Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2017, 09:02 AM

21 posts, read 42,146 times

Advertisements

When are you moving? May 2018

Where are you coming from? NJ

Why are you moving? job requirement

Where will you be working? No my husband will work in University of Pennsylvania.

Have you been here yet? No

Will you buy or rent? Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? Apartment $1500
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?

Do you have a preference of living in a NJ or PA suburb? I do not know yet
(If you answered NJ - post your answers here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-philadelphia/)

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Married 2 kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? Any. I prefer a very good school for my 2nd grader.
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? No
Are you keeping a car? Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Activity.
It has to be a walkable, safe family friendly area

What do you want to be closest to?
I prefer to be close to the school since we will walk to school

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? Does not matter
Thank you very much
Any comments is really appreciated.

Last edited by Nuraa; 12-05-2017 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2017, 10:37 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Do you prefer living in the city or the suburbs? Makes a HUGE difference as far as places to recommend. Philadelphia School District is not all bad, there are some excellent schools, but it varies by neighborhood. If you do not want the urban lifestyle and prefer to be in a suburban area then I can give some more recommendations.

Their is a good catchment (school) in the city by UPenn in West Philadelphia around Spruce Hill/Clark Park, but rent tends to be just a tad higher than your budget for a 3 bedroom. (Probably closer to 2000) a month.

Old 12-05-2017, 10:51 AM

Thank you very much
I think We can do 2000. I prefer city more than suburb. But I would not mind suburb if it's safer or the school is better
Thank you again

Old 12-05-2017, 01:11 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,753,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuraa View Post
Thank you very much
I think We can do 2000. I prefer city more than suburb. But I would not mind suburb if it's safer or the school is better
Thank you again
You are probably aware that Penn's(Upenn and Penn Med) neighboring institutions are Drexel U, USP, CHOP and the Walnut Hill College/ Restaurant School.

University City is comprised of multiple neighborhoods: Spruce Hill, Clark Park, Cedar Park, Walnut Hill and Powelton Village.
The Penn Alexander K-8 School, in Spruce Hill, is the main school you should try to get your child into. There is also the Samuel Powel Elementary School in Powelton Village. However Powel is only a K-4 school.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:15 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Yes if your spouse is working at UPenn and you want to be in the city, I 100% recommend KYBOB input. Stick to University City and more specifically the Spruce Hill/Clark Park area that puts you within Penn Alexander catchement. Be aware this school is very well regarded so I would contact the school or a forum as I believe it is so popular there is a process to enroll even though it is a public school.

Other fantastic city neighborhoods (west Mt. Airy) area (variety of housing stock from stone mansions to mutli unit rowhomes). Although I am not sure of the school choices, but as far as families go it is very well regarded. Also Fairmount is very popular with families but I am not familiar with school options.

There are many other well regarded family neighborhoods in the city, but TBH I am not an expert on public schools. I know many families send their kids to private schools in the city.

Outside the city I would consider Media, PA (it has a very urban vibe) despite being in the suburbs. There are other walkable suburban areas, but this one is the largest and most sophisticated in terms of size, amenities (transit oriented) and overall urban feel, so this would be my #1 recommendation for outside the city. The school district is also highly regarded and I feel for 2000 you will find available housing.

Old 12-06-2017, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Also Fairmount is very popular with families but I am not familiar with school options.

There are many other well regarded family neighborhoods in the city, but TBH I am not an expert on public schools. I know many families send their kids to private schools in the city.
OP, definitely check out Fairmount, and its adjacent neighborhood: Spring Garden and Francisville. Commuting to Penn from any of them is fairly easy.

The primary school you should look into in Bache-Martin elementary at 22nd and Brown. It serves all three neighborhoods.

I live in Spring Garden and I can tell you, first hand, that there are lots and lot of kids in all three. Also they're fairly diverse areas(white, black, hispanic).

Wrt Bache-Martin I saw this on their website: "among an elite group of schools in the Center City schools initiative".

Old 12-06-2017, 06:48 AM

1,782 posts, read 1,551,299 times
Like most Philadelphia public schools, it has a very low test score rating. Schools are not rated by the content of their websites or by community reviews

https://www.greatschools.org/pennsyl...Martin-School/

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

The primary school you should look into in Bache-Martin elementary at 22nd and Brown. It serves all three neighborhoods.

I live in Spring Garden and I can tell you, first hand, that there are lots and lot of kids in all three. Also they're fairly diverse areas(white, black, hispanic).

Wrt Bache-Martin I saw this on their website: "among an elite group of schools in the Center City schools initiative".

Old 12-06-2017, 07:10 PM

1,388 posts, read 909,333 times
For elementary schools, I think the ones you'll want to look at in the city are Penn Alexander (University City), Greenfield (Fitler Square), and Meredith (Queen Village). Not surprisingly, the best schools are also all in neighborhoods that are very nice and as safe as anywhere in Philly. U-City is obviously most convenient to your husband's job. Fitler Square is more or less right across the river. Queen Village is maybe two miles to the east, but still not too far away. I'm not sure of rents in those areas, though.

There are lots of great school districts in the suburbs. Where I live in Newtown (Council Rock SD) is one of the best in the state, but it's also an hour commute each way for me, too.

Old 12-06-2017, 07:23 PM

Thank you very much for everyone who commented. I will definitely check every single area you mintioned.
My husband's friend told him today about center city what do you think ?

Old 12-06-2017, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuraa View Post
Thank you very much for everyone who commented. I will definitely check every single area you mintioned.
My husband's friend told him today about center city what do you think ?
Well, Greenfield School is in Center City. Fitler Sq is a CC neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia