Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 03:59 AM

72 posts, read 127,260 times

Advertisements

Media is on one of the few train lines that stops in University City. Both CHOP and HUP are right there so it probably would be one of your closest options for a good suburb. Also look at Swarthmore...same train line but a few stops closer, though not necessarily faster bc of express trains, etc. You can get a nice house for 500K in the Media/Swarthmore/Wallingford but taxes are quite high in the Wallingford-Swarthmore SD...easily 10k+ for something priced at 500K. Rose Tree in Media is lower taxes but the borough of Media can be quite pricey. Without traffic, a drive from the area would be about 30-45 minutes to CHOP.

The main line is set along the R5 train, which does not stop in University City. It stops at 30th street and then you'd need to take either a bus or trolley. Walking is totally doable but it would add time. You can see all the timetables on septa's website. We recently moved to the area and commute into Center City and UPenn. Feel free to PM me any questions. Our budget was similar to yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 06:39 PM

7 posts, read 10,184 times
Thanks for the offer to discuss more, MKE8244!

Again, thanks for everyone's thoughts. I know that I sound a bit fixated on a short commute. We both often work 12 hours at a time, so adding 90-120 commuting minutes a day is quite painful, and with our kids' ages means that we barely see them awake even on one end of the workday. One of the reasons we are looking to move out of NYC is that if we continue to work in city hospitals and want to live in a suburb, we are looking at that ~60 min commute (~120 minutes RT). So it would make less sense to relocate to Philadelphia knowing we'll be in the same situation. Renting for a few years is doable but our work hours are unlikely to change so we're just kicking the decision a few years down the line when school district becomes more important.

Given that, is there any town that I'm missing that meets the criteria for (1) RT commute < 75ish minutes, (2) good schools, (3) vibrant community feel, (4) yard? We can go up on the budget if that would make the difference.

Thank you!

Old 02-07-2018, 06:50 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKE8244 View Post
Media is on one of the few train lines that stops in University City. Both CHOP and HUP are right there so it probably would be one of your closest options for a good suburb. Also look at Swarthmore...same train line but a few stops closer, though not necessarily faster bc of express trains, etc. You can get a nice house for 500K in the Media/Swarthmore/Wallingford but taxes are quite high in the Wallingford-Swarthmore SD...easily 10k+ for something priced at 500K. Rose Tree in Media is lower taxes but the borough of Media can be quite pricey. Without traffic, a drive from the area would be about 30-45 minutes to CHOP.

The main line is set along the R5 train, which does not stop in University City. It stops at 30th street and then you'd need to take either a bus or trolley. Walking is totally doable but it would add time. You can see all the timetables on septa's website. We recently moved to the area and commute into Center City and UPenn. Feel free to PM me any questions. Our budget was similar to yours.
The R5 was renamed the Paoli-Thorndale traih, btw.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:21 PM

1,398 posts, read 915,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahkc View Post
Thanks for the offer to discuss more, MKE8244!

Again, thanks for everyone's thoughts. I know that I sound a bit fixated on a short commute. We both often work 12 hours at a time, so adding 90-120 commuting minutes a day is quite painful, and with our kids' ages means that we barely see them awake even on one end of the workday. One of the reasons we are looking to move out of NYC is that if we continue to work in city hospitals and want to live in a suburb, we are looking at that ~60 min commute (~120 minutes RT). So it would make less sense to relocate to Philadelphia knowing we'll be in the same situation. Renting for a few years is doable but our work hours are unlikely to change so we're just kicking the decision a few years down the line when school district becomes more important.

Given that, is there any town that I'm missing that meets the criteria for (1) RT commute < 75ish minutes, (2) good schools, (3) vibrant community feel, (4) yard? We can go up on the budget if that would make the difference.

Thank you!
I would recommend looking at Jenkintown. The train ride from Jenkintown to 30th St is 30 mins, and not only that, Jenkintown-Wyncote station is a hub with at least 3 or 4 lines that all go downtown stopping there, so there are constantly trains. 30th St to CHOP is maybe a 10 min walk or a short connecting bus if weather is bad. The schools are great, and the community is vibrant. Because it's more of a closer-in suburb, the housing stock is generally older Tudor or colonial style, so the houses have more charm (i.e. crown molding, French doors, etc) than modern amenities. Lots are not huge, but you'll be able to find a house at least with a yard. This is a typical listing:

Last edited by Yac; 12-11-2020 at 01:29 AM..

Old 02-08-2018, 09:27 AM

40 posts, read 46,898 times
If you want to maximize time with your kids, I’d look in the 20-30 minute walking radius around the hospitals. Nearly all of the neighborhoods are nice and vibrant, probably more vibrant than the suburbs. Many of the elementary schools will be Fine (or better!) for K and 1st so you don’t have to feel panicked about moving imminently.

One contextual note is that the real estate market for 500k homes in the close suburbs with vibrant communities and excellent schools is very competitive. In Narberth and close-to-Narberth, I know of many homes that never even hit the market and many pass neighbor to neighbor. Coming from out of town will put you at a disadvantage. Renting for a few years close to the hospital, maximizing time with your kids, exploring the area for awhile, and saving up a bit more will make it easier for you to land in the right suburban place for you.

Of course if you are really looking to set up shop in the suburbs immediately, you have many options outlined above. I just get the sense that you really would love a short commute, and if you do, the walking commute to the hospitals is a great option.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:31 AM

691 posts, read 3,061,282 times
If you are not opposed to driving to work, you should also consider some of the Jersey suburbs. Places like Haddon Township, Haddon Heights, and the western portions of Cherry Hill will put you at about a 30min drive time (usually) to CHOP and all have good school districts.

Also another thing to keep in mind if you guys are working 12-hour shifts and planning to commute via train; the SEPTA Regional Rails don't run very often outside of normal rush hours..

Last edited by JerzBoy; 02-13-2018 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-15-2018, 07:05 AM

7 posts, read 10,184 times
Thanks for all the feedback! Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia