Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2008, 10:21 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,525,465 times

Advertisements

New construction you're looking at way out in Downingtown, Malvern, West Chester. West Chester does not have train service to the city, though.

Why not look at older homes and be closer to the city? Tredyffrin, Great Valley, Rose Tree Media (great walkable town), Wallingford-Swarthmore (voted a best place to live by Money magazine last year), Havertown (family oriented closer to the city), Springfield (more blue collar, more affordable).

I'm sure I missed a couple of the really good school districts around here but you get the drift. Also keep in mind that what you save on the house price in one area you typically make up for in taxes - we're looking at larger homes for less money with $10K a year in taxes or top dollar for smaller homes with lower taxes...just depends what area and type of people you like...

For the record, I would rather live in most places around Philly than most of the south jersey suburbs...just can't imagine the crowded roads, urban sprawl and commute across the river every day...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 05:13 AM

14 posts, read 52,983 times
orrmobl--

sounds like you're talking my lingo.
Which towns on the bucks side would you recommend?
My husband and I like the older homes with character and architecture-- I'm an artist.
He's working in Trenton. We've got 2 school-age boys and we definitely don't want the crowded roads and big malls and such. That's one of the reasons we're leaving NYC.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:51 AM

I'm no expert on Bucks but I like the Newtown area and have read Yardley is nice as well. Stick to Central Bucks, Council Rock and Pennsbury schools if you can and you can't go wrong...

Old 03-31-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glausuche View Post
orrmobl--

sounds like you're talking my lingo.
Which towns on the bucks side would you recommend?
My husband and I like the older homes with character and architecture-- I'm an artist.
He's working in Trenton. We've got 2 school-age boys and we definitely don't want the crowded roads and big malls and such. That's one of the reasons we're leaving NYC.
This thread sums up the area way better than I ever could...happy reading!

http://www.city-data.com/forum/phila...rrounding.html

Old 03-31-2008, 06:37 PM

surferr--
the house you posted a link to looks amazing, but we're looking more in the 250k range, so that'd be way above our budget.
How do you like Cheltenham? Is it safe, good neighbors? away from the hustle?
And how long would the commute to Trenton be?

Old 03-31-2008, 08:08 PM

59 posts, read 167,440 times
Make sure that you consider south Jersey. There are several great school districts - such as Haddonfield and Cherry HIll. You should be able to find a nice house in Cherry HIll for less than $350,000 - but most likely it won't be new construction. IT is an easy commute from Cherry HIll to 30th ST. Route 295 can take you to Trenton (aprox 40 min) or to 30th ST (aprox 25 min.) You'll find a strong AP program in the hgih schools as well as allkinds of extra-cirricular clubs. By the way - the trip to the "shore" is only an hour -so its easy to go to the beach for the day.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:20 AM

Question are taxes high everywhere in NJ?

sandi--

yes, but what of the high taxes I hear about in New Jersey. Seems to me that just taxes alone will make the house un-affordable to us.
What do you know of Roosevelt, NJ?

Old 04-04-2008, 11:12 AM

3 posts, read 7,759 times
We're currently live in Deptford, NJ, it's a 15-20 minutes (about 10 miles) to 30th st & market st. Not sure of school though, you can check that out if interested. Everything is close by (mall, grocery, post office, restaurant within 1 mi). We have a townhome that in the process of putting up for sale as we are looking to move as well (TX), for 2000 s.f, 1 car garage, end unit, 2 yrs old, the builder just finished the sub division & moved out 2 months ago, it goes for $300k. Nice community with young families. Since it's located right off of Rt 42 & 55 (less than a mi), we don't face traffic issue in the morning or afternoon. Mullica Hill is nice too but I believe you have to take 55 to get to Philadelphia, houses in Mullica Hill might be a bit cheaper than Deptford & washington township but it's far away from the city.

We've only live here for 2 years, have co-worker who live in Washington township, it's nice in that area too, have good school system, but the draw back is traffic since it's located south of 55 & 42, traffic gets backup from Deptford and south of 42 & 55 really bad. Mullica Hill area is nice too, they have new house build, houses are a bit cheaper than Deptford & Washington township but locate far away from the city & major routes.

3 yrs ago when we move to the area, we were looking for new house in the price range you mention & only be able to settle with townhouse. In Cinnamonson area, there was one development just started when we look for houses, it's right off the Delaware river, have rail system in the neighborhood, their houses are much smaller & a bit higher in price (because its near river front) but other than that, nothing in the area at all, not convience, at lot of traffic lights if you need to get to Philly, it's a bit old & rundown. Nice area woud be Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Delran but homes prices, property taxes are very high.

good luck with you search.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:47 PM

59 posts, read 167,440 times
Its true - the taxes in NJ are high - but there is some compensation. Here's my understanding of the tax advantage of living in NJ - if you work in Phila and pay city wage tax, you deduct most ofw what you pay to the city from what you would otherwise be paying the stte of NJ. If you live in Pa you don't get to do this. Also - the taxes are high to pay for the great schools. The state doesn't give enough aid to these good school districts - so its up to the taxpayers to pay for top notch teachers.

Old 04-04-2008, 02:42 PM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
Default Moving to Philly - Looking for School, etc...

Hi,

I currently live in Horsham and my kids have been here from elementary through graduation. The schools are great, they offer a lot to their students, my kids loved the schools and the teachers were very nice. Young but nice.

You can also catch the R5 locally down to Philly.

Homes - well there are some townhomes for sale and a lot on the market, I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult finding something to your liking in this area. It's quiet, lots of shopping and plenty of places to eat.

We are moving OUT of the area though and can't wait. We are originally from down south and we miss the slower pace, friendly faces everywhere and the very common hospitality that is lacking all around this area and in Philly. Don't get me wrong, I've had some good friends that live downtown but you couldn't pay me to A. ride the subway these days or B. drive down there.

Everywhere around here the roads are horrible thanks to the union road crews. The people have topped my list in rudeness (not everyone but most) and I find that after living here over 10 years, in general people are just inconsiderate and Philly isn't nicknamed "Killadelphia" and "Filthadelphia" for nothing. If you are moving here, good luck but yes, there are still nice towns and great schools.

Good luck with your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia