Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2020, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 3,138 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I accepted a job whose offices are located in Malvern.
Given that i have some relatives friends who will eventually visit me in PA, I wanted to find a place to live near a train line so that it would be easy to go to the city center.

Looking at google maps, I see there is the Paoli/Thorndale line, which goes to the center, and it's also going close to Malvern.

From what i see on gmap, there are communities like Daylesford, Berwyn, Devon, Strafford, Wayne, etc so wondered---in this area of PA, is there an area close to the train line that's recommended to rent apartments?

Thanks for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 04:39 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,310,407 times
Hello,

There is a commuter rail line that extends from center city to Paoli. All of the towns you listed are on this line. The area is called the Main Line and is an affluent leafy suburban community of quaint town and village centers.

Questions you want to ask are budget. As this area is quite pricey. And commute time. And what amenities and age demographic you want at your disposal. The area is quite family oriented. The closer you move towards the city it starts to trend younger (Ardmore).

Public transit is quite strong in terms of city access. So you really should have no worries.

What would you like your average commute time to be to your job in Malvern?

If you are comfortable with a 35/45 commute than I would recommend Ardmore more than any place. Lots of apartment options. Great amenities and only an 18 minute express train ride to Center City.

Old 01-31-2020, 05:09 PM

@rowhomecity

Thanks for the details.
I'm in my late 30's so not looking for a retirement like community but also not looking for a party town.
45 min max commute sounds about right for me. Doing an hour if not 1hr 15 min now.

Traffic going west from Armore to Malvern---is it as heavy as going to the Phily area from the west side?
Thanks for your tip!

Old 01-31-2020, 05:25 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Ahhhh, Malvern?

Old 02-01-2020, 04:35 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I am a little confused- if you are only interested in trainline for occasional visits to and from center city, you really could live a variety of places and just drive to the train station when needed. If it's a daily commute and you are driving? train? to malvern for job, then why do you need to be along the main line? The mainline is desirable so it's a great place to live, but proximity to the trainline and Malvern would seem to open up a lot more areas.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:40 AM

@maybenne
Hi...the idea is that I'll have some family members coming in to stay with me, and as they are from out of the country, driving is not an option for them. Also, eventually my significant other who is a nurse, might look for jobs in the city so as she says there are plenty of hospitals there.

Thus, my idea was, is it possible to live in a place that is accessible to the city center by train (so that eventually it will be easier for guests and SO to go there), while at the same time commutable to Malvern by me by car? I also hear there is a local city tax that varies according to where you live and from what i saw, it seems that Ardmore's rate is 0% while Philly's is close to 4%.
Does that clear things up?

Old 02-02-2020, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 4,790 times
HTT,

All good replies here, but I think the main factor is going to be your budget. How big a place do you envision? Have you checked out places online? I think anywhere from Ardmore through and including Malvern will provide some great options. Probably more in the way of older properties but with the ability to WALK to the train. On the other hand, as pointed out, there are newer places where you'd need to drive/uber to the train.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:26 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,181,563 times
Answer these questions:https://www.city-data.com/forum/phil...formation.html

Old 02-06-2020, 07:32 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
live in malvern

Old 02-07-2020, 03:24 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Virtually anywhere along the aforementioned Regional Rail line will be good to great. The only other factor may be your budget and, since you anticipate family guests and/or a special roommate, how many bedrooms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: