Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2023, 07:54 AM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times

Advertisements

I don't visit Philly that much so I'll just say the tearing down of the Vet, replaced by Citizens Bank Park and Lincoln Field, has been the biggest improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2023, 07:58 AM

1,387 posts, read 912,529 times
The gentrification of the river wards (Northern Liberties, Fishtown, now stretching into parts of Kensington).

Old 08-23-2023, 08:41 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,092,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I don't visit Philly that much so I'll just say the tearing down of the Vet, replaced by Citizens Bank Park and Lincoln Field, has been the biggest improvement.
I’m seriously not trying to pick a fight, but is this your way of suggesting that there have been no other significant changes? If so, you clearly don’t get to Philly much, as you freely indicate. There are something like 10,000+ residential units currently under construction.

Old 08-23-2023, 11:22 AM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
For better or worse, housing in Philly has remained surprisingly affordable. I would have thought by now it would resemble Boston, New York or Washington markets but for some reason it hasn't. You can still buy a very nice property in nice parts of south Philly for $300K. Nothing in the so-called affluent suburbs comes even close.
New York (specifically Manhattan) is on a whole different level than Boston and DC. And home prices and rental rates in DC have actually cooled down a bit, whereas NYC and Boston haven't.

But I briefly looked up real estate in the Philly region, and yes, by and large Philadelphia (city) has remained decently affordable in terms of purchasing a home.

Desirable Philly suburbs on the other keep climbing. Median sales price in Lower Merion last month was ~$850k, Media (19063) ~$615k, Chester County, ~$525k.

Last edited by cpomp; 08-23-2023 at 11:31 AM..

Old 08-23-2023, 12:07 PM

8,070 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPP1999 View Post
I’m seriously not trying to pick a fight...you clearly don’t get to Philly much, as you freely indicate.
OK. Thanks for reading my post.

FYI this thread was started in the Pennsylvania forum and was moved to the Philadelphia forum, which I do not subscribe to, after I posted.

Old 08-23-2023, 02:34 PM

1,387 posts, read 912,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
New York (specifically Manhattan) is on a whole different level than Boston and DC. And home prices and rental rates in DC have actually cooled down a bit, whereas NYC and Boston haven't.

But I briefly looked up real estate in the Philly region, and yes, by and large Philadelphia (city) has remained decently affordable in terms of purchasing a home.

Desirable Philly suburbs on the other keep climbing. Median sales price in Lower Merion last month was ~$850k, Media (19063) ~$615k, Chester County, ~$525k.
The median sale price in Newtown is like $1m, which is absolutely nuts. My 4BR 2500 Sq Ft house on <0.25 acre lot has gained $400k since we bought it 9 years ago.

Old 08-24-2023, 07:55 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
The median sale price in Newtown is like $1m, which is absolutely nuts. My 4BR 2500 Sq Ft house on <0.25 acre lot has gained $400k since we bought it 9 years ago.
Wow, that kind of appreciation is truly unprecedented.

And while real estate in many metro areas seems to be "cooling" now, the Philly 'burbs seem to still be in highly competitive territory, due to a lack of inventory, and likely now even more folks than ever priced-out of other East Coast markets like NYC, DC and Boston.

I noted a house in Malvern that was pending at $400,000 over asking just this week! I fear the dam of relative affordability of the 'burbs has truly broken.

Old 08-29-2023, 05:13 AM

2,045 posts, read 784,711 times
"That being said, what do you see as the most significant changes the Philadelphia area has undergone in the last 30 years?"

This was the question asked by the OP. I replied 'Kensington,' quality of life issues and criminal activities. I live here, it's the most significant change I have seen in the last thirty years.

How is this 'trolling,' moderator? You don't live here. Are we supposed to pretend these things don't exist?

Old 08-29-2023, 06:05 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
"That being said, what do you see as the most significant changes the Philadelphia area has undergone in the last 30 years?"

This was the question asked by the OP. I replied 'Kensington,' quality of life issues and criminal activities. I live here, it's the most significant change I have seen in the last thirty years.

How is this 'trolling,' moderator? You don't live here. Are we supposed to pretend these things don't exist?
I remember feeling uneasy when I got off the El at Huntingdon to walk over to Tacconelli's back in the 1980s.

Seems to me that only the face of the unease in East Kensington has changed. Then it was just broken down. Now it's a drug den. And, of course, one stop south, things in East Kensington have improved a good deal. West of the El and north of Norris Square hasn't caught the Wave yet, but give it time.

Old 08-29-2023, 07:24 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,123,920 times
The most significant change is subjective.

A person is only answering from their own POV -- which we all are allowed to have, are we not?

A person could have the first thing come to mind as a positive significant change.
Another person could have the first thing come to mind as being negative.
The person might also -- after bit more, deeper reflection and thought -- change their answer. Again, we are all allowed to do that.

If the question didn't specify positive answers only (which IMO would lead to questioning a possible agenda) then we all free to answer how we see fit.

The first thing I thought of was the crime. But after giving it more thought, I don't know what I'd say it THE most significant change.

Is it improved race relations? I go back to the Frank Rizzo days when minorities if they were smart wouldn't set for in Fishtown, Port Richmond, Mayfair and other areas, too. I remember minorities' houses being fired bombed.

Is it a better city image that can promote a better economy? The start-up incubator image, the world class medical treatment (which I thought we always had).

Is it -- from what we're told -- increased poverty? I don't know.

All I know is I don't feel safe in the city. Whatever safe means. I do know my head is on swivel with my situational awareness always up the very few times I'm out in the city. I do live here but do everything in the suburbs.

How is it possible that I can spend all day in Bryn Mawr or Wayne -- or even Kennet Square or Glen Mills -- heck even Folsom or Springfield of Broomall -- and not hear a single thump-thump thump blasting from a car window, no loud phone conversations, no MF this and MF that?

Compare that peaceful day out to one in the city where I have to worry about getting shot, or seeing a smash and grab, or a teen mob, or a fight over a parking space. And obviously there teens and parking spaces and stores in all the other places I mentioned.

So yeah, when I think of the most significant change in 30 years I do tend to think it was a negative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia