Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 06:24 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,359,085 times

Advertisements

Pretty POed, actually! As a long-term substitute (full-time for 2 years) I'm the only non-paid teacher!!! Work my butt off for my students; no advocacy & only a few bills will be paid next month!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 11:06 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,599,227 times
I'm retired, so I don't have to go out. I do have a medical appointment on Thursday. I'll Uber/Lyft and just hope nobody who rode in the car had it. Otherwise, I'm thinking if it as a large blizzard complete with French toast.

If you are within a 16 mile radius of the Reading Terminal Market, this may interest you.

Starting today, the 127-year-old market is waiving delivery charges and order minimums. Anyone within a 16-mile radius can buy direct from more than 40 RTM vendors online and have orders carted to the front door. Just use the checkout code: RTMFREE at https://www.mercato.com/shop/reading-terminal-market

Read the rest of the article at : https://billypenn.com/2020/03/13/rea...l-remain-open/

Old 03-17-2020, 01:22 AM

3,677 posts, read 2,570,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
I'm retired, so I don't have to go out. I do have a medical appointment on Thursday. I'll Uber/Lyft and just hope nobody who rode in the car had it. Otherwise, I'm thinking if it as a large blizzard complete with French toast.

If you are within a 16 mile radius of the Reading Terminal Market, this may interest you.

Starting today, the 127-year-old market is waiving delivery charges and order minimums. Anyone within a 16-mile radius can buy direct from more than 40 RTM vendors online and have orders carted to the front door. Just use the checkout code: RTMFREE at https://www.mercato.com/shop/reading-terminal-market

Read the rest of the article at : https://billypenn.com/2020/03/13/rea...l-remain-open/
Thanks, definitely take advantage

Old 03-17-2020, 05:50 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,792,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Fine here. Retired so work is not an issue. Picked up lots of food from RTM on Thursday, most of which has gone in the freezer. Checked in on elderly parents in Delaware this weekend and have concerns, but what are you gonna do? Made another grocery run on the way home plus purchased a stockpile of wine. Coming back this afternoon, I saw a line outside a state liquor store, so that may have been a good decision.

Hope all stay safe and hope it doesn’t hit anyone’s pocketbook. Really feel bad for hourly and part time workers, particularly bar and restaurant staff who are at great financial risk. I hope our government can help. That’s what it’s there for.
Oh, wow, you still have parents? Well, I suppose that's not totally surprising since my aunt, who was born in the city when the 1918 pandemic was going on, is 101. She never leaves her house anymore so she will probably be okay.

I don't drink alcohol so good luck with those purchases for those who do imbibe.

It will be crushing to folks who depend on service jobs. And stuff I was scared of last summer wrt a recession is going to happen. SIGH.

Funnily, not that anything now is funny, Mitt Romney wants to give all adults $1000. Hmmm, kinda makes me think of Andrew Yang and UBI.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:28 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,180,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Gov. Wolf mentioned he wanted to close liquor stores.
When I went to the Wine & Spirits Shoppe* on West Chelten Avenue around 4 yesterday afternoon, the checkout line stretched around the entire store, and the guard at the door was rationing entry. My guess was, these were the people who heard that all the non-essential businesses were ordered closed at 5 p.m.

The guard told me the store would be open regular hours (until 9 that night). I went back home.

About a half hour later, the PLCB sent out an announcement that all of the state liquor stores would close at the end of business that night.

I went back around 7 p.m. The line stretched only halfway around the store. Guess everyone who wanted to stock up did so early. And the shelves had been stripped of much of their booze - mostly the large sizes. Most of the wine and most of the pricier booze were still on the shelves.

So here we are, high, dry (unless you stocked up, as I did) and holed up at home. I've been working from home since we had a conference call Tuesday afternoon in which we were informed that the senior leadership urged us strongly to do so.

I know I don't have COVID-19; my nose remains stuffy and occasionally runny, the aftermath of a pretty bad cold I got three weeks back. But that does mean that I'm immunocompromised, and as I check off two of the three risk boxes (over 60 and type 2 diabetes), I should stay home.

But I know me well enough to know that I can't do that all day, every day. I'll probably take walks around the neighborhood or trek to the supermarket three blocks from me.

It may be a while before I have to do that, though: a friend is bringing me a huge batch of chicken soup later this afternoon.

*The Chelten Avenue State Store hadn't even gotten a new coat of paint since it last got spruced up sometime in the 1980s. It did just get some fresh paint this summer, but the signage is still outdated. I joke that you can't get "Fine Wine & Good Spirits" here.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:17 AM

7,529 posts, read 10,288,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Oh, wow, you still have parents? Well, I suppose that's not totally surprising since my aunt, who was born in the city when the 1918 pandemic was going on, is 101. She never leaves her house anymore so she will probably be okay.
Yea, my parents were quite young when I was born. They are moving from their mid- to their late-80s. They have cared for my intellectually disabled brother for the past 60 years which has aged them further. We will be his guardians once my parents are gone, but are essentially assuming that role now. That was largely the reason for this visit - to get certain services lined up.

Old 03-17-2020, 08:57 AM

1,215 posts, read 961,614 times
Well, I'll say one thing, I'm going to get in killer shape by the time this is all over. Not much to do between calls and WebExs than workout. No sports, no new TV shows, no social gatherings, no bars/restaurants obviously. I just did cardio this morning, will probably do core, abs and stretching mid-day and weights after dinner.

In truly important news though, I've been reading about the service sector and hourly wage workers. Very worrisome. Hopefully some of our billionaires band together and start some funds that allow others to contribute. I would gladly donate 100/month if I knew it was getting to the right people. It would be nice to see humanity step up in the coming weeks.

Regardless, everyone hunker down and stay safe!

Old 03-17-2020, 09:54 AM

273 posts, read 207,880 times
I am fortunate enough to be able to work remotely. However, my wife is essentially a contract worker (K-12 education consulting) and all of her upcoming work has been canceled. Our income has been essentially cut in half at the moment. We do have a decent amount in savings that hopefully we won't have to draw on too much. Paid sick leave won't help her at all.

In addition, our two elementary school age kids are home and the district has imposed distance learning. So we have to work in helping the kids with school as well. This is not fun, lol.

If we had a competent federal government, they would be smart to postpone things like student loan payments and this year's tax deadline.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:14 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,792,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Yea, my parents were quite young when I was born. They are moving from their mid- to their late-80s. They have cared for my intellectually disabled brother for the past 60 years which has aged them further. We will be his guardians once my parents are gone, but are essentially assuming that role now. That was largely the reason for this visit - to get certain services lined up.
Good luck to you!

I did elder care(my mom) for 16 years. So I have a lot of empathy toward anyone facing any kind of family care issues.

Old 03-17-2020, 10:18 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,893,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
I am fortunate enough to be able to work remotely. However, my wife is essentially a contract worker (K-12 education consulting) and all of her upcoming work has been canceled. Our income has been essentially cut in half at the moment. We do have a decent amount in savings that hopefully we won't have to draw on too much. Paid sick leave won't help her at all.

In addition, our two elementary school age kids are home and the district has imposed distance learning. So we have to work in helping the kids with school as well. This is not fun, lol.

If we had a competent federal government, they would be smart to postpone things like student loan payments and this year's tax deadline.
Amen. The federal government is mostly helping to bail out banks (surprise) and big business. A payroll tax cut is all well and good, but what about those that have NO paycheck. Their landlords and creditors are not going to give any breathing room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia