Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2008, 11:02 AM

17 posts, read 47,754 times

Advertisements

Since finding out on Wednesday that we're moving from DC area (Bethesda) to Philadelphia, we took a whirlwind tour of city neighborhoods and Main Line suburbs and we've been scouring the internet for house listings. We finally decided that it's best for us to rent right now, and there is a house in Society Hill for rent that looks great.

We have a 3 year old and a 9 week old and a dog (german shepherd mix). We drove and walked around Society Hill on Sunday and loved the feel of it (for my husband and I), but it's hard to tell from just wandering around how kid friendly it is. We'd like to find a preschool nearby for our 3 yr old, and a nanny (we both work). Are there lots of young kids in the area? What about playgrounds, library, parks and maybe even swimming pools?

We would rent for maybe 1-2 years, so we don't need to worry about schools yet. Unless of course, we love it there and want to stay, but by then we would know more about schools in the city.

Lastly, is Society Hill pretty racially diverse (We're a Jewish-Asian family)? From what I've read about the area, it seems like it is, but just wanted to get some more perspectives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 03:06 PM

17 posts, read 47,754 times
I can't figure out how to edit my post, but I wanted to add Rittenhouse Square as another area that we would be interested in

Old 06-10-2008, 04:19 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,589,431 times
I would suggest you look in Queen Village, it's a bit south (walkable) of Society Hill, but you will find more families there. There is a park at 3rd and Catherine and Seger Playground is within walking distance.

Seger Playground Philadelphia, PA - Seger Playground Parks & Outings - Seger Playground Reviews.

There is a library in the vicinity, and there would be no problem with diversity.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:30 PM

360 posts, read 993,083 times
Society Hill has everything you're looking for. Three Bears Park is charming, the branch library that serves the neighborhood is the Independence Branch, there are good daycare centers, and I see many nannies out with kids.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:02 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,538,899 times
Quote:
Lastly, is Society Hill pretty racially diverse (We're a Jewish-Asian family)? From what I've read about the area, it seems like it is, but just wanted to get some more perspectives.
i think it is. center city on the whole is pretty racially diverse. especially with society hill being nestled between old city and south street. although, i don't really know too much about society hill residents..just an assumption.

Last edited by john_starks; 06-11-2008 at 07:33 PM..

Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 AM

81 posts, read 273,816 times
I used to live in Queen Village when I was much, much younger, and we were able to walk to Three Bears Park and all around Society Hill all the time (we lived on Moyamensing Ave, right after it split off 2nd), we'd even walk to South Street since my father worked at, and my uncle co-owned, the Monte Carlo Living Room there. There was also a playground by the water tower that you can see off of 95, but I have no clue how that place is now, I haven't been there in years. I know when I lived there (1989-1994), there was a nursery/kindergarten on Moyamensing, right before Washington Ave, that I and my cousins went to and got to meet a lot of kids.

Old 06-13-2008, 03:47 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
Society Hill is a lot like Georgetown in DC except more residential and less commercial and with more familys and fewer singles. It is a pretty fancy, upscale as well as sophisticated neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia