Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 08:01 PM

28 posts, read 55,558 times

Advertisements

We are relocating from out of state due to a new job in the Princeton area and are curious if we will have better luck with our search if we cast our net a little wider to include PA. However I have zero familiarity with PA so would anyone be willing to point me in the right direction?

Looking for:
-4+ bedroom, price range under $750k
-family friendly neighborhood (subdivision fine, don’t need a huge yard, sidewalks are a bonus)
-desirable area with top schools (we have 3 in elementary)
-reasonable commute to Princeton
-proximity to Target/Trader Joes/a nice gym/etc would be great (i.e. nothing too terribly remote)

Does anywhere spring to mind as a good fit? We were looking at the New Hope area which supposedly has a good school system but would love other suggestions to research. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 09:08 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
You received good advice when you asked this same question in the NJ forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ly-5-near.html

Old 08-24-2018, 09:49 PM

1,388 posts, read 909,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopehome View Post
We are relocating from out of state due to a new job in the Princeton area and are curious if we will have better luck with our search if we cast our net a little wider to include PA. However I have zero familiarity with PA so would anyone be willing to point me in the right direction?

Looking for:
-4+ bedroom, price range under $750k
-family friendly neighborhood (subdivision fine, don’t need a huge yard, sidewalks are a bonus)
-desirable area with top schools (we have 3 in elementary)
-reasonable commute to Princeton
-proximity to Target/Trader Joes/a nice gym/etc would be great (i.e. nothing too terribly remote)

Does anywhere spring to mind as a good fit? We were looking at the New Hope area which supposedly has a good school system but would love other suggestions to research. Thank you!
Your best bet in PA is going to be right across Scudders Falls bridge in Yardley/Lower Makefield (Pennsbury schools) or Newtown/Upper Makefield (Council Rock). Anywhere else is going to be a pretty long commute to Princeton. New Hope is very nice and New Hope-Solebury schools are excellent as well, but commuting to Princeton is going to be a little trickier (although I guess it would be back roads instead of Rt 1...).

Old 08-25-2018, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
You received good advice when you asked this same question in the NJ forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ly-5-near.html

We weren’t even considering PA at that point and I don’t believe any of the responses discussed PA options in any detail either. So my new question that I’ve posted here in the PA forum is for PA suggestions.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Your best bet in PA is going to be right across Scudders Falls bridge in Yardley/Lower Makefield (Pennsbury schools) or Newtown/Upper Makefield (Council Rock). Anywhere else is going to be a pretty long commute to Princeton. New Hope is very nice and New Hope-Solebury schools are excellent as well, but commuting to Princeton is going to be a little trickier (although I guess it would be back roads instead of Rt 1...).
Thank you! I will look at these districts.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:31 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,627,878 times
Hi All,

Reviving this old thread because I have a potential scenario where I might commute to both Temple Univ. Hospital on some days and Princeton, NJ on other days. It looks like midpoint is Langhorne. Looking for something that is (1) safe, (2) good schools, (3) under 40 minutes to both, (4) a mix of housing options, like 2BR condos to single-family homes available under $400k. Any thoughts?

Thank you,
N

Old 04-23-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Hi All,

Reviving this old thread because I have a potential scenario where I might commute to both Temple Univ. Hospital on some days and Princeton, NJ on other days. It looks like midpoint is Langhorne. Looking for something that is (1) safe, (2) good schools, (3) under 40 minutes to both, (4) a mix of housing options, like 2BR condos to single-family homes available under $400k. Any thoughts?

Thank you,
N
Well, first of all, there is going to be really nowhere that is 40 mins or under from both locations during rush hour. Your best bet is Yardley or Langhorne or Upper Makefield - i.e. somewhere very close to I-295 (old I-95). At rush hour from Yardley, Princeton will be right on the cusp of 40-45 mins and Temple will be more like 50-55 because of traffic on 95. If you're commuting during off-peak hours, Yardley is about a half hour from either place (maybe a little longer to Temple). You'd have to look at housing options in those areas, but both Pennsbury (Yardley) and Neshaminy (Langhorne) schools are fine and the whole area is safe.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Hi All,

Thank you,
N
Another option you might want to consider is Burlington, NJ. Traffic on the NJ side might help you on the commute times at rush hour, but I don't know what the housing or schools are like over there. I'd ask about this in the NJ Philly suburbs subforum.

Old 04-23-2019, 01:57 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Another option you might want to consider is Burlington, NJ. Traffic on the NJ side might help you on the commute times at rush hour, but I don't know what the housing or schools are like over there. I'd ask about this in the NJ Philly suburbs subforum.
On that side of the river, there's Burlington City, with subpar schools and Burlington Twp. The township schools would be better. However Florence would probably be a better place to look, on that side of the river. Looking on the Pennsylvania side isn't a bad idea, given the circumstances. However, being on the Jersey side would potentially help for state taxes as the Philadelphia wage tax would be deductible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia