Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 09:49 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 5 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 976,158 times

Advertisements

How has Philadelphia in all its years being a large city never hosted the Summer Olympic Games? (The same could be asked of NYC, Chicago, DC, and Boston). Just seems like Philadelphia with such a great interest in sports, lots of parkland and possible venues, and proximity to other major cities and Europe would be an ideal setting. I can see why NYC and DC never held them due to cost, space, and security. Boston might be a little too chilly for the summer games, although London has held them. Is it possible for a future bid or award for Philadelphia in say the next 40 years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 04:39 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,949 times
Philadelphia has bid thrice for the Summer olympics. Chicago lost the 2016 bid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bids_f..._Olympics_bids

Hosting the Olympic games makes sense if there are venues or new venues will rejuvenate an area. 2012 changed the face of East London. The area between Hackney and Stratford was a dump before the Olympic games.

They even built a high speed train station and what is now the biggest mall in London.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:40 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Eh, I think there are many other large events that Philadelphia could host that would benefit the city more then the Olympics. The Olympics has been proved to be a financial hardship, and Philadelphia doesn't need that. I am very happy LA got the 2028 games, they are one of the few American cities that can handle the games.

I would love for Philadelphia to host events like the NFL Draft, sporting events, other athletic events, poltical events, etc.

Old 08-15-2017, 06:21 PM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,949 times
It looks like the city will be putting in a bid for the 2026 World Cup

Philadelphia takes first official steps toward hosting 2026 World Cup

Old 08-15-2017, 06:44 PM

377 posts, read 474,457 times
Hosting a few World Cup games, the MLB all-star game, or, hell, even the Super Bowl is a far cry from hosting the Olympics because of the venues that are needed. I feel confident in saying Philly will never host the Olympics and it shouldn't think about trying.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:38 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,532 times
As much as I like Philadelphia to host Olympics, history has shown that there are a lot of cities around the world that failed to utilize the facilities they built to host the game after the game was over.
I just have fear that Philadelphia would have the same problem; leaving half-ghost buildings a la the old Gallery.
But if Philly plays it right by having post-game plan for utilizing the facilities like what my alma mater did in Atlanta, it will be a boon to our area.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 AM

311 posts, read 313,835 times
You can't really compare the failures of international cities to US cities when talking about the Olympics. US cities in general are some of the best equipped to host because of financial and overall relative stability. That being said, not sure if Philly will ever host, but I hope they give it a fighting shot sometime in my lifetime.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:32 AM

273 posts, read 206,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeEd32 View Post
Hosting a few World Cup games, the MLB all-star game, or, hell, even the Super Bowl is a far cry from hosting the Olympics because of the venues that are needed. I feel confident in saying Philly will never host the Olympics and it shouldn't think about trying.
That's the spirit!

Old 08-16-2017, 01:05 PM

377 posts, read 474,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
That's the spirit!
Seems like you read that as some sort of knock against Philly. It wasn't - the area could handle the Olympics with some new and renovated venues. However, hosting the Olympics, in most cases, is a boondoggle and ends with taxpayers footing a significant portion of the bill for a lot of temporary infrastructure.

The best argument you could make for supporting it would be to elevate Philly's global profile, which was the same thinking behind Atlanta (from a much different starting point).

But, anyway, LA is getting 2028 so it would likely be at least 2048 or later where this would even be an option. It doesn't really bear thinking about.

Old 08-16-2017, 08:53 PM

85 posts, read 86,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiandudeyo View Post
As much as I like Philadelphia to host Olympics, history has shown that there are a lot of cities around the world that failed to utilize the facilities they built to host the game after the game was over.
I just have fear that Philadelphia would have the same problem; leaving half-ghost buildings a la the old Gallery.
But if Philly plays it right by having post-game plan for utilizing the facilities like what my alma mater did in Atlanta, it will be a boon to our area.
Philadelphia is not like the other cities it is very developed and has good city planners. Most of those faciltiies will go to the colleges. Philly is a very college oriented town. I don't have any fears with Philly. The one problem is to build more hotel space and if their Olympic Village will be converted to condos.

The problem that deters Philadelphia is the crime, that is a reason why Chicago lost their bid. US Cities have to clean up their crime problem if they want to host again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia