Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2021, 08:37 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised to see little (or no?) chat here about the storm. How is everyone doing in the aftermath of the storm, tornadoes, and flooding? How is your neighborhood? I have only been around Northwest Philly since it hit.

Here in Manayunk, parts of Main Street were hit pretty badly. The rest of the neighborhood, where most people live, is fine, as most people are elevated on a hill.

Work shut down a day late. We are closed today, but we really should have been closed yesterday. Today would have been fine, mostly, if not a hassle to get in.

I'd say the time to start better flood-proofing our city was yesterday.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 09-03-2021 at 09:06 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2021, 08:41 AM

1,170 posts, read 591,905 times
I'm in W Mt. Airy and you'd never know there was a historic storm. But not to far away, Ambler, North Wales and around there got absolutely wrecked. I have some friends in Ambler who are coming down later today to take advantage of my hot water.

Manayunk, I don't know how those buildings get insured. This is I think the 3rd time in about 15 years that the brew pub got completely flooded.

Old 09-03-2021, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
I'm in W Mt. Airy and you'd never know there was a historic storm. But not to far away, Ambler, North Wales and around there got absolutely wrecked. I have some friends in Ambler who are coming down later today to take advantage of my hot water.

Manayunk, I don't know how those buildings get insured. This is I think the 3rd time in about 15 years that the brew pub got completely flooded.
Our part of town is mostly well positioned against flooding. The hills have value beyond aesthetics.

Main Street's viability may lose thunder in coming decades if our infrastructure cannot protect it. Here's to hoping the city can find a means to better protect the parts of our city vulnerable to flooding.

Old 09-03-2021, 09:40 AM

9,340 posts, read 13,007,749 times
We’re now driving back from the Twin Cities, but the pictures of the flooding, particularly the Vine Street Expressway, were shocking.

According to friends who were kind enough to check out our house, our corner of Old Wyndmoor is fine. I was somewhat concerned after hearing about the tornado that formed (but apparently didn’t touch down?) in nearby Flourtown.

We live right around the Township high point, so flooding from rivers and creeks isn’t a concern. The lower areas of Erdenheim and Whitemarsh Village, especially toward Paper Mill Run, may not be so lucky. Our son’s daycare in Erdenheim closed yesterday due to flooding.

We are situated on limestone, which has given us a lot of grief in our basement after heavier storms. We just had a French drain installed and are hopeful that it’s done its job.

Old 09-03-2021, 10:30 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
Major damage here in the Ft Washington area from the tornado that went through, with a number of homes, government buildings and schools damaged or destroyed. A lot of roads are still closed, and many people without power. Fortunately, we were not impacted directly.

For those who are worried about their basement flooding, especially when they are not home, you can now buy water sensors that will alert you through wifi when they detect water. Not much you can do about it if you aren't home, unless you have a friend or family member who can check it out for you, but at least you know that if you don't get and alert that everything is dry.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:00 PM

1,525 posts, read 1,184,063 times
I saw a video on Twitter of some dude doing a backflip off the 22nd Street overpass into the "Vine Street Canal" below. Dude's going to need a tetanus shot and a round of strong antibiotics. Stupid.

Old 09-03-2021, 12:27 PM

1,697 posts, read 972,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
I saw a video on Twitter of some dude doing a backflip off the 22nd Street overpass into the "Vine Street Canal" below. Dude's going to need a tetanus shot and a round of strong antibiotics. Stupid.
you're gonna have to share that....

Old 09-03-2021, 12:32 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,905 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWlL1lgfl3w

Old 09-03-2021, 01:20 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,546 times
They showed that same spot on Fox 29 a couple hours later after the water had receded a foot or so and there was a speed limit sign sticking up just above the surface near where he did that. Fortunately he didn't decapitate himself. Would have made him a Darwin Award candidate.

Old 09-03-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
Yep I too saw this through social media and about vommed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia