Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 09:10 AM

11 posts, read 27,646 times

Advertisements

What does the philadelphia public think about condoms in the schools

The junior high and high school age group have started showing numbers that scare me
that the youth are having unprotected sex and contracting stds and hiv/aids
If the children are our future, we must disapline ourselves and childred because hiv/aids can devistate an adult and it would a child
I think about daily how I WE CITY GOVERNMENT can put a stop too the epidemic and it start in the home education and prevention

DO YOU THINK THAT THEIR SHOULD BE CLINICS IN THE SCHOOLS IN PHILADELPHIA WHERE TEENS CAN RECIEVE COUNCIL AND CONDOMS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 09:17 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffwms44 View Post
DO YOU THINK THAT THEIR SHOULD BE CLINICS IN THE SCHOOLS IN PHILADELPHIA WHERE TEENS CAN RECIEVE COUNCIL AND CONDOMS
Yes. Having condoms or some service available is not going to make or break a kid's decision in having sex. I always found it ridiculous to assume that having birth control available encourages sex. Counseling is extremely helpful. Some aren't sure or are confused about what they want, and having a safe place to discuss the issue (and not just being preached to) is very important. There's also the cultural issue that needs to be worked on with "real men don't wear condoms." Counseling can help, even if it just gives the girls the confidence to insist on protection.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:01 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
If every parent was willing to give good counsel and education to their child regarding sex ed, we would not have nearly as big a problem as we do now. Unfortunately, many parents skip this part of their child's education.

Our school district (not Philadelphia) has health education starting in 5th grade and continuing off and on through high school. We joke that it covers sex one year and drug abuse the next. By the time the kids finish HS, they know way more about both then I ever did. I think that education is power and I would rather my kids learn the facts from someone that really knows them.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 AM

144 posts, read 460,970 times
There are some schools in Philadelphia where condoms are distributed. Sadly not all of the high schools are in the program. Do I think they all should be, yes, but even then without the right education starting at home and continuing in school it probably wouldn't matter.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:23 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkosiek View Post
...but even then without the right education starting at home and continuing in school it probably wouldn't matter.
I'd agree. Counseling is definitely the more important thing to provide. Ideally, it'd come from parents too, but unfortunately that generally doesn't seem to be happening for many.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:10 PM

15 posts, read 64,556 times

Sadly, we don't even have a full time nurse in our school. She is there 2 days a week.

Old 08-15-2008, 09:36 AM

Default Toobusytoday

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
If every parent was willing to give good counsel and education to their child regarding sex ed, we would not have nearly as big a problem as we do now. Unfortunately, many parents skip this part of their child's education.

Our school district (not Philadelphia) has health education starting in 5th grade and continuing off and on through high school. We joke that it covers sex one year and drug abuse the next. By the time the kids finish HS, they know way more about both then I ever did. I think that education is power and I would rather my kids learn the facts from someone that really knows them.

I AM EVERY PARENT AND THE FACT IS BECAUSE OF THE DRUG EPIDEMIC AND ALCOHOL EPIDEMIC A LOT OF KIDS PARENT WERE OUT ON SICK CALL
SO WITH THAT THIS BEING A SOCIATY FOR LIFE LET US NOT FOR GET THAT CHILDREN ARE OUR FUTURE AND IF WE CAN JUST EDUCATE THEM TO ACT (use condoms) the unwanted children, stds HIV/AIDS NUMBERS JUST MAY GO DOWN THE REALITY IS THAT THESE CLINICS ARE NOT RUN BY TEACHER FROM THE SCHOOL DISTRICT AND I FOR ONE AS A PERSON INFECTED WITH HIV WILL GIVE MY TIME TOO THE CLINICS DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR IT SEEMS THAT YOU YOURSELF NEED TO PROGRESS WITH THE TIMES EDUCATION PREVENTION AND TREATMENT CONDOMS ARE ONLY PART OF THE TOOLS WE CAN GIVE THEM ANYTHING AFTER THAT IS A CHOICE THE INDIVIDUALS MAKE

Old 08-15-2008, 09:56 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
What?? I'm not trying to be rude, but if you would proof your post, it would be very helpful. I have no idea if you think condoms and clinics are a good idea or a bad idea.

Old 08-15-2008, 02:21 PM

Default Re:too busytoday

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
what?? I'm not trying to be rude, but if you would proof your post, it would be very helpful. I have no idea if you think condoms and clinics are a good idea or a bad idea.

I think they are good
and just trying too find out your position
thats why i put the question out there
but thanks

Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 AM

The phlly school district promised 1991 to fund condom distribution programs in all high schools(policicy 123) they began with a pilot program in nine schools. But have not exspanded the program again until this year. The lives of the studentents in the 51 schools without condom distrution programs are worth just as much as the lives of the students in the 11 schools with condom programs. After 17 years it's time to wrap it up! Mayor nutter and school superintendant ackerman need to provide condoms to all high school students now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: