Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 02:40 PM

7,127 posts, read 12,670,656 times

Advertisements

Though born in Phila., haven't lived there in years and years. Coming for a week's visit this Spring. What should we not miss? Like to walk, like art, music, theater, neighborhood restaurants, ethnic food, history, friendly pubs, nature, gardens, bookstores, cycling, etc.

And gotta get a really good hoagie....

Love to hear your thoughts. We'll be staying near the Art Museum.

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 02:51 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Though born in Phila., haven't lived there in years and years. Coming for a week's visit this Spring. What should we not miss? Like to walk, like art, music, theater, neighborhood restaurants, ethnic food, history, friendly pubs, nature, gardens, bookstores, cycling, etc.

And gotta get a really good hoagie....

Love to hear your thoughts. We'll be staying near the Art Museum.

Many thanks.
You could literally spend the week just exploring the restaurant scene and do little else. To start with look at the "foobooz" section of the Philadelphia Magazine website. There's a new article about hoagie places in various neighborhoods.

Old 12-06-2018, 07:46 AM

Just booked a place off of Spring Garden St. near the Art Museum....hope that's an okay neighborhood for walking around in...

Old 12-06-2018, 08:08 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Just booked a place off of Spring Garden St. near the Art Museum....hope that's an okay neighborhood for walking around in...
Yes, it's fine. I live in Spring Garden which is a the neighborhood named after the street. While you are here go to Fairmount Ave, which is north of Spring Garden St. Except for chain drug stores every restaurant, coffee shops and other shops are independently owned if that interests you.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Yes, it's fine. I live in Spring Garden which is a the neighborhood named after the street. While you are here go to Fairmount Ave, which is north of Spring Garden St. Except for chain drug stores every restaurant, coffee shops and other shops are independently owned if that interests you.
Yes! That interests me very much. Any recommendations for your fav moderately or low-cost eateries with an ethnic flair in the hood? Or a friendly pub? (we especially like vegetable-rich foods and Asian foods--Thai, Vietnamese, etc.)

Old 12-06-2018, 10:18 AM

409 posts, read 370,609 times
Quote:
Yes! That interests me very much. Any recommendations for your fav moderately or low-cost eateries with an ethnic flair in the hood? Or a friendly pub? (we especially like vegetable-rich foods and Asian foods--Thai, Vietnamese, etc.)
Zahav is the hottest restaurant in Philly. It's Israeli food (not asian) but it is ethnic. Reservations are tough to come by but do what you can to make it work. It's in Old City, which isn't near where you're staying, but I'm sure Old City is already on your itinerary anyway.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:46 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,754,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patmcpsu View Post
Zahav is the hottest restaurant in Philly. It's Israeli food (not asian) but it is ethnic. Reservations are tough to come by but do what you can to make it work. It's in Old City, which isn't near where you're staying, but I'm sure Old City is already on your itinerary anyway.
I’ve seen Zahav booked out with no reservations available four months in advance. It’s ridiculous. Haven’t been yet.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:46 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,562,078 times
If you want some serious soul food, go to Butters. It's not far from the Art museum. only thing is it's take out. but it's awesome food and in the spring you can get a platter and dine al fresco. Like Kybo1 I live in the Spring garden area on Green street. I love walking around, pretty much use your old Philadelphia safety sense and you'll be fine.

Actually you will past a whole food market that has a pretty good prepared food section. and they have what I call pop up eateries.
A falfala shop called goldie and Izakay which serves Japenese small plates. they also have a pub and outdoor seating (though no waitressing)

We just opened up a new entertainment venue called The Met, you could check out who will be there during your visit.

Old 12-06-2018, 10:47 AM

744 posts, read 775,848 times
Quote:
Not much ethnic food afaik right in Spring Garden/Fairmount. For Thai/Asian there is trio but it is pretty bad IMO. Brown Street also sells Bahn Mi which are decent. If you love vietnamese food you would be a fool not to travel to Washington Ave in South Philadelphia. There is virtually an unlimited selection of Vietnamese and Cambodian spots to choose from there.

I would recommend checking out the whole foods in the neighborhood. They have a food court of sorts with locations of Dizengoff and Goldie which are both fantastic. Dizengoff sells absurdly tasty hummus and Goldie focuses on Falafel (and is Vegan). I also recommend checking about Bar Hygee, Belgian Café and Zorbas.

Old 12-06-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leps12 View Post
I’ve seen Zahav booked out with no reservations available four months in advance. It’s ridiculous. Haven’t been yet.
Well, I think we'll miss that very trendy place. I'm a "foodie" with a small "f." Don't much pursue the trendy places but love to patronize independently owned ethnic eateries with the owners in residence.

We lived in SF for over 30 years and ate bunches of Asian food of all varieties. Now in NC, we sure do miss our Asian restaurants. Our little town lost its nearby Thai restaurant to Florence the hurricane. Now, the nearest Thai place is about 40 miles away. Sigh. I can cook some simple Thai dishes, but it's a poor substitute

And Chinese? Fegeddit about it. We have poor Chinese food here--very bland and Americanized.

So we'll be filling our Asian jones while in Phila--along with every other kind of ethnic food we've been missing...Indian, Middle-Eastern, Greek, South American, French, African, deli, Italian (though we just spent 3 weeks in Italy and had great pastas).

There is one great sushi place nearby to us--it's very fresh as we live on the seacoast in NC.

Any other kinds of food in Phila. we should eat?? I'll pass on the Scrapple, though I loved it as a kid...

Wishing for a great knish like my Granny used to make...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia