philadelphia as a whole is rough and i didnt even mention Frankford and Mayfair. Too many bad neighborhoods throughout the city.If you can't see that, you are just being biased because you from philly or you probably live in the suburbs or a nice area like center city and you're out of touch with reality. I've been living in the ghetto most of my life so i know what i'm talking about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 10:27 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,523,369 times
Who's telling people to move to any of those places you mentioned? No offense but if you really have spent your whole life in the ghetto, don't you think you might have the distorted perception of reality? You couple neglect to mention all of the places people actually come to this site to move to and talk about. SW Philly is probably the worst most forgotten about section of the city. This board not hood enough for you? We already got the one guy posting every purse snatching.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Who's telling people to move to any of those places you mentioned? No offense but if you really have spent your whole life in the ghetto, don't you think you might have the distorted perception of reality? You couple neglect to mention all of the places people actually come to this site to move to and talk about. SW Philly is probably the worst most forgotten about section of the city. This board not hood enough for you? We already got the one guy posting every purse snatching.
Lol you funny but no, you did not get my point. My point is that everytime people ask for advice on an area or neighborhood, i notice people would say "it is not that bad" or "it is gentrifying" or someone would ask if it safe to move to philly, they would be like "Philly is like any major city most of it safe". No it is not true. Philly isnt like most major cities. We have a huge problem with safety. I wish people would be more truthful but they are so worried about making philly look good. Of course Philly is a great city with a great potential. I just wish some areas were better

Old 06-17-2017, 11:27 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,943,060 times
Lol-Germantown is one of the largest neighborhoods in the city. You just seem ignorant. "West Philly is so ghetto except for these 7 neighborhoods lmao'. When I was growing up people thought Mt. Airy was "ghetto" and now it is one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the city and region.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Lol-Germantown is one of the largest neighborhoods in the city. You just seem ignorant. "West Philly is so ghetto except for these 7 neighborhoods lmao'. When I was growing up people thought Mt. Airy was "ghetto" and now it is one of the most desirable neighborhoods in the city and region.
Ok let me know what other parts of West Philly that is safe besides the ones i named? And i just said Mt airy is decent. West Mt Airy is a good neighborhood but East Mt airy is decent. If you know so much, tell me what other parts of West Philly i didnt name that isnt ghetto? Please and dont even try argue about Germantown, as a whole it is bad. There are some parts which are ok but it is still bad

Old 06-17-2017, 12:50 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,555,996 times
Hey, North Philly is gentrifying and will be the hottest real estate market in the nation. Get on with the program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillyfinest View Post
Lol you funny but no, you did not get my point. My point is that everytime people ask for advice on an area or neighborhood, i notice people would say "it is not that bad" or "it is gentrifying" or someone would ask if it safe to move to philly, they would be like "Philly is like any major city most of it safe". No it is not true. Philly isnt like most major cities. We have a huge problem with safety. I wish people would be more truthful but they are so worried about making philly look good. Of course Philly is a great city with a great potential. I just wish some areas were better

Old 06-17-2017, 01:59 PM

368 posts, read 454,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ondoner View Post
Hey, North Philly is gentrifying and will be the hottest real estate market in the nation. Get on with the program.
Maybe certain areas of North Philly is gentrifying, but the vast majority of it will remain ghettos for decades to come.

Philadelphia isnt as world reknown or expensive like NY DC LA SF or Boston, there wont be any hyper gentrification, any gentrification that will happen will happen slow and in certain areas, poor dangerous ghettos filled with undiserables (minorities blacks/ricans specifically, that white folks are scared of) are not guna gentrify any time soon, probably not in my lifetime and im in my 20s.

I somewhat agree with OP some of yall overexaggerate this whole up-n coming gentrification n false safety thing. The whole city isnt Fishtown or University City

Old 06-17-2017, 02:38 PM

^he was being sarcastic lol..

Old 06-17-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
ah what? so the thread title says "why do people pretend all of Philly is good?" but in reality, you want the conversation to go as if "why do people think it's safe to move to Philly?" which is a lunatics argument because 99% of people aren't looking to move here to the areas you speak of. I am sorry, but there are hundreds of thousands of us who don't worry about crime. Who comes on here and asks for advice about SW Philly? Or West Philly beyond the half dozen neighborhoods you named? Who tells them that's a good idea? We can have a discussion about where NW Philly meets N Philly, but this idea that "it's not safe to move to Philly" or any of us on this board tell people it's okay to move to Kensington and Alleghaney is ludicrous.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:21 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,017,052 times
Quote:
I've been observing for a minute and i think you should be more truthful when people ask for advices about Philly.Here is my stance on whats safe and whats not based on my experience.
According to people on here, North Philly is not that bad and some parts are currently gentrifying. I totally agree with the gentrifying part but still as a whole it is very bad. 80% of it is bad at least.
Also according to you people, Germantown is a good neighborhood. Nope, as a whole it is bad or maybe you all talking about another Germantown i dont know about.
I've also seen a lot of people say most of West Philly is nice. That is completely false. Besides university city plus the surrounding areas clark park,garden court,cedar park... plus parts of overbrook,wynnefield and city line, the rest is all bad (Very bad). All those neighborhoods are listed don't even constitute half of West Philly so i would say it is 60% bad 40% good.
Now i can't speak on South Philly because i don't know nothing about it but according you south philly as a whole is safe. You are probably right but i know for a fact there is some very bad parts too.
I currently live in southwest and 100% of it is bad let's be honest
East mt airy,west and east oak lane,logan, olney, parts of overbrook are all decent neighborhoods but it is still not 100% safe. Murders happen there sometimes

Now Let's be honest, Philadelphia as a whole is rough and i didnt even mention Frankford and Mayfair. Too many bad neighborhoods throughout the city.If you can't see that, you are just being biased because you from philly or you probably live in the suburbs or a nice area like center city and you're out of touch with reality. I've been living in the ghetto most of my life so i know what i'm talking about
This is what we call a strawman argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia