Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 04:23 PM

2,557 posts, read 2,682,995 times

Advertisements

Malvern is in a quality school district, and a nice place to live. Far from the city, not a lot to do there, but a great place to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 04:50 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Malvern is in a quality school district, and a nice place to live. Far from the city, not a lot to do there, but a great place to raise a family.
What type of home are you looking for?

Updated/turn key?

Fixer/Upper?

Is the flexibility between Sing Family Home and Townhome there? Which do you prefer? It sounds like you are seeking a yard.

What are the top 3 things you are looking for in a community where you live?

I think this will guide the search. Southeast Pennsylvania is a large metro with an amazing array of suburban towns and ranks top 5 nationwide in top performing public school districts, so there are so many great areas to point you. What are your top 3?

500k in some areas can get you into 1600 sf older brick colonial with updates or 2400 sf 20 year old home without updates.

It all is dependent on what you really want in a home and community.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:27 PM

24 posts, read 27,741 times
I am looking for a place with good schools, and a friendly, close knit community. Single family home with a small yard is preferred but we will do just fine with a townhome if the area is nice. We do not have any interest in getting acres of property. Our top 3 things we would prefer would be safety, good schools and a good community. Access to good walking trails would be a great bonus.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:54 AM

1,398 posts, read 915,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rash_g80 View Post
I am looking for a place with good schools, and a friendly, close knit community. Single family home with a small yard is preferred but we will do just fine with a townhome if the area is nice. We do not have any interest in getting acres of property. Our top 3 things we would prefer would be safety, good schools and a good community. Access to good walking trails would be a great bonus.
Newtown also fits the bill for all of those priorities:

Good Schools - Council Rock SD
Friendly community
Walkable "main street" downtown
Low crime
Walking trails - Tyler State Park

Old 03-20-2019, 04:07 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,535 times
Quote:

With this updated post, I would 100% recommend Havertown, but for the commute to North Wales. Google maps puts it at about 35 minutes right now, but it's a bit past rush hour. Could be closer to 45 minutes in rush hour.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:19 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,316,080 times
Quote:

So good schools are a blessing of Southeast Pennsylvania. Most of the region is blessed with top-performing school districts. Just because one ranks #3 and the other ranks #10, honestly there is very little difference. Southeast Pennsylvania ranks as one of the top regions in the nation for public education.

Safety within these districts is also not an issue.

I would focus more in on commute time, housing (do you demand updated or will you sacrifice an updated home for more space)?

Your top 3 exists quite easily nearly everywhere in Southeast Pennsylvania suburbs for the most part. We are blessed with the most likely the top 3 best suburban region in the nation in terms of quality of life.

I think you have to be a little bit more defined on what you ideally are looking for.

Old 03-20-2019, 05:00 PM

24 posts, read 27,741 times
Flyers girl, I don't have the need to be close to North Wales anymore. Since my husband will be traveling or telecomuting and I have a business from home, we can choose to be wherever we want.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:58 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
If high achieving public schools are Top priority one of The Main Line towns would be the way to go. The Main Line runs along the former Pennsylvania Railroad and is now known as Septa's Paoli /Thorndale rail line. Runs parallel to Lancaster Ave (Route 30). West of the city for about 25 miles or so. Includes dozens of separate towns.

According to Business Insider/Niche There are over 3200 public school districts in the USA. 3 of the top 20 ranked public school districts are on the Main Line . You may want to research Main Line if Schools are key.

Niche 2019 Ratings

MAIN LINE Public School Districts

4.Tredyffrin-Easttown
5.Radnor
18.Lower Merion

A couple other area school districts scored high on the list.

22.Wallingford-Swarthmore
26.Princeton
43.Unionville-Chadds Ford

Walking trails? The best in the area imo is Wissahickon Gorge/Forbidden Drive(NW Philly), Ridley Creek State Park(Media-West Chester), and Valley Forge National Park(King of Prussia). Chester County is known for their land preserves and hiking trails and there is an awesome recreational trail right thru the heart of center city Philly. Schuylkill Banks/Kelly Drive.

Good luck. The western burbs with the top schools are a relative bargain compared to SF/NY/DC/Boston but by no means are cheap to live.Property taxes vary but can be exorbitant in certain towns so keep an eye on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia