Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:27 PM

5 posts, read 3,102 times

Advertisements

I'm a recent retiree in DC and am seriously considering a move to Philadelphia after having lived for 35 years in Washington (my home is about a five minute walk from Howard U.) - house prices are crazy here, much more reasonable there; income taxes are high here, zero there for retirees. And though I still love this city, I mainly love my memories of it from years ago. Of my last three close friends here, two will be leaving. Perhaps it's time for a new adventure.

I've been looking at properties in Mt. Airy over the summer and I'm doubtful that any other part of the city would work as well for me. Its relative quiet, greenness, diversity and progressive politics are very appealing. I'm exploring that area on the advice of a friend of mine, a Philadelphia native, who lived in E. Mt. Airy for a few years before moving to the burbs. He's a major Philadelphia and Mt. Airy booster.

But he's married, I'm single, he's more than a decade younger, I'm an active and fit 64. I would have to make my own way socially and Philadelphia has a reputation as being a tough place to break in, not being particularly transient as is DC. I was advised by someone I don't know well that I'd be better off closer to, or in, Center City, that I'd feel less isolated there. But the feel of Mt. Airy, given my limited exposure, has charmed me. And it makes more sense financially, would give me more square footage and I can more easily find a place with off-street parking (which I consider to be a must-have). And my gosh, so many of the homes are beautiful.

I toured several places on Saturday and liked one in E. Mt. Airy so much that I actually toured it twice. It's on Ardleigh, quite close to the Sedgwick station, and the tracks run directly behind the back of the property. A train rolled by once during each tour and I was shocked that the three of us (me, a buddy and my agent) could barely hear them and felt no vibration. Is this typical? I mean, the train moved very slowly and had only three cars - would this also be the case during rush hour? I'd want to be sure I'm not awakened by trains at 6 AM, nor generally annoyed by their noise throughout the day.

And what's it like finding doctors there? When I had to find a new doctor here three years ago, I was unpleasantly surprised to find that so many weren't taking new patients (I finally got VERY lucky and found a doctor I wish I could take with me if I leave). I've also heard that many doctors won't take Medicare patients; Medicare is not quite a year away for me.

Is Philadelphia a good place to be elderly? If I do make a next move, it may very well be the last one (unless I quickly find that I hate my new home). If I were lucky enough to grow old (I mean really old), would Philadelphia be a good place to be for assisted living and/or nursing home facilities?

So - any advice or thoughts you might have regarding any aspect of life in Philadelphia (and Mt. Airy in particular) for a single, retired GWM would be sincerely appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2017, 06:51 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieGoreVidalSassoon View Post
I'm a recent retiree in DC and am seriously considering a move to Philadelphia after having lived for 35 years in Washington (my home is about a five minute walk from Howard U.) - house prices are crazy here, much more reasonable there; income taxes are high here, zero there for retirees. And though I still love this city, I mainly love my memories of it from years ago. Of my last three close friends here, two will be leaving. Perhaps it's time for a new adventure.

I've been looking at properties in Mt. Airy over the summer and I'm doubtful that any other part of the city would work as well for me. Its relative quiet, greenness, diversity and progressive politics are very appealing. I'm exploring that area on the advice of a friend of mine, a Philadelphia native, who lived in E. Mt. Airy for a few years before moving to the burbs. He's a major Philadelphia and Mt. Airy booster.

But he's married, I'm single, he's more than a decade younger, I'm an active and fit 64. I would have to make my own way socially and Philadelphia has a reputation as being a tough place to break in, not being particularly transient as is DC. I was advised by someone I don't know well that I'd be better off closer to, or in, Center City, that I'd feel less isolated there. But the feel of Mt. Airy, given my limited exposure, has charmed me. And it makes more sense financially, would give me more square footage and I can more easily find a place with off-street parking (which I consider to be a must-have). And my gosh, so many of the homes are beautiful.

I toured several places on Saturday and liked one in E. Mt. Airy so much that I actually toured it twice. It's on Ardleigh, quite close to the Sedgwick station, and the tracks run directly behind the back of the property. A train rolled by once during each tour and I was shocked that the three of us (me, a buddy and my agent) could barely hear them and felt no vibration. Is this typical? I mean, the train moved very slowly and had only three cars - would this also be the case during rush hour? I'd want to be sure I'm not awakened by trains at 6 AM, nor generally annoyed by their noise throughout the day.

And what's it like finding doctors there? When I had to find a new doctor here three years ago, I was unpleasantly surprised to find that so many weren't taking new patients (I finally got VERY lucky and found a doctor I wish I could take with me if I leave). I've also heard that many doctors won't take Medicare patients; Medicare is not quite a year away for me.

Is Philadelphia a good place to be elderly? If I do make a next move, it may very well be the last one (unless I quickly find that I hate my new home). If I were lucky enough to grow old (I mean really old), would Philadelphia be a good place to be for assisted living and/or nursing home facilities?

So - any advice or thoughts you might have regarding any aspect of life in Philadelphia (and Mt. Airy in particular) for a single, retired GWM would be sincerely appreciated.
I will turn 68 tomorrow and have been retired for almost 6 years. For me city living is perfect. I live in Spring Garden which is adjacent to Center City. I like that it's close to all the things I enjoy: coffee house, cafe/restaurants, a huge Whole Food, a diverse atmosphere, entertainnment, museums. I gave up my car 2 years ago because I was rarely using it.

I'm a native Philadelphian and my intention is to age-in-place. I have an older sister(74 years old) who's doing the same thing, and one cousin(69 years old)who is not going anywhere. My aunt, who is 99... same thing. So for us it has worked very well so far.

Wrt to healthcare, it can easily be said that Philly is the birthplace of American medicine( the first medical school:Penn's Perelman School of Med., first hospital: Pennsylvania Hospital, first teaching hospital: Hospital of the Univ. of PA. Additionally one of the best pediatric hospitals and networks in the country is in Philly: Children's Hospital of Phila. I've had the same physician for 25 years and he stopped taking new patients 5 years ago. I'm on Medicare which I've had no problems with. But, yes, you will have to "shop" around.

I'm gay(female)( single and AA )as are a few other posters on this board. One is married and retired here to Philly from Houston.

Either Mt Airy could be an excellent choice. It's as charming as you are discovering. They also have excellent train access to Center City as you discovered.

Speaking of senior lgbts(62+), the John C Anderson apartments/older adult community, in Center City(established in 2014) ,was the first housing development designed specifically for lower-income lgbt folks. A friend of mine lives there in very nice apt.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:46 AM

744 posts, read 776,233 times
Quote:

I live practically across the street from the Sedgwick station and love it! I have never had a problem with noise from the train. Sometimes, if I have my windows open, I can hear static type noise from the station speakers but it will typically only lasts a few minutes. It has never bothered me. The Mt. Airy community is pretty welcoming if you make a point to get involved.

I think you will love living on that part of ardeleigh. The tree canopy when you turn on to Ardeleigh from Mt. Airy Ave is beautiful. I often drive an extra block to come home that way instead of on Mt. Pleasant Ave.

I've never had trouble getting a doctor, however, I see doctors closer to my work in center city so I can't speak to Mt. Airy doctors. I am also in my early 30s so you and I probably have different needs.

Old 11-21-2017, 07:48 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,576 times
Quote:

First off, full disclosure: I'm an unabashed Mt Airy booster. My wife and I moved to E Mt Airy 9+ years ago from NC and haven't regretted a second of it (well, maybe some of those disgraceful, never-ending winter days, but still ... it's all good).

The reason you didn't notice the train is because the stations (Stenton, Sedgwick, Mt Airy, ...) are very close together. The train never gets to a speed where it'd be rattling, squealing, etc. I know someone near the St Martin's stop - the train is literally about 15' from his kitchen, and can build up enough speed to be noticed (by me, at least). He said he noticed it at first but then kind of blurred it out. So the noise won't be an issue in your possible location (even if it were, the trains don't run very much past 11:00pm).

Health care options shouldn't be much of an issue. We use Drexel Family Medicine in Manayunk and have been very happy with quality of care and continuity of staff. As the previous post implied, Philly's a good place to be sick :-) Good primary, routine care, and lots of high-quality specialty care should it be needed.

Once you move here, you can sign up with NextDoor, a residents-only app that's good for recommendations, curb alerts, items for sale, etc.

Either Mt Airy (East/West) will be a good fit for you. West is a bit closer to the Wissahickon, so if you're into cycling/running that'd be a tad better fit, but just a tad (West prices are typically higher than East for comparable housing, in my limited and now dated experience).

As an added inducement for Philly in general: next year, when you turn 65, you can ride SEPTA regional rail for $1 and buses and subway are free(!)

It may be premature, but ... welcome to the 'hood!

Old 11-21-2017, 09:20 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,765,928 times
OP, I forgot about the free and nearly free(on regional rail) rides on SEPTA! You will need to get a SEPTA senior fare card at 65.

Also, no Social Security and/or pension/retirement income is subject to the PA income tax.

Old 11-21-2017, 09:21 AM

5 posts, read 3,102 times
Wow, what thoughtful and encouraging responses, THANK YOU!

And another question - my place in DC is an end-unit rowhouse (a "Federal", it's externally ugly but spacious) and my problems with noise had been minimal for many years until the next-door house became a multi-unit rental, now occupied by several millennials. It's not that their noise is so terrible, just throwing an occasional late, loud party, but that they're unhappy with mine when I've attempted to practice the piano past 10 PM. It's no longer an issue since I bought a digital but it surprised me that the sound was transmitted that readily. Years ago, there was a multi-person argument next door (a couple of family members trying to get a gun away from somebody), there was plenty of shouting but I couldn't clearly hear everything being said - maybe it's become noisier since the owner stripped his side of the party wall to expose the brick. Anyway - the noise issues had led me to conclude that my next home would be fully detached; a "single". But the place on Ardleigh I like so much is a twin and there just aren't nearly as many detached homes in Mt. Airy as there are twins and row-homes, from what I've observed.

My friend who lived in E. Mt. Airy did have problems with the neighbor in his twin; not so much with noise but with attitude, maintenance and unappealing aromas (cooking-related, not personal), as I recall. The Ardleigh place is a stone-front Tudor built in 1940 and looks reassuringly solid, like maybe it would even survive a bomb blast, but do any posters here have familiarity with sound, or other issues, in Mt. Airy twins? Any horror stories to tell? Or happy ones (preferred)? (BTW - I don't know what's up with the twin neighbor for the property-of-interest; its front and back are full of garbage bags and other discarded items, and there was a fire in its garage, apparently still unrepaired and easily observed, which damaged the garage of the desirable twin, now repaired. My agent is trying to get background on it but I haven't heard anything back yet. Other nearby properties look fine.)

Thanks again all . . .

Old 11-21-2017, 11:18 AM

1,119 posts, read 1,465,576 times
Quote:

And another question - my place in DC is an end-unit rowhouse (a "Federal", it's externally ugly but spacious) and my problems with noise had been minimal for many years until the next-door house became a multi-unit rental, now occupied by several millennials. It's not that their noise is so terrible, just throwing an occasional late, loud party, but that they're unhappy with mine when I've attempted to practice the piano past 10 PM. It's no longer an issue since I bought a digital but it surprised me that the sound was transmitted that readily. Years ago, there was a multi-person argument next door (a couple of family members trying to get a gun away from somebody), there was plenty of shouting but I couldn't clearly hear everything being said - maybe it's become noisier since the owner stripped his side of the party wall to expose the brick. Anyway - the noise issues had led me to conclude that my next home would be fully detached; a "single". But the place on Ardleigh I like so much is a twin and there just aren't nearly as many detached homes in Mt. Airy as there are twins and row-homes, from what I've observed.

My friend who lived in E. Mt. Airy did have problems with the neighbor in his twin; not so much with noise but with attitude, maintenance and unappealing aromas (cooking-related, not personal), as I recall. The Ardleigh place is a stone-front Tudor built in 1940 and looks reassuringly solid, like maybe it would even survive a bomb blast, but do any posters here have familiarity with sound, or other issues, in Mt. Airy twins? Any horror stories to tell? Or happy ones (preferred)? (BTW - I don't know what's up with the twin neighbor for the property-of-interest; its front and back are full of garbage bags and other discarded items, and there was a fire in its garage, apparently still unrepaired and easily observed, which damaged the garage of the desirable twin, now repaired. My agent is trying to get background on it but I haven't heard anything back yet. Other nearby properties look fine.)

Thanks again all . . .
I have to admit that moving from a single-family home on nearly .5 acres to a twin separated by less than 20 feet from the next house gave me pause. However, in the 9+ years that I've been here I've heard nary a peep from 2 different sets of neighbors (both w/ small kids). Occasionally I'll hear a kid crying, but I never hear TV/music, and the family in the other twin has a good surround-sound type of system. Cooking or other odor has not been an issue (nor have I heard stories about this from neighbors). As you point out, if the other twin occupant is less than stellar about maintenance - yard, other exterior - that's going to be problematic. Ideally, both units would maintain the same level of yard upkeep, roof maintenance, and other items that can affect the "other" twin. How you'd determine that ahead of time is beyond me. For what it's worth, I don't know of any twins on our block that have those sorts of upkeep or structural issues.

Old 11-21-2017, 11:55 PM

14,189 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:

Thanks again all . . .
I lived for a while in a stone-and-brick row home built in 1946 on a quiet street just off Oxford Circle in the Northeast. There I had no problems with neighbors' noise or smells.

I now live on the second floor of a three-story row home that was converted to apartments in East Germantown, built sometime before 1906. The only problem I've had with noise here came when my downstairs neighbor played his stereo loudly, and that hasn't happened in more than a year (same neighbor). No issues with noise or anything else coming from the adjacent home. It seems to me that most Philly attached or semi-attached homes have good sound insulation between homes, most likely because their party walls are brick.

Sounds like you may need to fix that garage if you settle on this home.

If you'd like to get into the city quickly, know that Chestnut Hill East Line trains (the line you will be using if you move to this home) operate more frequently than Chestnut Hill West Line trains on weekends (60- vs. 90-minute intervals). The Route 23 bus, which runs down Germantown Avenue, the main drag of Northwest Philly north of the Wissahickon, operates far more often and connects with the Broad Street Line subway at Erie station. Expresses fly, and they run until 6:30 pm (to Walnut-Locust) / 8:45 pm (to 8th and Market) on weekdays (8th and Market trains run Saturdays too; no Sunday express service), so you can still get into the city center easily if you want to that way.

So you're a 64-year-old GWM? I'm a 59-year-old GBM who's become quite taken with Northwest Philly in general and Germantown (my home neighborhood) in particular. Loads of history and charm up this way. If you do move to EMA, you should come to the Tuesday evening chat 'n' chew for LGBTQ folk held at Earth Bread + Brewery at 7136 Germantown Ave. in the heart of Mt. Airy. Unlike you, however, I have no intention of retiring anytime soon: one, I can't afford it yet, and two, since I'm a journalist, I figure that as long as I can write, I can work. I intend to exit like Charlie Gusewelle, a Kansas City Star columnist I knew when I worked there in high school: he died this past March at age 93, one month after sheathing his pen.

Old 11-22-2017, 06:11 AM

14,189 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Too late for me to update my previous post, so FYI:

NW Philly LGBTQ Tuesday Night Chat 'n' Chew - the group.

Earth - Bread + Brewery - the venue. The Tuesday Night chatfest coincides with the restaurant/brewpub's "Table Top Science" children's activity once a month. This place, which serves inventive flatbread pizza, appetizers and a large menu of craft brews, including several rare styles brewed in-house, is one of those places I call "Very Mt. Airy." That science-for-kids activity is one reason why it falls in that category.

Just up Germantown Avenue from this place is McMenamin's Tavern, a typical Irish-American neighborhood taproom that is likewise Very Mt. Airy. You will usually find a thoroughly integrated crowd at this place, even if at times it looks like a mosaic rather than a mélange. Great selection of craft brews here too, and people rave about their wings (I have yet to try them).

Old 11-22-2017, 08:24 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,185,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankInPhilly View Post
I have to admit that moving from a single-family home on nearly .5 acres to a twin separated by less than 20 feet from the next house gave me pause. However, in the 9+ years that I've been here I've heard nary a peep from 2 different sets of neighbors (both w/ small kids). Occasionally I'll hear a kid crying, but I never hear TV/music, and the family in the other twin has a good surround-sound type of system. Cooking or other odor has not been an issue (nor have I heard stories about this from neighbors). As you point out, if the other twin occupant is less than stellar about maintenance - yard, other exterior - that's going to be problematic. Ideally, both units would maintain the same level of yard upkeep, roof maintenance, and other items that can affect the "other" twin. How you'd determine that ahead of time is beyond me. For what it's worth, I don't know of any twins on our block that have those sorts of upkeep or structural issues.

I would agree with all of this and add the following. As much as you may like the place on Ardleigh, if you can see ahead of time that the attached neighbor doesn't have a heck of a lot of pride in ownership based on the mess that you see, I would rank that highly as a red flag. Personally, I'd keep looking.

I live in the burbs and grew up in a single, but both of the houses I've owned myself in adulthood have been twins. Noise was a bit of a factor in my last house, mainly because the attached neighbor had three dogs in 1,100 square feet and the one would bark all damn day, which made the others bark too. With my current house (stone/stucco built in 1928), noise is not a factor at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia